15 Year Old Girl Alleges Gang Rape on Carnival Sensation

A local news station in central Florida is reporting that a 15 year old cruise passenger alleges that she was gang raped by other passengers while cruising aboard the Carnival Sensation cruise ship.

WFTV reports that one of their news reporters interviewed a man who was arrested for allegedly raping a a 15-year-old girl during a Carnival cruise. The news station reports that "investigators said the girl was raped on the Carnival Sensation cruise ship by the man who then encouraged other attackers to do the same."

The Orlando Sentinel reports that the teenage victim stated  that she and another friend, also 15, went to 31 year old Casey Dickerson's cabin with him and four other boys.

The newspaper states that once in the cabin, the girl said, Dickerson and the boys held her down and took turns having sex with her.

At the same time, the victim's teenage friend was being held in the bathroom by one of the boys.

As Dickerson and the others sexually assaulted the victim, they told each other to "switch," so that they would change positions.

The girl said someone knocked on the door while she was being attacked and one of the boys answered it.

The girl said she was on the floor of the cabin, wearing only a bra, and after the person who knocked at the door left, Dickerson and the boys continued their sexual attacks, the complaint says.

The WFTV reporter, Jeff Deal, talked with the suspect, Dickerson, in jail. Dickerson denied raping anyone.

Carnival Cruise  Rape Allegation"According to investigators, a group of underage people asked Dickerson to buy them alcohol.

'You admit you bought alcohol for them?' Deal asked.

'I admit I bought alcohol,' said Dickerson.

Dickerson had access to two rooms because his wife had complained about noise early on in the cruise. Carnival gave them keys to a second room.

Investigators said the group started partying in the first room and that's where the 15-year-old claims she was essentially gang-raped.

Investigators said the girl first claims Dickerson raped her and then two underage boys raped her too.

Investigators said the boys said Dickerson told them to do it.

During the interview, Dickerson claimed he didn't know the age of the young people . . and when we pressed him on the rape allegations he suddenly decided to end the interview."

Photo credit: WFTV

Comments (12) Read through and enter the discussion with the form at the end
Jane William - August 21, 2012 6:13 PM

Still someone cruising with all the bad news ??

Nathan - August 21, 2012 8:45 PM

As disturbing as this story is, I was wondering if you would have reported it if this happened in a hotel? Are you just reporting this because it happened on a cruise ship. The headline you wrote for this implies that it was Carnival's fault. As I read the story it became clear that this could have happened in any hotel, bar, or even the house next door. Anytime alcohol and minors, or even adults, mix there can be all kinds of problems.

GG Adams - August 21, 2012 10:21 PM

NATHAN! Stick to the topic mannnnn!! Have some compassion. STOP tryn to argue about a rape GEESH!!

Jim Walker - August 21, 2012 10:32 PM

Nathan:

My blog is just about cruises. I try and warn cruisers about things they won't read anywhere else and issues that the cruise lines keep secret (like shipboard sexual assault of minors) and what travel agents avoid discussing. My motto: "everything the cruises lines don't want you to know."

As a travel agent, what if any warnings do you give to your clients?

Jim Walker

Nathan - August 22, 2012 1:47 PM

GG Adams. I do have compasion! Rape is not acceptable no matter where it happens! It is terrible and would be great if it never happened anywhere.
Jim, as a travel agent I do warn people of dangers of travel on a cruise or on land. I include in the travel documents a saftey sheet. It warns people that they need to attend muster drill. I tell them to be carefull of their surroundings. What good would it be to not let them know? What good would it be for me to not have a happy client?

Victoria - August 23, 2012 11:23 AM

Disgraced Casey Dickerson was once arrested in 2006, find more about him, pics here http://fandaily.info/?p=30919. Poor girl!

Christy - August 24, 2012 3:50 AM

I think the lack of any sort of law enforcement on cruise ships calls for more than merely distributing a safety sheet with tips on how to remain safe. It's way past time that crimes committed on cruise ships were made *very public* because a crime committed on one of these ships is NOT treated the same as it would be if committed in a land-base hotel in the US (or other Western Country).

The big difference, of course, is law enforcement. Call the cops if a crime is committed in a hotel. Gears are set in motion to catch the perpertrator.

Who does a person call if the same crime is committed on a cruise ship? Who follows up to make sure the perpertrator is brought to justice?

The more people learn about crime that happens on cruise ships maybe the faster laws can change so a *real police investigation* can help solve some of the crimes that are being committed.

Jonathan - August 24, 2012 5:18 PM

Jim,

I am a travel agent and have been a long time follower of your blog and I think you are spot on the majority of the time. I will admit that its hard for me to keep up all the time due to the fact that the reading of the rapes and molestations makes me angry and sick to my stomach (lets face it this blog has a lot of it). My question is simple. What can be done from a legal standpoint to limit these sexually perverse occurrences? What are the screening policies for cruise ship positions and do they vary from line to line? A personal idea for a problem solver would be to offer better pay to more qualified applicants in order to reduce these incidents. The more educated a person is...the less likely they will commit crimes of passion. With the ridiculous amounts of income that these industry giants bring in yearly with their US tax exempt profit, you would think they could (and would want to) afford to keep their “cargo” …I mean passengers safe, and willing to pay a little more to make sure the staff they hired is capable of doing so.

I do remind my clients that they are visiting foreign ports and must be mindful of their surroundings at all times. The trick is to do so without making them paranoid of something happening to them, ruining their hard earned vacation. The last thing someone should have to worry about on their vacation is safety of themselves and loved ones. A co-worker rashly uses the phrase "cheap people book cheap cruises," as a sales tactic to upsell cruise lines. I hate to find myself agreeing with him based on the articles that I found on this blog primarily being focused on "the dirty two" (CCL and RCCL). I would hate to see educating the public on these occurrences turning into the death of the cruise vacation because I believe that cruising is great way to see the world. Companies like Regent and Windstar don’t seem to be having these issues, or if they do its definitely not often. I think this is based on the target market for these cruise lines.

I do want to thank you for the work you do on this blog and I do think the word needs to be spread. This industry needs and deserves a better class of service and human respect. I am doing a NCL cruise later next month and will have my eyes out for level of service, but it is a Pacific Coast sailing and most of the incidents seem to take place in the Caribbean and Mexico (again, attracting a different kind of traveler).

Michael Williams - August 27, 2012 5:31 PM

This is a shocking case. Alison Triessl will be on Jane Velez Mitchell tonight on HLN at 7pm ET. Tune in and get her take on the Casey Dickerson case. Also, check out the ONLY app devoted to detailed trial coverage created by Alison - Wild About Trial - http://www.wildabouttrial/get-wild-about-trial/

LOIS R PARKER - August 28, 2012 9:05 AM

I DON'T CONDON RAPE, HE SHOULD BE PUNISH. I THINK PARENTS SHOULD PAID MORE ATTENTION TO THEIR TEENAGE KIDS WHIE THEIR ON THE SHIP. I AM A TRAVEL AGENT, I LOVE CRUISES, I AM A MOTHER. I HAVE SEEN TEENAGERS ON THE CRUISE OUT AT 3AM IN THE MORNING. NEVER SAW THEIR PARENTS ROMING THE HALLS, DECK AND STANDING BY THE DISCO. PARENTS SHOULD MAKE SURE THAT THEIR KIDS ARE IN THE CABINS BEFORE THEY LEFT THEIR HEADS DOWN. CARNIVAL SHOULD SET A CURFEW FOR ALL KIDS UNDER AGE 17. I HAVE BEEN ON 11 CRUISES AND I HAVE SEEN IT ALL.

che - August 30, 2012 11:28 PM

your right Lois, Parents should discipline and warn their kids to this things.Cruise lines have already rules and regulations for minors, it is Parents responsibility to guide the minors when they are with them on a vacation.I did observed it from cruise..I worked as spa therapist for 5 years in a cruise ship and experienced verbal harassment from some guest and the fact that they were cruising with their wife..a lot of things happened in a cruise, just a reminder to us we just need to be aware of this things especially travelling with teenage kids.

HorhayB - November 13, 2012 8:46 PM

THE 15 YEAR OLD WAS GIVEN A DATE RAPE DRUG IN THE FIRST DRINK THEY PLIED HER WITH.
95% of all teenage males use date rape drugs now regularly. Up from 10% 15 years ago. Oh, your daughters never tell you about it?.It is the most excruciating , annihilating crime a person can go through. Most female victims up becoming alcohol, drug abusers or suicides after. No chance for young females in America today. A gauntlet at every turn.Not a chance.