Man Overboard from Carnival Glory

Carnival Glory Overboard PassengerThere is a report of a "man overboard" this afternoon from the Carnival Glory cruise ship.

A reader from Honduras listening to channel 16 heard the report and said that the Honduran Navy and locals were searching for a person overboard at certain coordinates in Honduran waters.

A person also notified me on my Facebook page.

Richard Elston has a friend on board the Glory and tells me that a passenger went overboard from the cruise ship.

This is the third person overboard from a cruise ship in four days. A crew member from Chile went overboard from the Queen Mary 2 over the weekend.  A 23 year old passenger went overboard from the MSC Magnifica this morning.

This is the 19th person going overboard so far this year.

Have a comment? Please leave a comment below or join the discussion on our Facebook page.

AIS Credit: Richard Elston

A college student disappeared from the Carnival Glory last March.

Update:  I received a message from a reader who indicated that her aunt had gone overboard. She was reportedly notified by the Honduran ambassador that her aunt's body was located.

August 24, 2015 Update: Exclusive: Family Appalled By Carnival’s Response To Woman Overboard.

Comments (46) Read through and enter the discussion with the form at the end
c. brown - August 19, 2015 8:21 PM

I can confirm that this information is correct. I pray for family & friends of this individual. May God comfort them during this tragedy.

Suzanne - August 19, 2015 9:27 PM

Amein

Sherri - August 20, 2015 12:45 AM

Can you confirm that this was a woman?

Jim - August 20, 2015 8:45 AM

I have a friend onboard and he said it was a woman.

Chad - August 20, 2015 10:21 AM

The body was in fact a woman. I am on the ship, She was in the water for at least 2 hours before we found her. She is confirmed passed.

will smith - August 20, 2015 10:35 AM

Apparently Glory is now on her way to or has reached Cozumel - message announcing the re-routing was broadcast on-board to passengers yesterday evening.........

Jen - August 20, 2015 11:18 AM

Yes, I can confirm it was a woman. I'm on the ship and watched the rescue boat pull her out of the water. Very sad.

Marla - August 20, 2015 12:21 PM

RIP poor lady, so sad. We have to remember that although cruising is fun and exciting we must be diligent about safety. My husband and I went on a number of cruises before deciding to take our children. This is the primary reason. We are going again in November and they will all receive the lecture. Our children were very good the last time. Lots of fun, but serious business. Prayers to the family of this poor woman.

abbie - August 20, 2015 1:16 PM

does anybody know if it was intentional or not?

Kawana C. Davis - August 20, 2015 2:26 PM

Thank you for the information. My entire family is on the cruise. This is very unfortunate.

Praying for the family who lost a loved one.

Gert shirt - August 20, 2015 2:34 PM

We were on ship at time of overboard , the response from the the ship was not good enough around an hour before they put a rescue boat in the water , we tried several times to get I touch with front desk having to scream down the phone for them to get the ship to stop as we threw life jackets into the sea after seeing the body three times!! We will never travel with carnival again after this !!!!!

abbie - August 20, 2015 2:49 PM

can anyone confirm if it was intentional?

Nikki - August 20, 2015 3:41 PM

I found out that yesterday one crew member from QM2 cuted veins..
Somebody have to help and support all crew members... Salaries are very low, work conditions are terrible, long working hours (at least 10-11 hours per day), no days off at all, and 6-9 months long contracts... companies use poor economic situation in the countries of most of the crew members... People there working 77 hours per week for $1000 and less....
To survive contract, people find comfort in alcohol and some of them psychologically and physical can't handle anymore...
SOMETHING MUST CHANGE NOW!!!!!!!

Marie Lawson - August 20, 2015 8:14 PM

I don`t know the circumstances, but as a boating person, I have seen people do some dangerous things on ships, they get to drinking the minute they arrive, out in the hot sun...don`t eat, and party like crazy...people be careful out there....I have seen people sit on rails and even put kids on rails...common sense please....stay safe and enjpoy

James holman - August 20, 2015 9:55 PM

I am a family member and we have only received one phone call in regards to this. Where can I get more information or update.

marina - August 22, 2015 2:11 AM

This is her granddaughter, due to this sudden tragic incident my family has set up a gofundme account and could use any support. every dollar helps and we really just want my grandmas wishes to come true which was to be buried with her beloved husband. please take the time to visit this link. Thank you and God bless.

Marina - August 22, 2015 2:15 AM

They only give out information to immediate family. If you want any information, you can get my dads number from your mom or dad.

Mark - August 22, 2015 4:07 PM

I was in the ship. The lady commited suicide. I have video of her floating in the water.

Tula - August 22, 2015 5:42 PM

Sadly i was on the ship when this happened. From what I know it was intentional. Her husband is still alive so please do not offer money to Marina (above) asking for donations. RIP

Misslady - August 22, 2015 6:13 PM

I don't think that go fund me page is for the same lady who went overboard on the Glory this past week. Her husband was with her at the time....as well as other family members....... I was on the ship as well

James - August 22, 2015 6:35 PM

We were on the ship. It was so sad. Response time was awful. It took over 2 hours to retrieve the body after it was spotted by passengers. There was no emergency response team, no coast guard! It was our first and last time on Carnival. They gave each passenger a $50 credit and 25% off of their next cruise. NO THANK YOU.

Shelby - August 22, 2015 8:34 PM

I was also on the same cruise. I do have to agree the response time and the fact there was no response team, coast guard or navy in the water looking along with us on the boat. I'm very disappointed how Carnival handled it. The entire process took far too long. And the $50 credit we got was a joke we all missed an entire port and on top of it a life is gone $50 is nothing for what the family on board and the passenger witnessing this had to go through... Secondly, again I was also on the boat, I saw the poor lady when we spotted her and whatever the cercumstances let's remember this is a human beinging while on the boat after this happened I heard multiple stories people gossip people thrive off of drama none of us know the actually facts why don't you look up the family on Facebook like I did marina is real and her family is real we might have heard she was on the cruise with her husband but we don't know this poor lady's life story and to be honest it's not our business. What is our business is that this happened and now there are real people suffering and hurting and idk about you but my heart hurts for them it's unfortunate that it happened on our cruise but let's come together and support the family and not talk down about the situation or add our two sense that are not based of off facts (considering nothing has even been officially released) about the situation) let's be adults and handle this situation with care if you don't want to donate then don't but don't state things you don't know the truth about

Marina - August 22, 2015 8:59 PM

As a matter of fact carol my grandma lost her husband Ed Dimas 4 years ago. please stop bashing my family. nobody knows anything. She was very delusional and thought my grandpa (tata) was on the ship. she has been very depressed and that is why this whole incident happened. Please be respectful and if you don't believe the story that is your fault.

Marina - August 22, 2015 9:07 PM

I know for a fact my grandma was indeed telling people her husband was on the ship, but she wasn't in the right frame of mind and he really wasn't. we are working with the investigators and so once again please don't spread rumors because you don't know half of it.

Jenia - August 22, 2015 9:43 PM

First let me say thank to all those who send their condolences to my family. What has happened to my aunt was such a tragedy. Second let me express how hurtful it has been for myself and my family reading the comments that some of you posted who stated that you were on the same cruise ship. Myself and my family are deeply hurt from what has been speculated. Saying that she was on a cruise with her husband which by the way is false due to the fact that her husband, my uncle is deceased (2010). She was on the cruise with two people. Her aunt who has been mistaken for a male due to her short hair and her niece who has long hair. My family is devestated and was not financially prepared for such a tragic event. My cousin Marina (oldest granddaughter) decided that due to that fact that we all thought that my aunt had life insurance but didn't felt that we as a family can try to do what ever was in our power to raise the money and lay to rest my aunt with her husband how died veteran and served his country. It is what she would want. So I ask that you all please only feel free to send condolences. We are not trying to gain money for our own personal gain. Like the old saying says, "if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all." Our hearts are broken and my aunt will for ever be missed. We love you so much Auntie!

SR - August 22, 2015 10:01 PM

Man overboard was announced to the ship at approx. 4:45. They were retrieving the body by 6:15. THere were 4-6 ft. seas and the Glory was going around 16 knots at the time. It takes time to slow a ship that size down and turn it around in the best of seas. They can't just lower a life boat immediately either. I think, under the circumstances, Carnival did the best they could. It was widely rumored to be suicide and even if the woman survived the jump in the water, the seas were so rough a person would have easily drowned before anyone could get to her. It was a sad time. Carnival kept all passengers updated while still guarding the privacy of the family. no one could have saved her.

Jeff - August 22, 2015 11:06 PM

I, too, was on the ship. The rescue efforts were not the best, but frankly, they wouldn't have saved her life. Those seas were rough and the winds were gusting pretty high. They had closed the Serenity deck bc the winds were high. It was a challenging rescue at best. My condolences to the family. Mental health disease and depression are serious and not to be taken lightly. It was very sad after that. Having worked NYC EMS on 9/11 rescue efforts and being a critical care nurse, I know that there was no way to have saved her life. No matter how swiftly they turned the ship around, it wouldn't have made much difference. May she Rest in peace. couldn't imagine what the family went through

John - August 23, 2015 12:21 AM

I was on the cruise with my family and am still in shock over the incident. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family and all who were touched by such an unexpected loss.

As to what happened......

The Glory was already hard into a starboard turn when my wife and I returned to our cabin, less than 15 minutes after the overboard announcement was made. As someone else mentioned, the seas were very rough and upon completing the 180-degree turn, the rough water was compounded by the sun's glare on the water. Whoever is bemoaning a lack of coast guard and naval presence is simply ignorant. It's not like a fleet shows up in 30 minutes and we were off the coast of a Honduran island...not Norfolk, VA. I saw a grand total of three vessels on site at the end of the recovery - two local fishing boats and what passes for a Honduran coast guard vessel...none of which looked like they should be that far from shore in those waters.

Observations:

1) I estimate at least one-fourth of the people on the starboard balconies were taking pictures and videos of the body being recovered. Mark (earlier post here) even boasted about it. That's beneath contempt but I guess you gotta' get post "Likes" somehow. Respecting the deceased and their family is so old school.

2) People were actually complaining about Carnival not giving enough credits/money back. If you did the simple math it was obvious the ship couldn't make Grand Cayman Thursday and there was no way to postpone it until Friday and still reach Miami Saturday. One lady in the elevator with my wife blamed Carnival for her daughter seeing the body even though the only that could happen is if mom dragged the kid to see it.

3) Calling the "front desk" or screaming at anyone with a Carnival name badge does not constitute "informing" Carnival nor does it prove negligence or malicious intent on their part.

4) Life boats are not search & rescue craft. And, if you stuck around long enough to watch the life boat's recovery you'd have seen the crew was in serious danger when one lift cable became twisted as the boat was lifted. We could easily hear the cable's strain and had that cable snapped several of that boat's crew would've likely been in the water, immediately next to the ship and at risk of going underneath.

A life was lost and I sincerely hope the family, in time, will overcome the feelings of sadness and loss and are able to look back with warm, fond memories of their loved one's life and give thanks for the time they were able to spend together. God bless.

Marina - August 23, 2015 1:04 AM

Colleen - August 23, 2015 9:28 AM

To the family, my deepest and sincerest condolences on the tragic loss of your beloved Aunt. I too was on the ship and witnessed the awful responses of other passengers. Some taking videos or pictures or in my case another passenger elbowed me in the chest to move me aside so he could take pictures. To the family, Please accept my heartfelt apology for the rude comments and rude actions of others. We were all emotionally affected by this event and I pray for your healing.

John, THANK YOU for posting such an accurate account!!!! Carnival handled themselves and the situation with utmost professionalism and kindness. This was a very large shop going between 12-19 knots with 5-7' swells. They are not able to stop on a dime it takes as much as a 1/2 mile to stop and return back to the original "man overboard" announcement. At one point this woman was approx 300 yards from us. It's amazing and speaks to the true skill of her captain to find her within a 2 hour time span!

What many do not know is that it's necessary to obtain permission or have ship docking available (we didn't. There were other cruise ships in the other ports) our captain could have gone on to Grand Cayman but we would have only had approx 4 hours there. Instead he obtained permission to dock in Cozemel again to allow for a full 8 hour day there. The crew refunded any excursions and port cost fees right away and in my opinion acted PROACTIVELY rather than reactively and that's professional. By also offering an additional 25% off your next cruise (we had already completed 75% at that time) seemed fair. Yes we didn't get exactly what we all wanted but Carnival handled themselves fantastically! I don't want to appear heartless when I say this but my cruise was wonderful and I will be cruising again with them.

To the people who acted shamefully -the picture takers, the bullies, the rioters, that rude man with the loud boom box drowning out the ship announcements. may you have your moment of embarrassment while you think of your actions!

Once again to the family, my deepest condolences as you heal.

David Nguyen - August 23, 2015 11:49 AM

I'm sorry to hear about this. My vacation just concluded on Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas and when we arrived in Cozumel we heard the tragic news. It spread like wildfire and everyone was worried. Arriving at the port in Mexico it was terrible to hear that carnival dream was the only ship there also welcoming the glory. God have mercy on us all and my condolences to the family.

Colleen - August 23, 2015 7:28 PM

Once again to the family, my deepest condolences as you heal.

Bo - August 23, 2015 7:59 PM

Suicide is an inherently selfish act. I am sorry that this person was so disraught as to think killing herself was an acceptable solution, which it is not. I wish she had sought treatment, and I feel sorrow for her family. But...really you are so selfish that you need your dying act to be messing up 2000+ peoples vacation? If you really want to see suffering there is much in this world to view. Just wait till you get home, with your first world problems.

Julie - August 23, 2015 9:08 PM

Totally agree with John, couldn't of said it better. It is very sad that someone lost their life and none of us are in a position to judge. I was on the cruise and could not believe how initially everyone was on the upper deck looking over but after a while of not seeing anything went on partying…but the minute she was spotted everyone ran over cameras out taking pictures. One man even pushed me out of the way. I was out there helping in locating her because the thought of anyone out there is heart wrenching. I have boated my whole life and the fact is that they found her at all was pretty amazing especially in light of the conditions. Those who stand and criticize the efforts could not of done any better. No need for another tragedy. Carnival did an amazing job and I do not feel they needed to reimburse anything to the travelers. This should have made people stop and think how fortunate they are and how precious life is. Our lives go on and there is a family now having to deal with the loss of a loved one.

Marina - August 24, 2015 2:15 AM

Bo,

In case you weren't aware she was suffering first world problems. She lost her husband who just so happened to be fighting for the country you live in. Depression is a serious medical condition and she actually was treating it and as a matter of fact she did cry out for help so "Bo" think about how selfish you sound just because your little part of vacation got "messed" up while a life was lost. i am so happy my grandma taught me to be the opposite of you and be kind to all. I hope one day you experience what my family has been going through.

L.M - August 24, 2015 8:59 AM

Carnival was warned on sunday morning 8-16-2015 at the front desk by myself and 3 other passengers that she was at risk we gave the front desk her name after we had breakfast with a couple who met Carol Dimas on Saturday right after we set sail. They were scared she would jump or someone would harm her. The front desk called security and security wrote very little down. I dont know if Carnival took us seriously because she did say her husband was on board and he was not because we later discovered he had passed away. However carnival was told how didtraught she was on sunday and 4 of us went to the front desk and then security talked to the couple that met her the first day prior. Us reporting this on Sunday is a fact or i would not post this!

L.M - August 24, 2015 3:42 PM

Please visit the gofundme page for Carol Dimas's family and help them with the funeral costs. I met her on the ship and she was a very sweet woman and dearly loved by her family. Pleade be kind and compassionate to the family every $1 will help toward the funeral and bringing her home to be burried.

Gin - August 25, 2015 12:40 AM

Some of these comments are truly disturbing. The person who tells Carol's (yes this is a person) granddaughter that she is fake is disgusting. I am related to Marina a teenager and this is an unfortunate event regardless of the details. There is family including kids like Marina who have suffered a true tragedy. Thank you for the comments that consider the families feelings and what they are going through. The other comments are just sad ... It's sad to think people have no compassion and are more concerned with statistics and how someone can fall off a ship. Does it matter? A person died and it is a tragedy. Her husband did pass away and was not on the ship with her. Can you imagine if this was your mother or grandmother and how you would feel?

JR - August 27, 2015 9:37 PM

I too was on same cruise. The shock of the announcement was unbelievable when I heard it. But nothing can compare to the shock of what Carol's family is going through. I wish to convey my condolences to the family and pray for your strength during this difficult time.

tula - August 28, 2015 3:29 PM

Marina, I'd like to apologize to you and your family. I normally ignore rumours but this time they got the best of me. RIP

Phil - August 28, 2015 6:11 PM

john yours is the only one that is spot on true. The others are absolute rubbish. My condolences from a fellow passenger.

Michelle - August 28, 2015 8:25 PM

We were on the Carnival Dream. When we ported in Grand Cayman, we heard the tragic news. My deepest condolences to the family & witnesses. May God be with you all....

DC - August 29, 2015 3:00 PM

Marina, I was on the cruise and could not stop thinking about your family at this sad time. My deepest condolences goes out to you all.

kevin - August 31, 2015 10:24 AM

I also was there. Very rude of other passengers actions after the lose of the lady. You people should be ashamed of yourselves to get in the face of the crew members explaining the next port stop. I'll go again had awsome time in all port calls. We are saddened of the tragic event that took place . our condolence to the family , best wishes to them

Q - October 8, 2015 10:41 AM

I happened to come across this story just this morning. God bless this family.

vbailey - April 27, 2016 9:36 PM

My husband and I were on this cruise and witnessed the recovery of this woman. We were both impressed with the manner that the captain handled this tragic situation. For those that commented that the ship did not respond appropriately you are sadly mistaken. As soon as the call went over the intercom that a man was overboard the captain began the process of slowing the ship down and turning around, which is not a fast process I might add. We had high winds and swells 4-7 foot high that day and the captain did not give up on trying to locate this woman. Once we had reached back to the coordinates at which the call went out, the captain even asked the quest for assistance in looking for her if you were near a window or a balcony. It just so happened that we were sitting on our balcony and witnessed the rescue raft being lowered and many attempts to recover this lady's body. It took a good 30 minutes just to get her into the rescue boat because of the huge wave swells. I give props to this captain never giving up!! As for those that want to complain about their trip being ruined...my husband and I took this cruise to create a memory because we knew his time was limited due to pancreatic cancer! He lost his battle 3 months later. Many people have said we should have sued the Carnival cruise lines...I ask why? This tragedy was not the fault of the cruise line. If anything they went out of their way to make sure the quest didn't spend a useless day at sea! And yes the Grand Cayman's was high on our list of ports we wanted to see. My question to you is "how would you feel if this was your family member and the captain gave up the search just so you could make your port on time"? To the family of Carol Dimas ..I am truly sorry for your loss and pray that you will find peace...and forgiveness for many selfish idiots!!!