Passenger Goes Overboard From The Carnival Liberty

Carnival LibertyA passenger went overboard early this morning from the Carnival Liberty cruise ship, per multiple sources. Pursuant to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, a 32 year old man from Georgia went overboard from the Liberty around 5:00 a.m. this morning.

According to cruise expert, Dr. Ross Klein, there have been 290 people who have gone overboard from cruise ships since the year 2000.  According to this data, there have been more people overboard from cruise ships operated by Carnival Cruise Lines than any other cruise line during this time period. As the table shows, there have been 60 people who have gone overboard from Carnival Cruise Lines ships.

Please leave a comment below or join the discussion on our Facebook page.

Photo credit: Chargarther - CC BY-SA 3.0, commons / wikimedia.

Comments (7) Read through and enter the discussion with the form at the end
Keith - April 8, 2017 4:41 AM

I would be interested in how these figures work out proportionately and whether the Carnival statistic figure is disproportionate (passengers and crew over board as a percentage of passengers and crew carried)
If the Carnival statistic is disproportionate is disproportionate, then what is it that Carnival or their passengers are dong differently? Are Carnival ships less safe than other similar class ships of different companies because it appears to me that it is not possible to accidentally 'fall' overboard and it is the least of my considerations when choosing a cruise.

Connie Christy - April 8, 2017 8:31 AM

Could these days statistics be related to the fact that Carnival has many more cruise ships than any of the other Cruise Lines?

David - April 8, 2017 12:19 PM

So, Carnival equals the "Fun Ship", More drunks than any other ship I've been on, (38 Cruises). Bar servers make 15% commission. Wheres the line of being overly drunk and that additional 15%. Maybe a Bar supervisor need to make a ruling and export these passengers back to the cabin.
I could be totally wrong here and maybe he did a Peter-Pan, or worse things happen. Just my opinion about booze on Carnival ships.

Jim Walker - April 8, 2017 5:08 PM

Connie: You are confusing Carnival Cruise Line with Carnival Corp. Carnival Cruise Line is a brand of Carnival Corp. Carnival Cruise Line has 25 cruise ships which is the same as Royal Caribbean but Carnival Cruise Line has over 30% more people going overboard than Royal Caribbean. Carnival Corp. is the parent company of Carnival Cruise Line and owns over 100 cruise ships among its manyy brands like Princess, HAL, COSTA P&O, Cunards, etc.

Arlene Delbrey - April 9, 2017 5:35 PM

I hope the family find peace at your heart and straight I so sorry about. Concern about my husband and I, I always Carnival Cruise line never had problem instead this staff is the best THANK GOD
ARLENE DELBREY

Laura - April 12, 2017 3:41 PM

Boooze is available every where you go. I have been on 18 Carnival cruises and I have seen/heard so many drunks that talk about jumping. Its all about the individual. Nobody puts booze in their hands...Cruise safely and control your destiny..I love Carnival

Katherine - April 16, 2017 6:01 AM

I have been on several Carnival cruises and perhaps I am in the wrong place at the wrong time but have never seen anyone I thought was overly intoxicated.