5 Things Cruise Lines Won't Say

The Wall Street published an article today entitled 10 Things Cruise Lines Won’t Tell You (with a sub-titles of "navigating a sea of potential sickness, danger and debt") as part of its "Market Match" program.

Included in the article is the video below entitled "5 Things Cruise Lines Won't Say."

The video mentions (1) Sinking cruise ships; (2) norovirus; (3) over-consumption of alcohol; (4) cruise ships won't wait for you at ports of call; and (5) sexual assaults at sea and crimes during shore excursions.

Comments (7) Read through and enter the discussion with the form at the end
Richard - October 8, 2013 8:53 AM

Just plain old fashioned common sense. Nothing new here!

John Goldsmith - October 8, 2013 9:53 AM

Thank You for the article. As I have mentioned, I like to cruise. I also like to travel and visit other cities and areas. All ten items on the list from the site I was made aware of by a very astute travel agent, who told me to seek out a member of the cruise line upon getting on board my first cruise. Each and every item, with the exception of the sinking part, can relate to any onshore or any vacation. I know that there are people "I've seen them" who have no sense of personal responsibilty on board, on shore or generally in regard to situations that can harm them. I've seen people drunk on the golf course drive into a water hazard, then blame the course for getting their clubs wet.
Yes, the cruise lines charge for pictures, special drinks, corkage fee, special dining, gift shop raffles,spa treatments, special cabanas, expedited service and many other items that will run up your bill. If you know this prior to boarding, good on you. If you don't, shame on you.
Be aware, Be responsible, Be smart but mostly---Inform yourself any where you are.

Don Sayman - October 8, 2013 10:57 AM

not sure why I bother. I am sort of pro cruise line, so my postings are never shown. Disney publishes a WARNING as to the danger in Nassau, BA also the idea of not being late is always announced. other cruise lines I have no clue. the cruise director always tells you to take a camera with you to take a picture of the ship as it sails away if you are late.

tinikini - October 8, 2013 10:59 PM

Really Don....if you are "pro cruise line" maybe you should not be reading or posting to this site...DUH!!!

Don Sayman - October 9, 2013 8:09 AM

to tinikini yes you are right it is always better to blame someone else. never take any blame yourself. like the
U. S. federal Govt cruise line are a non-profit. and exsit only for drunks and pervits have a nice day we are going on a cruise tomorrow. DUH!!

tinikini - October 9, 2013 10:22 PM

Don, your response does not make sense to me, but I hope you have a great time on your cruise!!!!!

Donna Leonard - October 15, 2013 1:33 PM

Thank you for the video. It was enlightening to say the least. I am an experienced cruiser and love cruising in general. I must say that cruise lines during muster call will only refer to emergencies that require ship evacuation. In 20+ cruises, I have never heard one mention a ship sinking (although this is a possibility, however remote). During Carnival cruises, the cruise line runs a series of PSAs through its television system that discusses hygiene and urges passengers to wash their hands regularly. I have never heard anything broadcast on cruises that discusses sex crimes either on board ship or on excursions. However, Carnival publishes a manual that is included in each cabin that, if read, informs passengers what to do in the event of (fill in the blank). As for alcohol consumption, I agree there is far too much abuse, although I have witnessed ship bartenders deny passengers alcoholic drinks where the passenger is inebriated. Of course, that has never been a problem for me as I consume perhaps 1-2 glasses of wine on a cruise preferring Diet Coke instead. Safer that way.

On another note, I just returned from the Carnival Victory sailing where the 6 y/o boy drowned. In fact, I watched the entire incident unfold. It was horrific. Most troubling to me was that it took Carnival medical staff (a nurse) 20 minutes to arrive on deck. The accident happened at 4:45 P.M. Sunday afternoon, she finally appeared at 5:05 P.M.. During this 20 minute period, the boy was given CPR by 2 passengers-one of whom was a physician. They worked tirelessly to save this child to no avail. From my vantage point nearby and overlooking the scene, I could tell that the child was dead. His eyes fell to the back of his head and his skin was grey. I kept hearing the physician passenger plead with the boy to wake up. The physician passenger was very shaken as were we all. He intubated the child and ran a central line all the while knowing that the child was dead. He would not pronounce the child dead at poolside in front of 300 onlookers, but waited until the child was transported to the infirmary.I want to know why it took Carnival medical staff so long to arrive at poolside. It appeared to me that the Carnival staff were ill-equipt to handle this situation. It appeared to be a 3-ring circus, rather than a well-oiled machine where staff followed protocol. It was anything but a well-oiled machine.

Thank you again for this forum. I appreciate your work.

Donna Leonard, Esq.