NCL's Norwegian Star Stuck in Singapore

Norwegian StarI received this message from a crew member of the Norwegian Star:

"At the moment I am on NCL Star and we are in Singapore, still in Singapore!

We were scheduled to leave on 11th at 6 pm for 11 days to Hong Kong. We got delayed because it took forever for immigration to process the guests! Some guests were held for 5 hours in the terminal. So finally at 8 pm after we finished all that captain made an announcement that can't actually leave due to the engine problems. Half an hour after half an hour announcement we stayed over night.  And we are staying at the moment in Singapore until 3 pm on 13th of December. One engine is down and some electrical issues with azipods.

This is not the first time, after a dry dock few years back ship broke down right away and the first cruise was canceled and ship returned to the dry dock for repairs. And few months ago we could not sail out of Stockholm at 4 pm to have a sea day the next day to reach Copenhagen for embarkation. We reached Copenhagen at 4pm with absolute nightmare caused to the guest booking flights on their own.

This cruise is already fully refunded to the guests and they will get 50% off the next cruise they choose."

Have a thought? Please leave a comment below or join the discussion on our Facebook page.

Photo credit: Pjotr Mahhonin - CC BY-SA 3.0, commons / wikimedia.

December 12, 2016 Update: Speed to be restricted; new itinerary below (via a travel agent).

December 20, 2016 Update: NCL has notofied its travel agents and future passengers that the intinerary of the Norwegian Star starting on January 16, 2017 has changed. This is the email received:

"Norwegian Cruise Line has important information for you regarding Norwegian Star's 21-Day Southeast Asia sailing of January 16 to February 6, 2017 from Hong Kong, China. All guests booked on this sailing need to be aware of this change.

On the evening of December 10, while departing the port of Singapore, Norwegian Star experienced a technical issue with one of the ship's Azipods. As a result of this technical issue, Norwegian Star will have to sail a revised itinerary for the January 16 to February 6, 2017 sailing from Hong Kong, China.

Please review the revised itinerary information below:

As a gesture of our thanks for our guests' understanding of this unforeseen delay and change in itinerary, we will provide a $200 shipboard credit per stateroom. If you pre purchased shore excursions for Thailand, those will be refunded and posted to your onboard account."

NCL Norwegian Star

January 3, 2017 Update: A local ABC news station in Jacksobville aired a video of an unhappy NCL customer who took her first cruise on the Norwegian Star.

January 26, 2017 UpdateNCL's Norwegian Star Suffers Engine Failure Again.

Comments (158) Read through and enter the discussion with the form at the end
Steve T. Raney - December 12, 2016 6:15 AM

I am onboard the NCL STAR and the information is correct and the Captain has issued a revised itinerary to include stops in Nah Trang, Chan May and Sanya and then arriving in Hong Kong. The members of the crew have been quiet attentive to our needs and concerns.

NCL is handling the situation very professionally!!

pascal - December 12, 2016 8:15 PM

We have done the cruise from Dubai to Singapore. Now, Thuesday 9am I can confirm that the ncl Star is still in Singapore. We can see it from the Hotel Marina Bay.
lucky that our journey is over without problems.

Good luck

Silvia - December 12, 2016 8:45 PM

Just were told the ship isn't departing until tonight. Back on board time changed from 1pm to 9pm now.

Tammie - December 12, 2016 9:21 PM

NCL is my favorite ship, we are on board, and of course getting off to enjoy Singapore again, but hey a free cruise and it is still relaxing. I think NCL handled this way beyond our expectations, thank you NCL

Kyler - December 12, 2016 11:34 PM

Stuck in Singapore, my brother and I are happily participating in activities On board.
Nice holiday!

Kyler

Dave - December 13, 2016 1:22 AM

Only issue I have is that today is the third day and they are still waiting for the "expert" to fly in to look it over. Seems with over 3,000 people stuck they would have had him get on a flight immediately.

Ken Lakhi - December 13, 2016 1:30 AM

The ships captain is not telling us the truth. Stuck here for the third day. Yes, they have refunded the cost of this trip. This over back to back cruise, starting from Dubai. They should refund the entire Ruiz cost and some more. Everything is hush-hush here. No staff members knows what's going on. Captain announced this morning USA engineers are coming, to fix the problem. I doubt they will get it fixed. The ship has to go back on dry dock to fix the engine problem. They need to tell us the truth, nothing but the exact truth. They should pay for all the pain and suffering of all passengers. Even though they are telling us that we will Singapore this evening at 9pm. I bet it's not going to happen.

I demand the truth and better compensation.

Mrs English - December 13, 2016 2:55 PM

Have you left Singapore?

Mervyn Drew - December 14, 2016 2:56 PM

We are getting onboard 5th January Singapore to Hong Kong hopefully it will be sorted by then hope they keep in touch

Mervyn Drew - December 14, 2016 2:57 PM

Assif Taki - December 15, 2016 4:10 AM

I called NCL this morning regarding the propulsion issue on the NCL Star. After being put on long holds three times, I was told by two customer service reps as well as a supervisor that they had no information and were unaware of any issues with regard the Dec. 22nd sailing from Hong Kong.

We are a family of four travelling from San Diego to Hong Kong this Friday Dec. 16 AM and needless to say, we are concerned that NCL has not provided any information and appears unwilling to do so regarding changes or cancellations to the Hong Kong to Singapore cruise itinerary!

Jean Freeman - December 15, 2016 11:13 AM

We are on the December 22, 2016 cruise. We haven't heard anything from NCL. We are wondering if the ship is setting sail... I really don't want to fly for fifteen hours just to find out the cruise is cancelled. Passengers need to know so we can make alternative plans.

JOSEPH MIGUEL - December 17, 2016 11:55 AM

We are also on the Dec 22 cruise from Hong Kong. We received a message yesterday, saying that the itinerary had to been changed. They are skipping 4 ports and are offering 100% refund to cancel the trip, or if you want a long boat ride 50% discount and another 50% off on the next cruise. It looks like the problem is still not fixed and they are going half speed.

Keith Mitchell - December 17, 2016 2:12 PM

NCL today have confirmed itinerary charge with refunds.
Still not sure whether cruise will go ahead.
Looking forward to 11 days in Hong Kong!!!!!!!!

David Schlesinger - December 17, 2016 6:55 PM

My wife and I are also flying to Hong Kong tomorrow night 12/18 from the states to get on the 12/22 cruise. I sure hope there are no major surprises about the 'revised itinerary for our upcoming 14 day cruise. Norwegian has offered 50% off, plus the other 50% off an upcoming cruise of our choice, which is fine as long as the boat actually works. Reading things like the captain is not telling the truth is a bit disturbing, and hopefully not true!

Warren Ma - December 17, 2016 7:31 PM

Is Norwegian Star still in Singapore?

Robert L. Bradley - December 19, 2016 10:29 PM

I'm booked on the Singapore to Hong Kong cruise scheduled to depart Singapore on January 5, and I received a notice tonight that we will stay overnight in Singapore on that date and depart the next evening. It also said we would not be stopping in Thailand, but have extra at-sea days. They are only offering to refund 20% of our cruise fare and pre-paid shore excursions. So it looks like the problem hasn't been fixed yet.

Debbie - December 20, 2016 3:07 PM

I am also booked for the Jan 5 cruise from Singapore. Wondering if anyone has an update. The change in itinerary, not to mention the prospect of being stuck in ports and extended days at sea, is really disappointing. I take cruses in order to see various parts of the world, not just to sit on a deck. Knowing that the mechanical issues have been going on since August and we are just now learning of all the scheduling changes and problems, of course AFTER everyone has made shore/port plans, does not speak well of the cruise line, 20% refund or not.

Sheila Drage - December 20, 2016 3:11 PM

We are due to depart Hong Kong on 16 January cruise, and tonight have received an email about a change of itinerary which means 1 extra sea day but missing out Ho Chi Minh City and Bangkok. We've only been offered 200 USD per state room as onboard credit, and a refund of excursions in Thailand, no mention of refund of excursions to Ho Chi Minh City.
We are obviously a somewhat concerned about whether we will be going at all, after reading other posts, and if we are, will they compensate us as others seem to have been offered.

Carole - December 20, 2016 4:58 PM

We are booked on the Star's January 16 - February 6 Hong Kong to Sydney cruise and received advisement via our travel agent of the changes in itinerary. The offer of $200 per stateroom is hardly enough. We were excited about Ho Chi Minh and Bankok and now will be at sea additional days. Worried about making the 16 plus hour flight and being told the cruise is cancelled. Mechanical problems happen, however, they've had bad history with this Azipod problem and we have little faith that our cruise will happen or that we'll be constantly worried about being stuck wherever! Think NCL should have contacted us directly and sending out daily updates.

Simon Wills - December 21, 2016 4:55 AM

Any updates on the Jan 5th sailing from Singapore anyone? We have not heard a bean from our agent or NCL. Really disappointing!

Sheila Drage - December 21, 2016 5:31 AM

Update - phoned NCL this morning (they've got a dedicated helpdesk for the issue).
I had checked the terms and conditions and as NCL are missing 2 ports on the booked itinerary we are entitled to a full refund with cancellation. Decided to do this as didn't want the worry of not knowing if the ship would be OK while we were on it. Extremely disappointed as we booked this over a year ago, but relieved that we at least will get our full refund and can now choose something else at our leisure.

loretta belladonna - December 21, 2016 6:09 AM

just got noticed that our 5th January cruise has revised iternery instead of 4 stops its now 2 I am so upset as there is 28 of us travelling and we are only offered 20% refund that's a whole lot of croc the Princess cruise gave all the passangers a free cruise as they couldn't do 2 stops. What happens if we are stranded at a port or at sea. Thinking we should all cancelled so disappointed as we all have been looking so forward to this cruise since April

Craig B - December 21, 2016 9:56 AM

Booked on the January 16th cruise and really upset at cancelling 2 major ports and the totally inadequate offer of $200 per cabin (not person). I've written NCL--we've got too many other plans to cancel, but I'm on a rant against NCL. Really stupid customer service on this one! Considering our options.

Debbie - December 21, 2016 12:21 PM

I just got off the phone with NCL. I'm booked for the Jan 5th cruise. This is a nightmare. The mechanical problems still exist and will continue for some time, though they are not allowing any 100% cancellation refunds, thus there is no option to make other cruise or hotel plans and basically I will be forced to go on this cruise that is not what I paid for. All they could do was apologize, but basically told me I was out of luck. There is no more than a 20% refund offered and no credit toward another cruise, which I'm not sure I'd want anyway. It will definitely be my LAST Norwegian cruise and I will absolutely be spreading the word about this company.

Janie - December 21, 2016 1:52 PM

We're jumping ship, thanks to NCL's austere goodwill on their January 5 sailing of the Star. Rather than missing Bangkok altogether, we'll foot the extra bill for a minimal outside cabin aboard the Volendam's January 8 cruise to similar ports and more. But what a big hassle and scramble!

Megan Buchan - December 21, 2016 3:27 PM

...........A note for those people dep on 5 JAN...NCL syd office advised me that if you made your booking thru an Australian travel agent,you are entitled to a FULL refund, but for suckers like us who booked thru a US site, only 20 percent refund applies and we end up on a broken ship spending 5 days at sea instead of going to lovely places like Koh Samui and Nha Trang. NOT good enough Norwegian, EVERY passenger should be entitled to refund as the itinery has been changed SO dramatically !!!

Debbie - December 21, 2016 3:50 PM

I couldn't agree with you more Megan. I'm in the same "broken" boat that you are, having booked from the US directly with NCL. Unfair. Live and learn. Just so sad.

Carole - December 21, 2016 6:00 PM

Janie, You are "jumping ship" in spite of NCL's refusal to refund your fully paid for cruise? We're on the Jan 16 cruise and would lose a bundle; cruise and flights. Would love to salvage this and hop on another cruise but believe that is impossible. We did an Alaska cruise on NCL 6 months ago and it was perfect!

Martin - December 21, 2016 8:41 PM

Sailing on the 16th. Planned to meet up with friends in Laem Chabang which is not going to happen. Extremely disappointed and upset the way NCL is handling the issue. Called customer service for clarity and went on up the line from one supervisor to another. In one sense it was a waste of time but in another if passengers are persistent and perhaps vocal someone at NCL might be listening and willing to make appropriate compensation.

Martin - December 21, 2016 8:42 PM

Hammy - December 21, 2016 8:48 PM

Between yesterday and today, NCL removed all Star cruises from its booking website! That is quite telling. That means that absolutely no one knows if, when, or how the Star will get to where it is supposed to go. NCL is smart to cut its losses and remove the ability for further bookings until the problem is resolved. Clearly, it is unresolved.

As an aside, I was on the Star for 114 days this year. I jumped off at Dubai. While it is an old, tired ship, and needs updating, the current itinerary is quite compelling, and is absolutely amazing with ports that may likely never be seen again from a (relatively large), modern cruise ship. I was going to take advantage of the melee that just occurred and grab a low rate for a few back-to-backs, but sadly, it is obvious that is not going to happen.

Kathy - December 21, 2016 9:14 PM

Last year I was on RCCL Anthem of the Seas. Our cruise was cut short 2 days because of weather. RCCL refunded us for 2 days and gave us 50% of what we paid for our cruise as credit on a future cruise. I was happy with that compensation. I'll be on the March cruise on the Star out of Dubai...I hope!!! NCL is not being very generous with compensation for those cruisers that have been affected by these schedule changes. Penny wise-dollar foolish.

Kathy - December 21, 2016 9:15 PM

Pat - December 21, 2016 10:45 PM

Party of 5 booked for Jan 5th -16th , 11 days saling from Singapore to HK. SO disappointed! I did not even get a notice in my NCL!!! I noticed that the itinary had changed when logging in my account and started Googling. Was So looking forward to Thailand! I would just cancel if not for airfare and hotel penalties as we are flying in a bit early to sightsee Singapore but now with even more extra days. I think NCL should give a bigger discount. Thought NCL star just got revamped recently!

Janie - December 22, 2016 11:31 AM

Well, Carole, by "jumping ship" on the Star's Jan 05 cruise, we do lose $$ as the NCL trip cancellation insurance will refund only 75% of the fare we paid (applicable toward a future NCL cruise, hmmmm). By booking the Volendam's 14-day cruise out of Singapore on Jan 03, we gain 3 days and see the ports we intended plus a Cambodian port. We'll have a lesser cabin by paying the minimum outside fare while hoping for a cabin upgrade. We'll also lose 2 days of pre-paid Singapore hotel and 1 day of pre-paid Hong Kong hotel. Additionally, we'll lose our NCL Platinum perks. Our air flights remain intact. We feel this is the price to pay to avoid boarding the Star when it's limping along on a deviated itinerary.

Derrick - December 22, 2016 11:42 AM

Have just noticed the sailing on 16th January has extra overnight in Singapore, rest of cruise is as original itinerary. Does this mean there may be a chance of repairs in Singapore. Just a thought!

David Michielson - December 22, 2016 12:00 PM

Similar problem with Jan 5th cruise- hotels and flights pre-booked and expensive to change. Poor response ie no response- from NCL and useless help and advice from Iglu cruises UK office. 20% discount is feeble and 4 excursion tripsq to be given as cruise credit. Will be insisting on cash refund. 50% reduction normal for such issues and disgraceful that NCL has known about problem with Star since August.

Carole mason - December 22, 2016 12:54 PM

Hi was just wondering if there is any news on the 22 December cruise from Hong Kong.

Linda Durec - December 22, 2016 11:44 PM

I am scheduled on the January 5th departure and only found out about the change in ports through Cruise Critic and roll call. Totally unacceptable. The only reason we booked this cruise was because of the ports. Otherwise I would have gone with my first preference of cruise lines which is Celebrity. I will never book another Norwegian Cruise again. So disappointing.

Linda Durec - December 22, 2016 11:45 PM

Julia Droulia - December 23, 2016 6:21 AM

Same here, we booked the 5th of January cruise for our honeymoon through Iglu cruises. No-one contacted us and we found out from a third party cruisingexcursions.com. We phoned and emailed iglu cruises and they haven't still replied us about any compensation. Totally unacceptable from both NCL and Iglu cruises.

Vangie - December 23, 2016 9:23 AM

Four of us are going on the Jan 5 Singapore to HK route. Is it even SAFE to go ahead with this cruise considering the problems that the are having right now?

Regina Trofimow-Fabian - December 23, 2016 10:28 AM

We are booked on the Norwegian Star cruise of January 16th starting in Hong Kong . After getting informed yesterday of the change of the itinerary skipping the harbors of Bangkok and Saigon I canceled the cruise and will try to get the 100% of the money back which seems to be possible following German consumer laws. The pod problem started on December 10th and it seems as if it is still existing.. It looks as if they want to fix it on the two days stop in Singapore . My last booking with NCL .

TONY CHANNING - December 23, 2016 10:41 AM

I am scheduled on the 5th NCL Norwegian Star

Just told of new itinerary and it is disgraceful to late to book anything for the 2nd Jan
So disappointing it has ruined my Christmas

Jean Bradburn - December 23, 2016 11:05 AM

Very upset, we have just been emailed with the new itinerary for our cruise on the Star starting on the 16th January for 21 night. Missing out on two ports and one being Ho Chi Minh City and Thailand. I think 200 dollars per state room a disgrace.

Debbie - December 23, 2016 11:36 AM

So, the latest on my Jan 5th booking. Ironically, just prior to receiving NCL's notification on 12/19 of the massive itinerary change, I had booked two of their shore excursions, neither of which are now valid, as one is for a port we are no longer going to and the other is now for the completely wrong day. I figured that NCL would not process the credit card payment, since the product sold to me no longer exists. They did! It posted to my credit card yesterday!! Unbelievable. Shore excursion offerings went from 22 to 6 for this cruise! Wondering how they are going to accommodate all of the passengers who might like to get off the ship at some point, with only 6 potential tours. I feel like the whole cruise is a bait and switch, especially considering NCL has known about the Star's mechanical issues since August!. This is NOT even close to the cruise that I booked. 20% refund, and no option to cancel with a full refund, is criminal. Do we, as consumers have no rights at all? In following the comments, it's obvious that many passengers probably have no idea about any of this, due to NCL's lack of notification. The vibe on the cruise, when everyone finds out, should be just lovely....NOT.

Ian Turnbull - December 23, 2016 12:56 PM

We are booked on NCLcruise from Singapore to Hong Kong on 5th January 2017 and are really upset that we are not going to get what we booked and what we have been looking forward to for months.
Can anyone explain why we are not going to Thailand but are still going to other ports including an additional one in Vietnam Nam.
Surely this technical problem will exist wherever we go, so how come we can still be at sea for several days and fulfill some of the itinery?

Chris Gough - December 23, 2016 2:43 PM

My wife and I are also booked on the Star supposedly departing Singapore on 5/1/17
but this afternoon get a call from our travel agent saying about the new itinerary.To say the least I was not amused as this was a special trip for us and booked with business class flights both ways and a suite on board.We were really looking forward to the days in and around Thailand.Had also booked outside excursions and currency for the visit .Now have to wait for the promised phone call next week to see what the decision is ,i.e. To go or cancel.I really have lost the enthusiasm for this trip now and really don't fancy having spent £7k on a trip I didn't choose.I spent hours on internet arranging things forr each place we were to visit ,including meeting with a friend in Bangkok who would show us around.Have cruised with other cruise lines many times and had great time on ncl epic a while ago but never had this happen before.I will be holding out for a complete refund ,including flights,unless I can be offered better than the 20% which they are offering.Not a happy bunny

Ben O' Meara - December 23, 2016 6:36 PM

Planned this holiday for the last 6 months to coincide with our 50th wedding anniversary, really looking forward to seeing Thailand and enjoying the cruise in general, we
are due to board the Star on the 5th Jan, everthing booked through Planet Cruises, not happy with the revised itinerary may suite NCL but certainly does not suite me.

Extra days at sea and major changes to the itinerary, l have requested a full refund for the holiday inc trips

Why were NCL selling cruises when they new there maybe a problem with the Ship.

So many disappointed customers, not good enough NCL show some integrity and compensate customers fairly, retaining customers is easirer than getting new ownes, this was to be our 5th Cruise with NCL, and depending on the outcome it may well be the last one, (will post any updates).

Giorgio - December 24, 2016 8:43 AM

NCL customer service has been very attentive and helpful to me: they notified the change of the January 5 cruise's itinerary back on December 19 through automated email and yesterday (December 23) I also received another email from a customer service person explaining my options:
- get full refund if I decide to cancel the cruise; or
- get 20% of what I paid back to my bank account if I decide to keep my booking.

Sure, I am disappointed my family and I are missing Bangkok (we already booked a private tour and hotel overnight in city); on the other hand, we now have two days in Saigon which might be just as fascinating and I think Hue is far a better port than Nha Trang.

I really do not understand all the ranting and complaining seen in the posts above: after all, we are still going out to have an amazing experience in beautiful countries, on a luxurious cruise ship - which is something only very few (privileged) people can enjoy. I will not let this small accident ruin my long waited holiday.
Besides, if many people decide to cancel their cruise, we are going to have more space on board and more attention by crew and staff!

Chris Gough - December 25, 2016 7:36 AM

Just as a reply to comments by Georgio above .I understand you are happy to have your 20% refund on your cruise ,but with regards to your calling our comments " rantings."

Just consider the fact that not everyone has the same plans as you have.We booked this trip around the idea of meeting friends in Thailand and getting chauffeured around the sights by a resident.This was a specially planned cruise for a special occasion and we were not advised of changes in itinerary untill last Friday and then only to tell us that full information would not be available untill, this Wednesday. We had booked a full itinerary of excursions with an outside company and if we waited till Wednesday the refund value would have been halved.

As you, quite rightly, we are privelidged to be able to go on a cruise like this but as we have put in our savings to get our dream cruise with all the extras we were not prepared to accept half measures as it would be a while before we could afford this again .I will be holding out for a full refund as the new itinerary is not one I would have booked. I hope you enjoy your revised cruise but please consider other people have different views to you. Regards Chris

Rodney Scales - December 25, 2016 10:20 AM

I really wanted to go to Saigon but at least I get too go to another port in Vietnam and Australia l heard a lot Night Safari in Singapore. I am disappointed but I do like NCL Star a whole lot. Maybe if enough people cancelled I ask for an upgrade.

Marlene Woods - December 25, 2016 5:37 PM

We have not even been told about the changes, found out accidentally. 8 pf us leaving Australia on the 30th cruising the 5th Jan. No email no contact fron NCL or TA. 4 days on ship is not my idea of fun. no Bangkok or Ko Sami and the extra port added is in the middle of no where. Out tours we had booked are now on sea days what a joke. Had private tours arranged too plus meeting friends in Bangkok. Cancelling not an option as we fly home from Hong Kong. Only 6 tours being offered by NCL now. This is a joke an so not happy

Della Robinson - Dec 26th 2016 - December 26, 2016 12:34 AM

We only found out Christmas Eve that the itinerary leaving Singapore on 5th January had changed - why did NCL leave it so long to notify us? And why the difference in the refund policy between Australia (50%) and the US (20%)? I would have thought that NCL being a US company, the reverse would apply! I feel that the refund for us suckers who booked with a US company is totally inadequate - come on NCL do the right thing - we're already devastated that we are missing out on Thailand... not to mention having to spend more time on board paying cruise-drink-prices, etc., instead of sitting at a lovely beach bar in Ko Samui. We need proper compensation, else this will be the last NCL cruise for us.

Pat - December 26, 2016 11:30 AM

Flying to Singapore from Canada. Still have not gotten an official notice through my NCL on dec. 26 th. Can't even ask question online! I received email from my travel agent that it will be a 20% credit refund. Hope it will not turn out to be whoever complains the most will get better refunds or upgrades! It will make for great cruising atmosphere cooped up at see for 5 days!

Carole - December 26, 2016 3:02 PM

We're on January 16 cruise. Saigon & Bangkok eliminated. cruise Offered pathetic $200 per stateroom. We'd be happy with a 20% refund but NCL is adamant about denying our cruise any refund. We are paying top $ for Penthouse Suite +bundle for 17 hour flight(s). Worst part is anxiety not knowing if cruise will even happen. Will our fellow Jan 16 passengers stand firm together for fair treatment?

Regina Fabian - December 27, 2016 6:30 AM

Yes, CAROLE, we should stay together! Who wants to go on a cruise with a ship which is able to do only half speed and nobody is telling you when it will be in perfect technical state. And the two most interesting places out of the planned itinerary. We are definitely not going .NCL choose wisely a late moment before Christmas for the information of the passengers.

Denise Bannell - December 27, 2016 10:54 AM

Have sent a email to our agents who are extremely upset that we were not told until the 23 about change of itinerary with less stops.
This was my Birthday present and I have waited nearly a year to be told that we are not going to Thailand .
As regards to 20% off is not enough especially spending more days at sea and missing the highlight of the whole cruise .
Some Birthday present I have received this time which was the 25 to be told this.....

Kerry - December 27, 2016 4:25 PM

Group of 8 of us travelling from Australia for the January 5th cruise only found out Christmas eve as by mistake as my friend went to show her husband Where we were off too. Our Travel agent or NCL did not inform us on any of the changed itinerary.. not impressed at all, have cruised many times but our first and last with NCL, very bad customer service as we have been trying to find out from both our TA and NCL about what's happening and getting told either they dont know about the problem or they feel our pain.. (I dont think so, very disappointed kids and to top it off try traveling with a daughter with special needs and doesn't like change)

Rosemary - December 27, 2016 7:06 PM

We are booked on the Jan 16 cruise out of Hong Kong on the Star and are completely dismayed at the way NCL is handling this. We have been offered the tiny amount of $200 PER CABIN on board credit for missing two very important ports in Thailand and Vietnam which were the prime motivation for this cruise. We are Australians and know all of the Aus ports well, they were just a great way to get home.

It seems the discounts offered have diminished with each cruise and that is very unfair. We left one day late on a previous cruise with NCL and did not miss any ports. We received a refund for that day and the cost of our hotel night, as well as 50% discount off a future cruise. We feel we are being discriminated against on this occasion. A social media campaign may change NCL's mind! Speaking to NCL's Australian office today was a waste of time, apparently senior staff are on holiday and we had no satisfaction from the person who took the call.

Della Robinson - December 27, 2016 9:00 PM

Yes, Rosemary, it does appear that discounts/refunds have diminished with each passing (changed itinerary) cruise, which is definitely unfair to us future passengers.
I will be informing all our cruise friends on social media, about the difference in refund percentages between booking in Australia and the US - I'd also like to see that discrepancy in print.
We could just about afford an inside cabin, so goodness knows how much extra we'll be spending with more days at sea! It's all been very disappointing.

Chris - December 27, 2016 9:03 PM

We leave January 16th. Everyone must keep one thing in mind. The power of a letter does not come from what you say, or who you send it to. The power of a letter comes
from who you carbon copy.

Brent - December 27, 2016 9:40 PM

I'm on the Jan 16 cruise ,too. Who can we email? Some of us on Cruise Critic have been emailing Vivian Ewart but she hasn't gotten back to anyone (granted, it is the holiday season, which doesn't help matters).

Pamela - December 27, 2016 10:06 PM

We are booked to go on the January 16, 2017 Star NCL cruise. We also are extremely upset over this entire debacle. This ship has been broken for MANY MONTHS and we are all getting "played" by NCL. I am going to write a FORMAL complaint to, " The Federal Maritime Commission " who has the power to assist us with the very thing NCL is dragging us through. $200.00 compensation for missing 2 MAIN PORTS of interest and the anxiety of being on a ship that is not mechanically sound is ludicrous; absurd, ridiculous, farcical, laughable, risible, preposterous, foolish, mad, insane, idiotic, stupid, inane, silly, asinine, nonsensical; So I urge others to go to "The Federal Maritime Commission", site and let them know what's happening.

Debbie - December 27, 2016 10:13 PM

Just in case others have not been notified, I just received notification today of yet ANOTHER major change in itinerary for the Jan 5 cruise. Stupid me, I was again in the process of trying to set up a 2-day tour in Ho Chi Minh City, but now we are arriving on different days and drastically different times, so that options is out. Another shore tour cancellation. I think I've finally learned my lesson with NCL that any pre-planning, not through NCL, does not work. I will have to utilize one of their 6 offered excursions if we are to see anything at all in any of these countries. I definitely won't be booking anything until we are actually on the ship. Sigh. Of course, no offer of additional compensation from NCL. Heartbreaking.

Sue - December 28, 2016 6:56 AM

My husband and I have been looking forward to our January 16 cruise for almost 12 months but honestly we now feel a little uneasy as to what may eventuate while onboard the Star. I am very aware that technical issues occur and I'd much rather be on a ship than a plane when they do, but NCL have know of these issues for months so why hasn't it been resolved?
This will be my first, and possibly last cruise with NCL. Never had any issues with the 9 other cruise lines I've travelled with so I guess it was bound to happen eventually.

Jackie - December 28, 2016 7:57 AM

planned to sail on 5th Jan, am disgusted that we have only just been told two days ago of problems that occurred on December 10th! Has anyone managed to get a full refund yet from NCL, that is my only need right now. I booked this trip for Thailand and we are now at sea for half of the trip! Next stop customer services with NCL & my agent Infinity Cruises - not had any reply from my email to them two days ago! Never. Again!

Jackie - December 28, 2016 9:39 AM

If you have booked a cruise with NCL direct the January 5th Sailing to Singapore (now omitting Thailand) is classed as a significant change to the contract and you are therefore entitled to a full refund on monies paid. I'm still waiting to hear from Infinity Cruises however, I have put it in writing so the onus is on them to get their request for a refund into NCL in time! Not a good customer service from either NCL for not informing us, or Infinity Cruises who just don't want to return calls & emails! Never will I book a cruise with NCL again.

Jackie - December 28, 2016 9:41 AM

Sue Begyn - December 28, 2016 11:17 AM

We are booked on the January 16th sailing and are SO angry and disappointed. NCL has known of issues with the Star for some time and obviously did not address them. A mechanical problem rests squarely on NCL's shoulders...they should step up with large compensation packages and full refunds. We are in the same boat as others. We have business class seats on flights as well as prepaid hotels and private tours.
We have cruised many times with NCL, though this may be the last. We chose this itinerary over a year ago because of the ports that were just eliminated. I have contacted our travel agent as well as supervisors on NCL and will continue to encourage them to tell us the truth about what we can expect and make it worth our while to get on the Star.

Frustrated - December 28, 2016 12:14 PM

Scheduled for Jan 5 sailing.
Definitely never using this company again. Spoke with a customer service supervisor. He was extremely rude. Told them this will be our last cruise with Norwegian. He basically told me "too bad, so sad". They just don't care. People, DON'T book with Norwegian ever!!! They are a bunch of crooks.

Johana Garcia - December 28, 2016 4:46 PM

This cruise ruined my honeymoon!

We've been planning this trip for almost a year, my husband and I love to travel so with great enthusiasm we did our homework and started to look for something that really interested both. I have been on 6 cruises (with different lines) and it has always been fun so I convinced my husband to take one this time ... The idea was to be comfortable, without worrying about flights to lose, bags, tours, and what's best of all pre-pay everything, because it is our HONEYMOON, and this only happens one time! In fact, we both carried 2 large baggage's and a carry on each for the convenience of leaving everything in the stateroom.

We found the Norwegian Star Cruise, new line for me, but we loved the route! Passed by: Singapore, Thailandia (2 ports), Vietnam (2 ports), China and Hong Kong in 13 days. And we had always dreamed on visiting Thailand and some exotic new destinations, so it was perfect!

We were very excited about our trip! We bought the tickets from Miami to Singapore, which were very expensive but the occasion was worth it, and we paid a company to manage all the Visas for the different destinations (since everyone needs a visa) this cost us $ 1,800.

Everything was set! We arrived two days earlier to Singapore to tour around and then start our Cruise.

The day has come! And Norwegian called everyone for registration from 12:00 m to 6:00pm. We arrived at 3:00 pm and it took us 4 - 5 hours just to check in and board the boat. Already here everything started badly, I NEVER took so long to go on a cruise ... but, well, this was not going to ruin our moment.

The ship had to leave that same night according to the scheduled itinerary. But it was 11pm and did not move, when suddenly the Captain announces a flaw in the propeller and we will delay the departure... We spent all the next day without knowing anything, we tried to enjoy the boat but we started to worry about the Itinerary and wanted to know what was going to happen as we were still parked.

At the end of DAY 2, the Captain said that unfortunately was a big problem and could not navigate this way, so they had to wait for the team of specialists, that they hoped to solve it at the end of the night and because of the inconvenience "we would get back what was paid for the cruise".

At this moment we think: "We are already here, lets hope that it leaves later and let's just think that we waist 2 nights but we'll enjoy the rest for free". But the problem was that we did not go out that night, either at dawn or the next day.... Also, they announced the new itinerary with 3 ports less (all Thailand) and the new agenda started with 3 days on sea. Here we only think: "A total of 6 days in this boat. And it is not even guaranteed that they are really fixing it!" We no longer knew whom to believe and the days passed us parked on a boat that we met full on the 1st day.

We flew 24 hours to be anchored on a boat for 3 days and now 3 days more and less destinations to know? NO WAY! There was no money here to compensate for the desillusion and lost time ... If we had wanted to stay locked in a boat we would have done it from our port, come on WE COME FROM MIAMI! one of the biggest sea ports in the world.

Many passengers were ok with their money back, most of them older people who were very upset but had no other option, but this trip for us had to be UNIQUE and until now only had caused us stress and worries, after months of planning to the garbage.

In the middle of DAY 3 we decided to do something, we had to buy internet from the boat (super expensive) because we were uncommunicated, to do a online reaserch and see what we could do. Everything we had avoided with this cruise we had to do and in a matter of minutes ... buy tickets, book hotels, buy tours and all this with 6 bags on hand that (witch btw we had to pay for in each flight ticket).

We did this without knowing where we were going in minutes and left the cabin very disappointed and determined to seek our money and get off the boat. When we approached the front desk to announce our departure and check out we noticed that they did not like the news very much (off course because all they want is to people to spend money in the boat), but they also started to work numbers to make the return of what corresponded. For our surprise... We are given an invoice with a payment amount of $ 2,800 (we did not understand where that number came from) since our original invoice was $ 4,400 + a credit of $ 200 and we just consumed in the Spa inside the boat $ 600 for a total of $ 4,000 to be returned. When I explained to the person who answered that his number did not match what we were touching, she answered: "there is only a difference of $ 700" and I just surprised myself more and at the same time it bothered me more, besides that they ruin my Honeymoon their are not even serious to pay what they offered, which is nothing more than what was paid. When they are the ones who should pay compensation for the lost days, but we were only asking for our money.

We tried to explain to them that they were not including the charges that we prepaid for drinks and meals and travel insurance, all of this bought through their website directly (it was not any agency fee). But they told us that they could only recognize that, meanwhile, we called that travel insurance that we bought to be explained how to proceed and their answer was: "They must pay for everything, it is not necessary to use the insurance. Make sure the pay everything before you get off the boat". Following their indications, we asked to speak with a supervisor, one came who only told us that they could not give them on the boat, that we could contact the customer service after the cruise finished (10 days later) to ask for a refund for that difference. This did not reassure us, but we were more worried about the lack of seriousness of this company, no one stand on our shoes or cared about our wasted days or how expensive we would get everything because of THEIR FAULT.

They called another supervisor, who more coldly told us that "They will NOT pay more, it is that or nothing" thinking of putting an end to this matter. This only made us more angry, to the point that tears of helplessness came out of our eyes as I screamed ALL THE LOST TIME WE HAD THROWN IN THE TRASH!!! 3 DAYS WASTED!!! YOU RUINED MY HONEYMOON!!!, this one did nothing but call the boat police. Very brave, right? I think these situations should be left in hands of superiors and not someone who does not have capacity to handle them, he just made our patience come to an end...

In the end, even the police understood our point, and the person who had attended us at the beginning was the only one who stayed with us with better attitude, because the two supervisors turned their backs cowardly. I did not want any money here ... I just thought that there was no need to ruin our trip in this way, it just wasn't fair!

We left nonconformists with the last number that THEY gave us $3,700 but we just wanted to leave as soon as possible of that nightmare...

I'm telling you, the worst travel experience of my life! Too bad it was in our honeymoon ... :(

Royal Caribbean or MSC are the best by faaaaaaaaaaaaar!

Christopher Gough - December 28, 2016 5:10 PM

You So annoyed ,I have been in touch with Iglu cruises who promised me a call today to advise of status of ncl compensation offers.,After no sign of call phoned twice to be advised that I would receive an e mail before 8pm tonight.Needless to say that didn't happen either
But I did receive an Email from iglu asking if I was looking forward to the forthcoming cruise
A bit of a pisstake.Now I have just replied to iglu again saying that ,as my contract is with them,that I will give them untill 1 pm tomorrow to contact me with a resolution ,after that I would consider our contract null and void and would demand full compensation of cruise and flights along with substantial compensation for inconvenience etc.whether this will get any results is yet to be seen but I fully intend to follow this up as far as legal action if necessary
Any comments on this I would be interested to hear

Nancy - December 28, 2016 7:06 PM

NCL Cruise January 16, 2017
Have read the prior e-mails of anger and frustration.
Imagine if you had only been offered $200. Onboard
Credit per Cabin for the same situation you encountered.
That is the predicament of the January 16, 21 day
cruisers from Hong Kong. Rumor Only, upon disembarkation a 50% discount on a future cruise may be offered. As we are first time cruisers on NCL, given the treatment that has been afforded, we will never be back.

Pam - December 28, 2016 8:52 PM

We are booked on the Jan 16 Hong Kong to Auckland cruise. We were never advised of the itinerary change, yet we did receive request for final payment of over $12,000 USD, many emails soliciting their shore excursions and spa treatments, and emails touting future itineraries. Soooo, NCL has our email address for some communications, but not the most essential? Ridiculous.

We too were most intrigued by the Asian ports, and lost two of them! This significantly impacts our experience, and I understand we may expect a laughable $200 credit per cabin. This is unacceptable given the length of time the ship has been experiencing major problems. I find NCL's marketing disingenuous at the least, bordering on fraudulent.

Also, when booking this cruise, we were dismayed to find no suite, balcony, or ocean view cabins available and had to settle for obstructed ocean view. We later discovered that many of our fellow passengers had booked at 50% off due to prior NCL itinerary cancellations. Frankly, it's a wonder they are in business.

This definitely sours my opinion of both NCL and Princess, as they are owned by the same holding company. If this itinerary had not been so unique, we might have stayed with Cunard, Celebrity or Holland America - and am inclined to go back to Cunard.

David - December 29, 2016 5:55 AM

Another updated schedule for 5th Jan from Singapore this morning. After booking transfers/hotel in HCMC they have moved the dates again. That’s if we even leave Singapore....I have no faith.

Sheri - December 29, 2016 10:32 AM

Please call either the normal customer service line and ask for a supervisor or call 800-456-7298 (corporate office) so that the calls get logged into their system which will help to get NCL to increase their discount offer. Everyone please call ASAP! The January 5th cruise schedule has changed again as well.

Sue - December 29, 2016 12:04 PM

Booked honeymoon trip on Star for 16 Jan - only received email today so currently exploring options. NCL customer services were quite appalling in terms of information. Infinity Cruises, on the other hand, are being very helpful. €200 per stateroom is an insult though - currently challenging it.

Raphael - December 29, 2016 12:06 PM

I'm booked for the January 15th cruise, and the treatment NCL has been giving to its passengers is terrible. I sent an e-mail to Brazil's NCL office (I'm from Brazil) complaining about the irrisory $200 USD compensation, and, after a week waiting (even though NCL's website says it takes up to 3 business days), I received this bizarre response from the Guest Relations office of Miami:

"We understand that customers are not satisfied with the offer, but thousands of customers were affected, this is the offer and nothing additional shall be offered.

All compensations were analyzed with care by NCL's executive team and all the customers received the same offer based on the itinerary change.

Thank you."

Thank you for what? Firstly, they call it "offer", and then they recognize it is a compensation. If it's a compensation, it should be proportional to the loss the passengers suffered - $200, of course, isn't enough for missing two main ports.

Totally disappointed. We can't cancel our flights, our hotels and rearrange our work vacations anymore. Furthermore, "Guest Relations" doesn't even know how to deal with dissatisfied guests, as the answer was sort of "we don't care, that's it, deal with it".

If it remains like this, we'll seek the necessary means to obtain the fair compensation we're entitled to.

sharon revel - December 29, 2016 2:41 PM

We were booked on the 5th january cruise and not informed until boxing day that there was a problem and then could not get any reply from our cruise agent Infinity cruises until yesterday as office closed!! NCL said they could not cancel our booking as it was booked through an agent but as I quoted their own terms and conditions saying that if its a change of itinernary that involves 2 ports or more you are entitled to a refund so they said they would refund us but we had to go through our agent. We are now being told that although we purchased this cruise as a package with one price and one invoice we may not get our flight money back or the cost of our hotel booked in singapore and Hong Kong as this is not affected by the problem with the ship !! are they joking we wouldnt be flying to singapore if we werent supposed to be going on this cruise. This is an utter shambles and we will be taking legal action if we do not get ALL our money back we will never use Infinity cruises or NCL again

Della R - December 29, 2016 8:22 PM

Singapore to Hong Kong cruise (5th Jan). The itinerary has changed YET AGAIN, but it hasn't been updated on 'My NCL' what a joke! Thankfully, Nha Trang is back in again. Let's hope it doesn't change again before we arrive at the terminal!!

Regina Fabian - December 30, 2016 2:10 AM

Sharon, we are in the same situation as you . I canceled our 16tfh January cruise because of the change of the two Asian ports the day we got the information from our travel agent which was two days later then the information from NCL .We have a package too with Hotels in Hong Kong and Sydney and of course the flights from Europe .... I asked for full recompensation and if this doesn't work I told them I will even fight for further compensation - and doing this with legal help . I know that customers rights are different depending on the countries but I always thought that US consumer rights are the best in the world ..... still waiting for reply on my letter from December 22nd! If there is no answer until January 3rd
I will refer to legal assistance .

Denise Bannell - December 30, 2016 2:19 PM

so where are the details of the new itineray

Christopher Gough - December 30, 2016 2:45 PM

A bit of good news if what is promised actually appears.Yesterday spoke to member of the Iglu cruise agency and was assured by the person dedicated to resolving the NCL problem for its customers .He was sympathetic with our plight and promised me a full refund of total
price including business class flights and suite on board along with hotel and transfer costs..
He said that NCL were standing fast on their offer of 20% discount which I consider a very poor joke.Not. Received refund yet but feel confident that Iglus man Michael will keep to his word.I will therefore be rebooking a cruise with them in next week or so .

Carole - December 30, 2016 5:32 PM

We took a 7 day cruise June 2016, to Alaska on the Pearl. Everything was perfect and we eagerly booked the January 16 cruise because of the itinerary. We had intentions of also booking a July 2017 7 day Hawaii cruise. We too, are extremely angry and disappointed to miss Saigon & Bangkok. Wonder why Jan 5 cruise still goes to Saigon but we can't. BTW, Sue Begyn, Jan 16 ends in Sydney, not Auckland. For those of us on Jan 16, all we can do is catch the ear of fellow passengers and put pressure on the Captain and any Officer we can corner to at least give us adequate compensation. $200 per cabin in a gross insult.
We don't do Social Media but hope others will try to get more passengers involved. Wondering how everything else on board is during the current cruise.

Sue Gower - December 30, 2016 6:32 PM

Christopher, are NCL offering 20% discount for those continuing with 16th Jan cruise? So far our travel agent (Infinity) has not managed to get any financial deal out of them.

Della R - December 31, 2016 12:45 AM

Denise - I accidentally came across a forum on Cruise Critic who were booking an external Nha Trang excursion. So I immediately rang NCL's Sydney office and they confirmed the changed itinerary. However, I have just looked on 'My NCL' and it STILL hasn't been changed. My hubby has just said, they're probably keeping their options open!

Sue Gower - December 31, 2016 8:13 AM

Itinerary changed on my NCL for 16 Jan cruise - Laem Chabang and Ho Chi Min City gone - presumably because the ship can't travel as fast as usual with the azipod problems.

Christopher Gough - December 31, 2016 11:19 AM

Hi Sue ,all I can repeat is what the Iglu rep told me, that NCL were standing by the 20% offer for all passengers continuing their booking. It did not suit me as we had made arrangements which had to be cancelled. I would have thought that the 20% would have been across the board. We have been looking at a cruise doing same original itinerary as 5 Jan on Star with Holland America with addition of couple of extra calls in Vietnam. Cost was very similar with couple extra days. Not sure how good the MS Volendam is though need to check it out. As for the Star missing various ports out it must be because it is only doing max 13 knots approx half its max speed so would take twice as long to reach destinations. The Stop at Laem Chabang was accessible on the cruise now In progress as is docked there now so must have been the same for following cruises except for the time restraints

Sue Gower - December 31, 2016 2:38 PM

Thanks Christopher - seems they are offering different compensation for different trips - ours is 16th Jan and it seems they would prefer to risk us claiming a full refund rather than offer a partial refund to continue. Not a great start to a long planned holiday for any of us - hope you get sorted.

charlie - January 2, 2017 12:16 AM

Booked on the cruise from Hong Kong 16/01/2017. Cannot believe they can change the itinerary so close to our departure and just happens to be after my final payment. The stop in Ho Chi Min city was one of the reasons I booked the cruise . The compensation of $200 per cabin is pathetic. I am currently trying to cancel but regardless it will make me think twice about cruising again. I thought there would have been more safeguards in place for passengers when a ship has mechanical problems and particularly when they been going on for a long time .

DAVID EVANS - January 2, 2017 5:16 AM

FOUR OF US ARE BOOKED ON THE NORWEGIAN STAR 16/01/2017 21DAYS
WE THINK THE COMPENSATION IS AN INSULT TO ALL PASSENGERS IF THERE IS ANY CHANGE FOR ANYONE PLEASE LET ME KNOW

Alun Hopkins - January 2, 2017 7:11 AM

Booked the Jan 16th trip months ago as a package with IGLU, including business class seats and hotels. At the time of writing, I have still not been even informed by IGLU or NCL about the itinerary changes, and my several requests for information from IGLU starting initially on 24th December have yielded nothing. My subsequent cancellation request has not even been acknowledged. Disgraceful.

Carole - January 2, 2017 3:02 PM

FYI, a few of you have mentioned Holland America. Years ago it was flawless but in more recent years the quality of the food seriously declined. During a January 2015 Caribbean cruise, the food was terrible and entertainment almost non-existent. Again, June 2016 on Pearl to Alaska was wonderful in all ways so I'm hoping that other than feeling ripped off on the January 16 cruise, it will otherwise be as good as our recent experience on the Pearl. We'd rather have our 2 ports back than financial compensation. The $200 offer just makes us angrier! Those of us still going really need to confront the Captain and Officers.

Carol Pawlik - January 2, 2017 3:31 PM

Just found NCL email in my junk folder which was forwarded to me by Infinity Cruises.co.uk. Nothing direct from NCL. I am booked on the 16th Jan cruise, again like so many others The two missing ports of Ho Chi Min city & leem Chabang, were two of main places my husband and i wanted to see. $200 dollars what an insult. Our flights from London,Hong Kong & Sydney Hotels are already booked. We have been looking forward to this for nearly a year booked for my husbands 60th birthday. We missed a port last January 10th cruise with NCL out of Barcelona on the Epic, I know these things happen. But from what I have just read it seems that the problem with the Azi Pods have been ongoing for some time. I will be contacting Infinity & NCL tomorrow expecting to be fobbed off with lame excuses, with take it or leave it attitude.

Regina Fabian - January 3, 2017 3:17 AM

Good news from Germany - as I told before I have canceled our 16th January cruise from Hong Kong to Singapore the day I got the information of the changed itinerary. After doing an intensive research on customers rights concerning cruises I wrote a letter to the travel agency where we booked the whole package - flights ,hotels and cruise . Today I got an email confirming that I will get a total refund without any fees . This is to all of you : make your decision and keep on fighting . Good luck to all of you and to those who will travel a nice cruise !

Phil Wigglesworth - January 3, 2017 11:03 AM

We were on the December 11th cruise from Singapore when the engine failed, but had been on the Norwegian Star since October and the ship had performed flawlessly up until that point and whatever previous problems had occurred, NCL and the Captain believed them fully cured.
NCL Miami communication is extremely poor, but on the ship the Captain continued to update us with whatever information he had. It appears that despite previous repairs there remain problems with the 15 year old Azipods (engines). This was unexpected. The Captain had believed at the point he signaled to leave there was no problem.
Also be aware that there will be a new Captain onboard after the ship returns to Singapore.
As to those demanding compensation, please do not harass the Captain or Officers, they only operate the ship and have no power to issue refunds, compensation, or discounts: all of that must be authorized by Miami, so just harass the head office.

Additionally, I suggest you read the contract you have with NCL as it is very clear that legally we have no rights to *any* compensation (as with most, if not all, cruise lines). You can find it under "Guest Ticket Contract" at the bottom right of the front page of NCL.COM. To quote one relevant section (there are more):

6. Vessel and Voyage:
(c) Itinerary Deviation: The Guest agrees that the Carrier has the sole discretion and liberty to direct the movements of the vessel, including the rights to: ... deviate from the purchased voyage ... cancel any scheduled call at any port for any reason and at any time before, during or after sailing of the vessel; omit, advance or delay landing at any scheduled or advertised port; ... substitute ... port(s) of call without prior notice and without incurring any liability to the Guest on account thereof for any loss, damage or delay whatsoever, whether consequential or otherwise.

Sue Gower - January 3, 2017 1:15 PM

Completely agree that it is not acceptable to harangue the staff - once on Board you've technically accepted the situation. However NCL's terms and conditions are clear that cancellation of 2 or more portal constitutes a significant event for which they offer 3 remedies:

"Most changes are minor. Occasionally, we have to make a "significant change". "Significant changes" usually include the following changes when made before departure; a change of time of embarkation or disembarkation by more 12 hours, a change of departure point to one which is significantly more inconvenient for you or a significant change of itinerary missing out two or more ports altogether or, for flight inclusive cruises, a change of outward departure time from the UK of 12 or more hours or a change of UK departure airport for your international flight (except as between Gatwick, Heathrow, Luton and Stansted or between Edinburgh and Glasgow).

If we have to make a significant change or cancel, we will tell you as soon as reasonably possible. If there is time to do so before departure, we will offer you the choice of the following options:
(a) (for significant changes) accepting the changed arrangements or
(b) purchasing an alternative holiday from us, of a similar standard to that originally booked if available (if the chosen alternative is less expensive than your original one, we will refund the difference but if it is more expensive, we will ask you to pay the difference) or
(c) ) cancelling or accepting the cancellation in which case you will receive a full and quick refund of all monies you have paid to us.

The third option clearly then involves NCL being liable for all associated charges in respect of the flights/hotels and my understanding is that a separate claim has to be put to NCL.

These options should have been clear to all involved whether by Travel agents or NCL - would have eh,led everyone consider their options,

Jean Bradburn - January 3, 2017 2:58 PM

Sue I agree with what you are saying but we all need to contact NCL Miami before we board as you say once aboard we have accepted their offer.
The problem with the ship has been going on for years, so we have bought a cruise on board a ship that is not Fit for purpose like buying a car that is not road worthy.

Christopher Gough - January 3, 2017 3:28 PM

Today have made contact with the Iglu Representative who Has the unenviable job of sorting out the unhappy people who booked through them on the NCL Star .After being unhappy with the itinerary changes/ cancellations ,I had cancelled my 2 nd Jan booking and was looking to book with another company/ ship .He has reiterated his intention to make me a 100% refund and sent me a confirmation e mail to that effect.Saying that he explained that it could take up to a month to organise this refund which included business class flights and a suite on board.
Having his written confirmation from him of the refund I will be booking an alternative cruise with Iglu I the next few days but,saying that,the number of similar alternative cruises at short notice ,are few and far between ,but I will keep on looking.I am still wondering how NCL intend to keep the Star going through its future booked cruises without calling in to dry dock to have the necessary repairs done.I have no problem with NCL or the Star if it is repaired and does what it says on the itinerary.I sailed on the Epic a few years ago and was completely satisfied with the cruise.Surely a giant company like them will not want to lose their good reputation for ,what is to them ,a few dollars more..I hope that those of you ,who have chosen to carry on with their booking,have a great time,

Sue Gower - January 3, 2017 4:55 PM

We have been on the Epic and Jade twice and thoroughly enjoyed the cruises - interesting to find tonight that the Epic was built without Azipods as NCL are concerned about their reliability!! We are on the brink of cancelling - Infinity's best offer was an upgrade to a mini-suite in addition to the $200 but no changes to booking as yet and actually not a big deal. Advice from a marine consultant is that calculations have clearly been carried out to maintain the 16 Jan cruise which has resulted in the loss of two ports. That said I share your concerns as to how long the ship can realistically continue without the necessary dry dock repairs. So disappointing to face this before what was intended to be the highlight of the year - and now BA are striking on 10/11 Jan!!

Alun Hopkins - January 12, 2017 10:26 AM

I have finally had confirmation from IGLU that I will be receiving a full refund with no cancellation fees for my January 16th cruise, including all flights, hotels etc. It's just as well, as we were due to fly to Hong Kong tomorrow! They haven't said when I will get the money, but at least I have the promised refund in writing, which is a relief! Like many of you in this blog, we shall not be booking any future cruises with NCL.

Christopher Gough - January 12, 2017 7:24 PM

As previously reported, I had booked the cruise, supposedly departing on 5 Jan, with Iglu and cancelled as soon as I was informed of problem.with Ship/ Itinerary. Iglu have been brilliant throughout all this and I had the complete cruise price moved over onto another cruise I chose. I had great service through them, especially Michael, who had the job of sorting out this mess, and Neil who arranged my alternative cruise for me. I would recommend anyone booking a cruise to enlist the help of Iglu. I will never book direct with a cruise line, especially Ncl, who were not very helpfull, again.

Bev Madden - January 13, 2017 4:13 AM

We are meant to cruise New Zealand to Singapore on Feb 14th and we are worried as we can't seem to get much info on what's currently happening with the ship.

NCL are not telling us any info & neither are Infinity Cruises.
Any info would be appreciated.

Michelle - January 14, 2017 1:19 AM

we are booked for the March 9 Norwegian Star sailing from Singapore to Dubai. Do you think we can just request a refund to our travel agent, as obviously the risk is still going to be there that the ship won't be fixed by then (as NCL seems to like to hide those facts from customers up to the last minute)

Ross - January 14, 2017 10:46 PM

Boarding ship in Sydney on 6th Feb has the problem been fixed

Mike - January 15, 2017 1:58 AM

On the Norwegian star right now. Slight delay on leaving Singapore on the 5th, otherwise all going as planned, if not cruising ridiculously slowly.

Main issue I have is extremely poor service and complete lack of communication. Since boarding there has been no mention of the revised itinerary reasons, no apologies, no concessions, no confirmation of the latest itinerary, and no reassurance the ship is safe on one engine The confusion over the itinerary meant some people missed the departure on the 5th, as they were still working on an interim itinerary.

I accept technical issues can occur, even ongoing ones that they thought they had fixes, but I m really disappointed that they are completely ignoring the issues. This is diabolical service and for that reason alone I doubt I will UAE ncl again

Regina Fabian - January 17, 2017 10:02 AM

FYI -As I told before we canceled the 16th January cruise from Hong Kong to Sydney . In the meantime I got all the money back - flights ,hotels and cruise . Original itinerary was too interesting - we have a problem to find a similar one - not sure if I will be happy with Holland American ....

Sue Gower - January 18, 2017 5:38 PM

Regina, having also cancelled 16th cruise, we are looking at an alternative on the Jewel dep Feb 13 next year. Fly to Dubai for 2 night hotel stay then Sydney for 3 nights then cruise round Australia - same ports as Star but with additional stops at Newcastle and Semerand - - ending with 2 nights at Singapore. Looks good but won't be booking until we are fully refunded!!

Denise Bannell - January 20, 2017 1:50 PM

Arrived on boat Jan 5 itinary stating 2 days in Singapore.
Well we left that day depart at 6pm which turned into 8:45 pm.
Days were cut short at Siagon and days of sailing were added Vietnam in different areas miles from anywhere. Food started well but went down rapidly. Lots of bored people.
Taken ill on board not given òption for taken cough mixture and pills given intravenous drugs,hit with a bill approx $4890.00 that made me faint and my cards were locked with half the amount and 10 days to pay. Will never cruise again. 20 % refund not enough for this cruise. Bored death nothing like the holiday I had booked..ñ

Tom Latus - January 26, 2017 6:28 AM

I am scheduled to join the Star on 18th February in Auckland.
Received an email from a friend who is currently on the ship (26 Jan) and she tells me that the Azipods have stopped working again and that they already have a revised itinerary - missing Komodo, Airlie Beach and Brisbane.

Carole mason - January 28, 2017 3:10 AM

Has anyone actually received the 20% refund for the 5th January cruise yet.

Charlie - January 29, 2017 12:39 AM

On Norwegian Star now and not a happy ship. Vice president of Pacific region arrived on board to try to calm things down . A near riot here yesterday after 3 more ports cancelled. So many travel plan ruined.
Also tendering has been very slow also found out recently we do not go to Cairns but Yorkeys Nobb 30 km north.
This company has a major problem on it's hand.

Michele culkin - January 29, 2017 10:49 AM

We sailed on board th NCL Star on 5th Jan 2017 and had all the problems with the adipods too.
I agree the food started of great but went down hill when we sent back some lamb kofta starter as they weren't cooked though properly. Then order two pasta dishes both were over dosed with salt as the chef clearly had a problems with us sending the starter back. We got up and walked out of Aqua resturant and the matra de came and sorted things out. This just added insult to the already going bad cruise regarding the engine problem.

No we still haven't received the 20% refund offered before the cruise yet will be doing an email tonight to let them know how disguised we were with how the cruise was handled as I can see they are still having problems now with the other engine.

Claire - January 30, 2017 2:23 PM

We were on the Star on the 5th January sailing;whilst my sympathy is very much with he staff and crew onboard the ship whom are having to handle the brunt of many disgruntled passengers...the same sympathy cannot be extended to Guest Relations at UK NCL.
Any company can be regarded as a "fantastic" company whilst things are going great...however the true test of a company is when problems occur.
We were disgusted with the lack of information/communication provided by NCL UK when it became apparent there were significant problems with the Azipod.
Phone calls/emails sent to the company were ignored and no responses received...we were provided an incorrect change of itinerary and found out any changes to our itinerary via the "Cruise Critic" forum and NOT NCL!
Upon telephoning UK NCL the staff weren't even aware of any amendments to our schedule!
To be fair and loyal to all passengers they should all be offered the same level of compensation..there is an amzing disparity of what recompense has been offered on each sailing affected.

Nicole - January 30, 2017 5:02 PM

We are seeking reimbursement on the 2/6 sailing and they are only offering NCL credit.

Sue Gower posted these Terms and Condition on 1/3/17. The website has a new one as of 12/2016. Does anyone have a copy of the previous version. I called NCL and they told me that they don't have the previous version and stated no comment to many of my questions.

(a) (for significant changes) accepting the changed arrangements or

Carole from Phoenix - January 30, 2017 11:54 PM

Continued...because of illness, we left ship on day 2 in Singapore. We were in a Penthouse Suite which was way long overdue for an update. It was roomy but unattractive and shabby! We can't, however, say enough about our wonderful Butler, Jonathan and equally wonderful Concierge Hanno and Jay, our cabin steward who appeared to be working hard all day, morning - late at night. Correction on earlier entry: In Med Center, Dr's name was Luis Santana.Again, we praise the entire crew. It's the Captain, his supporting Officers and Corporate that need to be held accountable for the misery and financial waste the last several cruises have inflicted upon their passengers!!!! I just received an email from people we met before we left on 1/23, stating that near riots took place over 2 days after the Captain announced the drastic changes/omissions of 3 or was it 4 more ports that would follow Bali. This added to an already boring too many days at sea itinerary. Over 200 passengers left the ship in Darwin and had to book hotels and new flight connections to get back home. Their expenses and anguish are enormous. We had no idea how lucky we were to abandon ship after just one week of misery. We left 2 weeks unused and hope to recoup a portion from the expensive trip insurance we bought but that is to be seen. Meantime, NCL has our vacant Penthouse and a huge amount of our cash. We encourage all passengers from our January 16, 2017 cruise and back to take this all the way and demand full compensation. We cannot chalk this up to "The Cruise from Hell;" NCL should have taken the Star out of service and replace, not repair the old Axipods before sending another Star cruise out on a trip to nowhere. I think we need to contact major TV stations and other media.

Ruth - January 31, 2017 10:52 AM

We should file class action against NCL.

Pat - January 31, 2017 7:22 PM

I am on the Feb 6 sailing Austalia/New Zealand. They just told us they are dropping tasmania and the wine country stops from the itinerary. Offering $500 credit and 20% of next cruise. So bad as we only booded on 1/7 and they knew they had problems but took our $$ anyway.

Sue Gower - February 1, 2017 5:32 PM

Update re NCL Star cruises from 6 Feb posted on Cruise Critic on: http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=7495

Sue - February 2, 2017 5:18 AM

For info, loss of two ports entitles you to cancel the cruise and accept a refund as per NCLs terms and conditions: www.cruise.co.uk/cruise-guides/ncl-terms-and-conditions/
We did on 3 Jan when advised about changes to the cruise on 16 Jan and are so glad we did - anticipating full reimbursement of cruise, fights and hotels within 2 weeks now.

John Canning - February 2, 2017 5:47 AM

I am due to fly from the UK 14 Feb for the 18 Feb 19 day cruise to Singapore. I have sent seven e mails to Iglu cruises, they have ignored every one. I have made five phone calls. On the one occasion I got through, I tried to raise the safety issue. The young lady on the other end simply put the phone down. Since then all my calls have been ignored.
After five attempts to contact NCL, I at least have it in writing they consider the ship safe for passengers and crew.
I do not claim to know any more about Marine Safety than the next man. But:
In thirty years in the Military I flew over ten thousand hours in over twenty different aircraft, and after all, a machine is a machine.
On all the types I flew we had our reliable machines and our "dogs".
The dogs were permanently in the hangar, and no amount of tinkering ever cured the underlying problem. Only a strip down and rebuild did it.
Norwegian Star is the "dog" of the fleet. Don't take my word for it, read the seventeen page plus comments on the web. No other cruise ship comes close.
Bringing teams on to fix the ship while on route is, (in my opinion), tinkering. Will it provide a lasting solution? Who knows.
So is the ship safe? NCL are happy that operating with an unserviceable azipod is not a safety issue. I am sure they are correct.
What concerns me is, in their own words, this port azipod problem is unrelated to the starboard one they had just before Christmas.
Just how many failures are safe on a single voyage. The Tasman Sea is renowned for its hostile waters Ask any Sydney to Hobart racer.
Am I alarmist. No. There probably are no seirious safety implications to this voyage.
It would be nice if somebody senior to a Customer Service clerk would stick their heads above the parapet and say so.
Final comment. NCL Customer Service Poor. Iglu Cruises Abysmal

Regina Fabian - February 3, 2017 6:50 AM

Sue, I am very happy that everything worked out fine for you, too. And thank you for telling again and again about. the right to cancel with a full refund. As you see I am still following the adventures of the "Star"....and probably you too.

Regina Fabian - February 3, 2017 6:51 AM

Bevy - February 3, 2017 5:44 PM

We are also meant to be sailing on the 18th Feb from Aukland & am finding it near on impossible to get any info from NCL & I too am more than worried about the safety of the ship at sea with engine problems. I can't believe it's less than two weeks before we fly to Aukland & still have not been told any info at all on itinerary chsnges or even if we can cancel & get a refund. Very poor Customer Service from NCL

John Canning - February 4, 2017 6:22 AM

The Auckland to Singapore itinerary is out. For me it is not too bad. I came on this trip primarily for Komodo and Bay of Islands. Komodo is still on and BOI I can do by myself from Auckland, albeit for an additional cost of £140. I will ask NCL for assistance with this, but I won't hold my breath.
Is there anyone out there with Marine Safety experience.
It would give me a much warmer feeling if someone independent of NCL could read through all the Star's recent technical problems, and tell us there is nothing to worry about.

stephane gregoire - February 4, 2017 2:59 PM

i will cruise 6feb sydney to auckland
and many destinatiom as beem canceled ncl give us 500$ on board thats ridiculous we dont travel so far to receive 500$ thant insane i want 100% refund

Martin Johnson - February 5, 2017 6:43 AM

John
if you have access to the new itinerary please post it on this site as I can not find the details on the Norwegian website and their customer services department is closed.

John Canning - February 5, 2017 2:21 PM

Martin,
I have seen nothing on the NCL or Iglu websites but an entry in cruise critic says Bay of Islands, Brisbane, and Benoa are cancelled but there is an extra stop at Port Kembla in NSW. Must be for ship work because this is an industrial docks. No dates given though so useless for excursion planning.
I am only planning my own BOI trip because I arrive in Auckland 16 Feb and am making an educated guess that the ship won't sail before the 18th I have asked Iglu and NCL to forward all my rewired paperwork by cease work MOnday or I won't be flying a week later.

Katie - February 5, 2017 2:31 PM

Norwegian Cruise Line has released the revised itinerary for Norwegian Star's Feb. 18 cruise, which embarks in Auckland, New Zealand and ends in Singapore. The sailing will drop planned calls at Bay of Islands, New Zealand; Brisbane, Australia and Benoa, Indonesia. The cruise will still make calls at Sydney, Airlie Beach, Cairns and Darwin, Australia and Komodo, Indonesia, with a stop added at Port Kembla, Australia. All in all, the revised itinerary has one more sea day than the original. Compensation remains $500 per person in onboard credit, plus a 100 percent future cruise credit that can be used within five years.

Katie - February 6, 2017 2:48 AM

Further update from Cruise Critic who have made contact with NCL.
Update, Feb. 6, 2017 (9:55 a.m. AEST) -- Norwegian Cruise Line has confirmed that passengers booked on the 18 February 19-night cruise from Auckland will receive a US$250 onboard credit per person (maximum $500 per cabin), plus a 25 percent future cruise credit of their cruise fare paid, to be used within five years. Those who choose not to sail receive a 100 percent future cruise credit. Passengers booked on the 18 February six-night cruise from Auckland will receive a US$75 onboard credit per person (maximum US$150 per cabin), plus a 25 percent future cruise credit of their cruise fare paid, to be used within five years. For those guests who were scheduled to disembark in Brisbane, Norwegian will arrange flights from Sydney or provide a full refund if you choose not to sail.

Passengers booked on the 24 February 13-night cruise from Auckland will receive US$175 onboard credit per person (maximum US$350 per stateroom, plus a 25 percent future cruise credit of their cruise fare paid, to be used within five years. Norwegian will arrange flights from Brisbane to Sydney for people embarking in Brisbane or provide a full refund if you choose not to sail.

The revised itinerary from 18 February to 9 March sees the cancellation of scheduled stops in Bay of Islands, Brisbane and Benoa (Bali), with Port Kembla (Wollongong) added. The Sydney stop has shifted from Wednesday 22 February to Friday 24 February. This change will mean the following ports will be visited a day later than originally planned: Airlie Beach (new date 27 February), Cairns (28 February), Darwin (3 March) and Komodo Island (5 March). The ship will arrive as scheduled into Port Klang, Malaysia on 8 March and end in Singapore on 9 March. Norwegian Cruise Line has apologised for these unexpected changes and will be reaching out to passengers booked on the next two cruises in the coming days with this revised information. In the event that a guest chooses not to sail on these revised itineraries, they will receive a 100 percent future cruise credit.

John Canning - February 6, 2017 6:08 AM

Cruise critic have made a 6Feb update. It confirms the stops listed above by myself and Katie. Do check though, there are date changes.
One major change. The 3 Feb update mentioned a 500 US pp plus 100pc future cruise allowance.The 6th update mentions 250 and 25pc. Bit of a change there.
Since this is posted on a cruise critic website, I suspect that neither offer is binding.
I we make the journey what guarantee is there of any compensation?
After three days of waiting I have receives a one line reply. from NCL. Basic message is, don't bother us, your contract is with your Travel Agent.
Chris Gough, if you are still monitoring, how did you get on with your full refund from Iglu?

Jackie - February 6, 2017 2:39 PM

We are joining the cruise in Brisbane for the 13 night cruise on the 24th we have had no information to say the ship is not going to Brisbane it's all very confusing every one on the web is saying something different .

Katie - February 7, 2017 11:47 AM

We are also flying from Heathrow on 14th Feb and of course am dissapointed by the change in itinerary especially Port Kembla. So we are disembarking and getting a train to Sydney and staying overnight in a hotel then rejoining the ship when it gets there.All you need to do is give a letter into reception with names and cabin number explaining what you are doing and they will advise security so that no one is searching for you when the boat is ready to leave.We will be claiming on our insurance for the change in itinerary/missed ports. Why so many people now seem to be marine engineers and declared the boat unsafe is beyond me, do they really think it would be allowed to sail? Still the more people that chuck there toys out the pram the easier the bar service and lounges will be for a nice relaxing cruise!

Al - February 7, 2017 7:38 PM

What is the purpose of visiting Port kembla?

Donna - February 8, 2017 3:28 AM

We just got off the Star and I did not feel unsafe at any time, but let me tell you about our experience a couple of years ago...
We were on the Star cruising some of Norway and to Iceland when there was a hurricane coming our way. The ship missed a couple of ports to get us to Iceland and out of the path of the hurricane. We were cruising at the highest speed possible and had 40 foot waves. If we had not been able to cruise at a high speed, we would have most surely been in the middle of the hurricane. Not being able to go maximum speed CAN be dangerous!! We are so thankful these problems did not occur on that cruise. And, by the way, NCL stopped at one of the missed ports on the way back and added another port to make up for the other missed port. Communication and customer service was MUCH better then!! We are platinum plus latitudes members, but will no longer sail with NCL due to this debacle.

Rod - February 8, 2017 5:53 AM

We are flying out from the UK on the 14th Feb. to join the cruise on the 18th in Auckland.
Received confirmation yesterday from travel agent of the updated Itinerary and compensation being offered from NCL.
Now departing Auckland on the 19th Feb. At sea 20th, 21th and 22nd, Port Kembla on 23rd, Sydney on 24th, at sea 25th and 26th, Airlie Beach 27th, Cairns 28th. At sea 1st and 2nd March, Darwin 3rd March at sea 4th March, Komodo 5th March, at sea 6th and 7th March, Port Klang 8th March, Singapore 9th March.
Compensation $500 per Stateroom, plus a 25% future cruise credit of the 19 day cruise fare paid, valid for 5 years from date of this letter.
Hope this helps and please post your comments.

Rod - February 8, 2017 5:59 AM

Hope this helps and please post your comments.

Al - February 8, 2017 8:25 PM

Since the Star ship has been having engine problem for a long time now, NCL should get it fixed and replaced with another ship as soon as possible. Word is getting around so fast of passengers Safety and concerns as well as (poor) Customer Service from NCL. We are flying from the US to join the cruise on the 9th of March in Singapore. I also booked my excursions online and at this time, we have not received confirmation of an updated itinerary from NCL. My friends and I am having second thoughts about cancelling and cruising with NCL again!!

Peter c - February 9, 2017 5:19 PM

Been given same information as Rod from my travel agent today. 500 usd and 25% off future cruise. Cruise departing 19th at 6pm. Check in 18th and overnight on ship.
Hope this helps

Katie - February 10, 2017 7:16 AM

Think this supersedes any other info!!!

Katie - February 10, 2017 12:50 PM
gurmit singh - February 10, 2017 2:17 PM

I heard that NcL star is having problem and is broke down and stuck in Australia for repair I was wondering the cruise we book from Singapore 18 days to Dubai is still confirm and going as schedule,and I hope with better ship

Keith - February 10, 2017 3:03 PM

Booked on Norwegian star 18th Feb Auckland to Singapore
Flying from uk. Latest ship broke down propulsion problems
Currently being towed into Melbourne to be repaired passengers onboard offered
Full refund & 50 per cent off future cruise
On asking told by agent can only get credit for cruise. Not refund but can claim for air fares
If we cancel so what do we do? difficult decision as confidence in ship is not great to
Say the least
Evidently once ship back in Melbourne repairs assessed the revised itinerary will be announced

Charlie - February 10, 2017 3:10 PM

How much longer can these clowns from NCL be allowed to continue sailing. I was aboard the Star for 21 days from Hong Kong of which 15 were at sea. The thinking they should have the opportunity to fix the mechanical problems on the run and ruin people's holiday is just unfair.

Now the ship has stalled altogether off the Victorian coast and need to be tugged in. I would have thought the Australian Maritime Safety Authority would have some power over this.

I have written to both my travel agent and NCL to try and have the cost of my cruise refunded instead of a credit for a future cruise . Heard nothing yet.

The company is a disgrace.

Stuart - February 10, 2017 5:25 PM

Latest for 18th Feb may have to fly from Auckland to Melbourn wtf

Stuart - February 11, 2017 3:56 AM

Latest for 18th Feb may have to fly from Auckland to Melbourn wtf

Mike - February 12, 2017 6:27 AM

My parents, who are in there 80`s are travelling fom Manchester by car to London area on Monday 13th Feb in anticipation of flying out to Auckland on Tuesday 14th to pick up this particular ship on 18th. The itinerary had already been changed but now they have no confidence in the ship etc and don`t want to fly all that way, just to be told the `ships broke`. Are they and can they demand a full refund?

John Canning - February 12, 2017 10:46 AM

Mike,
If they booked a full package through an ABTA travel agent they can demand a full refund from the agents. If they put the flights, cruise, transfers etc independently, it is more complicated.

Sue Gower - February 13, 2017 3:16 PM

Check out Cruiselawnews' Facebook page for full updates and video coverage of the Star.

Paul Mier - February 13, 2017 4:27 PM

Hi to all who have been on the cruise from hell. We are unfortunately booked to leave Aukland on Feb 18th. Like many of you it is too late to cancel, and we are at NCL's mercy. I cannot believe that no one has started a class action suit against this so called company. That being said I would think any law firm would love to take this case as it it would be a win win situation. NCL has been taking money from vacationers knowing full well they are not able to fulfill their promised itinerary. As I can see not one Asian cruise from the end of last year to date has been fulfilled as was described in the brochures. Not only that travel agents have been selling it with without informing passengers of the problems this ship is having. The compensation package they offer is not good enough for ruining people's dream vacation and from what I read only a handful seem to get that package if they are lucky. It is not what you should have to put up with, and not the way any company should get away with. Hope to hear some response before we have to leave here in Canada....for Aukland!

Sue Gower - February 15, 2017 6:35 AM

Margie - February 14, 2017 5:13 PM
To people OS this article is from our from our National news.
It's sailing at close to 20 knots so hopefully all goes well. Looking forward to cruising from Singapore on 9 March.

Charlie - February 16, 2017 4:27 PM

Heard back from NCL yesterday and will only offer a credit on another cruise, no refund. They seem to think they have done the right thing here and have been very fair with there offer as they still provided a full service onboard the ship during the cruises even though the itinerary was changed.
My argument is, I tried to cancel prior to my cruise suspecting problems may occur.
I also complained of the tendering process at several ports which were appalling. No excuse was given on this subject.
I like Paul's idea of a class action but who gets the ball rolling.
They should not be allowed to get away with this.

Fred Hinnegan - February 16, 2017 10:04 PM

To anyone boarding the Norwegian Star on Friday, February 24 in Sydney...IMPORTANT...we're now boarding in Sydney on WEDNESDAY, February 22. Start scrambling, and good luck...

Fred Hinnegan - February 16, 2017 10:14 PM

Sunday, March 5 Benoa, Bali 7:00am 5:00pm
Monday, March 6 At Sea
Tuesday, March 7 At Sea
Wednesday, March 8 Kuala Lumpur (Port Kelang), Malaysia 7:00am 4:00pm
Thursday, March 9 Singapore 7:00am

Charlie - February 18, 2017 2:46 AM

Is it Cairns or Yorkeys Knob. If the latter be very patient and take plenty of water.
It's a joke.

Rodney - February 25, 2017 10:01 PM

Any issues since ship left NZ approx Feb 18th? Still scheduled for Singapore March 9? Ant word on changes to March 9 to March 27 itinerary?