Ship Life - What It's Really Like to Work on a Cruise Ship

Cruise Ship - "Ship Life"Over the years, crew members have sent me lots of stories about what it's really like to work on a cruise ship. Lots of time they send photos and videos of the working conditions they face.

It's not the pretty images shown to the guests who occasionally go on behind-the-scene tours.

"Ship life" is how the crew members describe it.

I have shared some of these photos and videos on this blog from time to time.

Like when MSC crew members were ordered to throw black plastic garbage bags into the sea at night. Or photos of trolleys of food, hidden from USPH inspectors, in the Silversea crew quarters.

Starting this month, I will begin to regularly post photos and videos sent by crew members to us showing the actual working and living conditions of the crew. The photos and video will be a glimpse into actual "ship life," like the incredible amount of cleaning that needs to be accomplished in the galley after the second seating is over.

The identities of the crew will, of course, remain confidential.

See the photos here on our Facebook page.

If you are a crew member, feel free to send us your photos and videos.  Please don't get caught.  The cruise lines will quickly terminate your employment.

Comments (7) Read through and enter the discussion with the form at the end
Interested Pax - July 14, 2015 6:28 PM

Jim, this is great! Really looking forward to these back-of-house vids/pix. Crew posting to their social media accounts risk retribution. You are providing a protected venue. Excellent.

Teresa - July 14, 2015 6:46 PM

Thank you, I think this is a great idea. For those of us who cruise to be able to learn the reality of behind the scenes & how those who are making our vacation a time to remember are possibly living a life they wish to forget.

Marcos - July 14, 2015 10:52 PM

Jim, Thank you for the Windows of opportunity, Poor management, lack of responsibility from upper ranks with crew, crew cabins in unliving conditions, such as pests that hmmmm my cabin makes some strange noises, oh its just the rocking of the ship due to the seas. I'm sorry to say but this will never end. And we call ourselves evolved?? Its almost Mid-evil times, were you will still have people to pay for some-one serving them crap food at un human wages as long as i debark or buy my t-shirt in the Bahamas its ok! Its the same as Seaworld, We know they slave the whales but its ok if its for my enjoyment.

Tinikini - July 15, 2015 2:32 AM

Wow!!! I can't wait for this...or maybe I can. This will be interesting to say the least. Thanks Jim.

Heidi - July 15, 2015 2:37 AM

I can't help but feel this might be a bit degrading to the industry.

As a crew member, I don't really want guests to know what goes on behind the scenes, it's kills the Magic a bit, and also, that's our time and space. Can you imagine that Coast guards and public health services may have a field day with this? Especially as another comment said, something's are bound to be staged to get attention. Just a thought anyway.

Skip - July 15, 2015 1:36 PM

Marcos,

If you don't like your working conditions, quit. Nobody forces you to work in the cruise industry.

melroy fernandes - September 27, 2015 1:28 PM

yes that's true and I am sure this is a royal Caribbean ship