Crew Member Overboard from Royal Caribbean's Explorer of the Seas

A member of Cruise Critic sailing aboard Royal Caribbean's Explorer of the Seas cruise ship is commenting that a crew member apparently went overboard from the cruise ship last night.  There is a suggestion by those on the cruise ship that the crew member is a waiter and may have jumped.

We reported earlier this year on two other crew members who jumped from Royal Caribbean cruise ships.  On December 31, 2009 we posted the article " Wife of Royal Caribbean Crew Member on Monarch of the Seas Goes OverBoard" involving an apparent suicide of Royal Caribbean crew member Neha Chhikara who jumped from the Monarch of the Seas.  Her case involved allegations that her husband, Ankit Delal, also working on the cruise ship, physically and emotionally abused her.

Explorer of the Seas - OverboardIn March, another crew member jumped from Royal Caribbean's Radiance of the Seas.  You can read about that incident here:  "Man Overboard" Reported on Radiance of the Seas.   We reported that the Master of the  cruise ship responded quickly; however, the crew member (an employee of Park West Gallery) did not survive - "Master of Radiance of the Seas Praised for Rapid Response to Crew Overboard."

It is currently unknown whether the crew member was rescued.  139 people have gone overboard from cruise ships in the last ten years, according to Professor Ross Klein's Cruise Junkie web site.

We will update the article as more information becomes available.  Were you on the cruise or have information to share?  Please leave a comment below.

May 6, 2010 Update:

FoxNews.com is reporting that the U.S. Coast Guard is conducting a search for the 26 year old crew member 138 miles north of the coastal town of Isabela, Puerto Rico.

Royal Caribbean's PR spokesperson Cynthia Martinez is quoted as saying that an after-the-fact review of closed circuit television tapes (CCTV) reveals the crew member lowering himself over the side of the cruise ship around 8:15 p.m. last night.  However, a passenger commenting on the Cruise Critic web sites indicates that the ship did not turn to search for the crew members until around 10:20 p.m. - around two hours later.

These types of incidents reveal security deficiencies on cruise ships.  If a crew member can lower himself over the rail and into the water without being spotted by security or detected by cameras, a terrorist can just as easily come over the rail and onto the ship without being detected.

Does anyone on the Royal Caribbean cruise ships monitor the exterior cameras?

We have reported on this problem on other Royal Caribbean overboards - "Asleep At the Wheel: What Does the Delayed Reporting of Neha Chhikara's Disappearance from the Monarch of the Seas Reveal About Royal Caribbean's Shipboard Security? "

May 7, 2010 Update - Search begins:

The Coast Guard News reports that Coast Guard watchstanders in San Juan received a call at approximately 9:15 p.m. Wednesday from the cruise ship Explorer of the Seas reporting the incident.

Coast Guard rescue crews then began searching for the man overboard.  The Coast Guard deployed a HU-25 Falcon jet crew from Air Station Miami, a C-130 aircraft from Air Station Clearwater, and Coast Guard Cutters Matinicus and Chincoteague (110-foot patrol boats) homeported in San Juan.

May 7, 2010 Update - Comments by family:

The brother and sister of the crew member have left comments below, seeking information and an explanation regarding what happened.  We hope that the cruise line will provide the necessary information and assistance.  Condolences to the Buddaru Family.

May 8, 2010 Update - Search ends:

According to the Daily Sun newspaper in Puerto Rico, the Coast Guard suspended its search for the crew member yesterday morning at "about 7 a.m.”  A Coast Guard spokesperson said "regrettably we did not find him alive."

May 8, 2010 - Crew member identified:

A newspaper Defi Media Group is reporting that the Royal Caribbean crew member is Satianand (Satyanand) Buddaru, age 26, whose family lives on the island of Mauritius.  The newspaper suggests that he worked as a bartender on the cruise ship, although most comments indicate that he was a waiter or assistant waiter.  His sister, Anuradha, stated that she spoke to him "on the telephone Wednesday Satianand Buddaru - Satyanand Buddarumorning.  It seemed normal.  He had no personal problem."

May 9 Update - Passengers applaud Master and crew:

Passengers aboard the cruise ship are commenting that the cruise ship responded promptly and the crew handled themselves profesionally during this difficult experience.

A newspaper in Mauritius LexPress.mu reports that Mr. Buddaru had worked for three years for Royal Caribbean.

May 10, 2010 Update:

Defi Media in Mauritius has an article today on Mr. Buddaru's disappearance, and incudes a photograph (above right) of the young man.

May 11, 2010 Update:

A newspaper in the cruise ship's home port in New Jersey is reporting that the FBI is investigating the incident.  The article also mentions that crew members reported Mr. Buddaru missing around 8:40 p.m.  The Coast Guard issued a statement that they were notified around 9:15 p.m.  The CCTV images apparently show the crew member going overboard at 8:13 p.m.

Credits

Photo of Explorer of the Seas       Luke Redmond's Fickr photostream

Photograph of Ms. Buddaru  DefiMedia Mauritius

Comments (80) Read through and enter the discussion with the form at the end
Anonymous - May 6, 2010 3:24 PM

How could a terrorist "just as easily" climb over the railing? Are there cape-wearing terrorists flying around the ocean stalking lonesome cruise ships? The ships have radar that can surely see other sea vessels coming miles away, so the hypothetical terrorist must have flown!

Jim Walker - May 6, 2010 3:52 PM

Anonymous:

That assumes anyone is paying attention to the radar, which is questionable given prior pirate attacks on cruise ships:

The problem is that whereas there are hundreds of crew members pushing alcohol sales on cruise ships - no one is looking at the CCTV cameras and there are as few as 2 security guards on duty at night.

Rich Coda - May 6, 2010 5:14 PM

Kind of makes one curious that maybe the individual had a small boat, like a rubber raft, waiting to pick him up. If he was going to commit suicide he would have jumped. They said they were about 100 miles from P.R. so a small rubber boat with an outboard could easily make the trip. After the incident in NYC anything is possible. Hopefully the Coast Guard and crew security is thoroughly inspecting the areas of the ship that the individual could have been prior to leaving for anything he/she might have left behind.

anoymous - May 6, 2010 7:56 PM

you know what people can be very stupid and if that is what he choose to do than so be it he works there so he knew where to go and not get caught it is life

anonymous - May 7, 2010 1:36 AM

I'm a crew member onboard the ship. the ship was making announcements and searching the ship once he was noticed missing from his evening dining room shift. The ship has THOUSANDS of camras. and thousands of people on board. Is someone supposed to stand there and stare at every individual camera waiting to see if someone jumps ship? once someone jumps in they'r pretty much screwed anyway. and do you realize how high the nearest deck is even if you coudl try to climb aboard. pretty sure only batman has tools to hoist himself up that high. so even if a terrorist ship got close enough to the ship to get onboard the hypothertical terrorists must have flown aboard.

Jim Walker - May 7, 2010 4:04 AM

Anonymous:

Yes, security personnel should monitor the CCTV cameras. There is also technology for the cameras to be activated by movement when someone goes overboard, with a signal being sent to the bridge. The exact location of the ship can be determined and emergency steps can be taken immediately - rather than what happened here with announcements made and the ship turning around hours later.

Pirates have tools like grappling hooks and lines and have proven they can board large commercial ships with high decks without Batman's help. If there are no security guards patrolling the decks or monitoring the CCTV cameras, the cruise line is inviting a security problem.

Monitored surveillance cameras and motion detectors can alert the bridge to an overboard immediately, avoiding a delay in turning the cruise ship around and pinpointing where the Coast Guard should search.

navin buddaru - May 7, 2010 4:31 AM

I'm the brother of the victim and I can't understand why he did this thing, why they didn't contact the family about my brother. One of his friend call me and told me what happened to him, but its not his friend who need to call me but the leader of the cruise ship.

I'm still waiting for their call and I want to have the copy of the CCTV.

Vanessa Dassiha - May 7, 2010 7:47 AM

I am the Victim's sister, I can't understand why my brother act like this. He is someone who is really strong, never afraid to face hard situations but his mysterious death left me in a deep sorrow as well as the Buddaru's Family especially Kaisy, Manoj, Anu and Vishnu who can't accept loosing him.

Please, Please for God sake inform us if someone know the reason why He killed himself, I know that no one is to be blamed at least we can console ourselves.

shaminta appadoo - May 7, 2010 1:51 PM

He is a family member and we are surprised to know that such a good boy has jumped from the cruise... We want to have more and more information on him and what has caused him to take such a step...

Vicki - May 7, 2010 6:01 PM

I work for Royal Caribbean shoreside and not only does this affect the crew family and friends but all employees. I am saddened that a young man has choosen to end his life and my prayers are with his loved ones and the crew who worked so closly with him.

john brown - May 8, 2010 2:55 AM

i am a crew member who was involve in the look out but the bridge search light was not working. and it was impossible to find him. as crew member it is very hard to see what happen they have to use spot light and that was useless the company is putting a lot stress on the workers and even the managers too. too much to bare

David - May 8, 2010 8:58 AM

It is always sad when someone dies, especially one who is so young and takes their own life. That being said, this individual's selfish actions have impacted thousands of others that were on the ship and going to get on the ship. Our family plans have been thrown into chaos because the times for arriving at the port and boarding have been drastically altered with no compensation being offered by the cruise line. Additionally, since the US Coast Guard is involved, as a citizen of the US my taxes are being spent to search for this individual. There are plenty of ways you can kill yourself without hurting others that never knew you or caused you pain. This individual chose to make a dramatic and impact statement by committing suicide in this manner. Quite frankly I could not care less at this point if his body was found. I never knew the guy, but know my family and I are negatively impacted by him. Since this is my only interaction with his life, I have nothing but insensitive and un-empathetic feelings for him. I hope they never find his body. Of course if RCCL compensates my family and me, my feelings may change. But this guy is just like John Lennon said: "He blew his mind out in a car, but he did not notice that the lights had changed". Meaning; go kill yourself, but don't impact others for your mentally fragile mindset. I hate feeling this way towards another human being, but f*** him, much like the way he f***ed me and my family cruise

karen - May 8, 2010 2:42 PM

I was a passenger on the explorer that day.
This was a unexpected sad situation. How do you prepare for a suicide.
You don't unfortunally. People need to listen to cry's of help. This man must have felt that this was his way out.RCC did notify passengers.unfortunally
You can't keeps your eyes on everyone. If we did then would you like it?

Bill - May 8, 2010 7:53 PM

@David - You're a d@!#%bag! You dont know anything about this individual.. you dont know what was going on in his life or what pain he may have been dealing with... all you are concerned about is how this inconvenienced you and your good time?? nice!

Me and my family got off this cruise earlier today, and I believe RC did a great job getting its passengers through the situation. They were upfront from the start and kept us all up to date with any new info. Everyone was affected in some way by this tragedy, but I'd sooner deal with the inconvenience of being delayed a few hours than dealing with the pain this man must have been in to throw himself off a ship.

BTW.. it was a dark, moonless night (at that time) when this event occured, if he 'lowered' himself in the sea as they say... then it would have been almost impossible to see him even if someone was actively watching the surveillance cameras.

My condolences go out to his friends and family.

thelion - May 8, 2010 9:33 PM

David, do you think acting like is going to make it likely for RCCL to compensate you? No. Acting like that just makes you look like the insensitive, inhuman asshat that you truly are. Oh? Your feelings will change if they give you money? Wow, you must be such a great guy to dole out your humanity in that way.

I hope you never have family that takes this route and I hope that you never experience the pain this man did. But if you do, I bet there will be people who care more than you obviously do.

Jim Walker - May 8, 2010 9:55 PM

David, if you are going to quote John Lennon, try "All You Need Is Love"

Ratso - May 8, 2010 10:15 PM

I was on the ship and have nothing but great admiration and respect for the crew. The situation was impossible and it was handled as professionally as anyone could imagine under such stressful conditions. Passengers were updated, questions were answered directly and no issue was skirted.
Many people were inconvenienced and most people handled the changes with grace understanding that the crew had lost a family member.
As for the time of turn around, the earlier post is very wrong. From the reports we received, he went overboard at 8:40 pm. The ship turned around just about an hour later after confirming that he was no longer aboard.
I'm personally writing a letter to the cruise line to commend the crew for their professionalism.

ida - May 8, 2010 10:48 PM

My family and I were also on the ship. By 8:45 on the evening of the incident, the Master had already made an announcement to search for the missing crewman. A few minutes later he once again came on and said 3 code words - which we later learned meant "man overboard". A few minutes later we heard from the staff that the captain was turning the ship around and we were going back toward Puerto Rico. In the meanwhile there was a thorough search going on throughout the ship. Everyone was searching for this person - including passengers. To say that the Master did not act quickly enough is ridiculous.
Once the ship was at the "spot" where he supposedly jumped-- passengers were on their decks helping the search -- spotlights and all. But how could he be found on a moonless, very dark night?
It was a horrible situation, but the Master and the crew were terrific -- both in responding to the situation and in providing information to the passengers. We were actually surprised that so much info was being given to the passengers and in such a timely manner. To the family of that man - we are so sorry for your loss. It is an absolute tragedy.

joe - May 9, 2010 12:34 AM

I was on the ship. I noticed the ship was turning around as soon as the captain confirmed the incident. First he called for all crew members to report to their stations. Shortly, afterward the ship was turning and then the captain announced the missing crew member. This captain received a standing ovation on the last day for we all believe that he did all that was possible for his medical doctor confirmed that do one could survive 24 hrs in the 70 degree water. I was there the next morning watching the many crew members and passengers who had watched all night in search of the young man. Several employees who knew him stated he was a very quite man who kept to himself. I believe and so do majority of the people on the explorer believe the captained acted in a very proper manner. Having served in the USCG and having witness such incidents before, I was proud of the Captain. Yes, the boat owners lost many hundreds of thousands of dollars and many of the passengers lost many thousands of dollars but still not one crew member nor did I hear one passenger complaint. To the family members he must have been a very special person.

a friend - May 9, 2010 12:41 AM

hey david you are one f***ed up guy. i used to work with satyanand and he was a great guy. im not on the ship now as i will joining the explorer later this month. there's so much stress there .we try our best and live as one happy family there although we come from all around the world. we come across different people everyday and we have to please everyone no matter how difficult they are. and everyday we come across assholes like you who come on a cruise not to enjoy but to look what you will get free. you squeeze the life out of us. sometimes we wish we could really speak our mind out. i bet you must have not even tipped your dinning room personel for feeding you.

hope you will go thru the same thing satyanand did and then i hope you will understand.
go f*** yourself.

diane - May 9, 2010 2:13 AM

when i first heard the captain paging this young man's name to report and for all crew members to advise of his where aboughts...i thought 'strange' for the annoucement to come from the captain..after a time 'SOP' had to be done before the next page from the captain..6 times he repeated a word which we learned was code for man over board. i was chilled by the announcement there after in plain ENGLISH..it took me many many minutes to come to the realization of what actually had taken place..went to the pool deck with many others already there with more announcements asking for quiet on the outer decks so we or someone could hear a cry for help. questions need to be answered still no doubt..but 1100 plus workers , many up all night, put on their professionalism and went to work again starting as early as 6am..with no time to grieve..i applaud those folks and will remember them and the young man who took his life..

Cathie - May 9, 2010 7:25 AM

I was a passenger on the Cruise Ship when this incident happened. I would like to say I'm sorry for your loss. Losing someone you work with is horrible and then have to act like nothing happened to continue to entertain the guests must have been a very difficult task. I was in the dining room when they first asked if anyone knew anything about this gentlemen. Then shortly afterwards another anouncement came on which was a code word for "man overboard". Our assistant waiter was there, yelled shit and took off. These men and ladies acted quickly and professionaly. Not only were they having to deal with the painful situation in front of them but also had to deal with thousands of passengers who were asking 1000 of questions. To his family. My deepest sympathy. I'm sure you will for the rest of your life ask why and really no one will ever be able to explain but please know that RC Employees did what I would consider a good job.

Judy - May 9, 2010 7:44 AM

I was also a passager on the ship. I found that everyone except David was saddened about this tragedy. My heart goes out to the family who loved him and the crew members that are friends. I looked out over the ocean and wondered what would make someone end their life this way.
I was in the dining room the time of this event. They announced that a crew member went overboard about 8:13pm and we would be turning around to search for him. These anouncements came all before 9pm. It was minutes for the crew to respond. That ship is not like turning your car. We sat on the balcony searching, just as hundred of us did, looking and hoping that we would find this young man.
David, I hope that you get the monatary reinbursement that you are truely looking for and hope that someday that you see that it not all about YOU, a young man is dead. I will pray for you.
It truely saddens me of a lose of anyone.
To the family, I hope that God will help you put peace in you heart. I am so sorry for the lose of your love one.

Chris - May 9, 2010 10:00 AM

My wife and I, passengers on that cruise, were deeply bereaved not only by the young man's untimely demise but by the fact that many of the other passengers appeared to be immune and unmoved, maintaining levity, gaiety and joviality, to the event. Suicide is a tragedy; God only knows what personal demons this man was dealing with that would lead him to take his own life. The life of a cruise ship employee appears to be a lonely one and it must be difficult to cope with one's own problems amidst a ship full of jubilant revelers. I don't condone suicide for any reason but I won't presume to speak for all men. The life of this man was worth far more than all of the "inconveniences" his death may have caused, combined. My condolences to his family.

Joyce - May 9, 2010 11:22 AM

I was a passenger on the Explorer that day, and it saddened us all. Our group was also concerned about the other crew members and how they felt. We tried to console them and let them talk about their fellow crew member who had passed. We felt that the Captain did a great job in keeping us informed as to what was going on. Sure, our departure was delayed but we were going through nothing compared to what the crew was going through and the family of the deceased. I commend the the Captain and his crew.

Kelly - May 9, 2010 11:23 AM

I too was on the ship with my husband and two boys. We were at a show called "the unexpected boys" where it was interrupted twice by an announcement of "oscar oscar oscar". No one knew what this was about. When we got to our room after the show it was announced that a crew member went overboard and we were turning the ship around to search for him. I was horrified as was my family. I agree with Chris that it was hard to see people acting as if nothing happened. Our condolences to this man's family and crew family. Also, we applaud Royal Caribbean and all the crew on the Explorer for their professionalism and honesty.

Sharon & Charles - May 9, 2010 12:13 PM

We were also on the Explorer that awful night. Our group was at dinner when the "code call" was anounced. Our asst waiter, Jhon, for the second dinner seating was visibly upset. As it turned out, he and the victim were very good friends. The Master and crew worked diligently through the night until 5:30ish AM looking for their friend and co-worker until the coastguard took over. The Master was giving us detailed updates every step of the way.
Bless the victim and his family.

MCRXXXXX - May 9, 2010 1:04 PM

Yes unfortunatelly: there is a lot suicide on the Royal Caribbean ships. just last week one of our friend jumped overboard and they could not find him, he jumped 20.15 but the ship (explorer of the seas ) continue to sail and they realized after 2 hours, after 2 hours later they returned but it was too late, and we could not find him, he was a waiter. He suicided because we are all working under pressure and we work long hours especially, Dining room department one of the worst department in the ship. Working 11 hours every single day without salary. I am deeply sorry writing this comments but that might be the reason he suicided.

Passenger briefly knew him - May 9, 2010 2:22 PM

I was on my honeymoon when this incident happened. I am so sorry to his family. He waited on me and my husband on board and we talked with him for a bit about where he came from, his family he loved so much and how he was happy to talk with them on the phone the next day. From the few mins we talked with him he was so happy. It is a tragedy that this has happened. My thoughts go out to the family and friends. I am so very sorry. He was a wonderful person and we are so so saddened by this. For those of you that put terrorist and other things on here should be ashamed! This has nothing to do with that this should be a bunch of comments to the family giving our condolences! How dare you say things about the cruise the crew members were great and they did everything in there power to search for him (over 800 miles) Ship members, guest all stood out on the balconies helping in the search we were all so upset and hope still is out there for him to be found.....

Shelly - May 9, 2010 2:53 PM

I was also on this cruise, along with my husband and 2 kids. I cannot find any words worthy enough to use to describe the professionalism and heart-felt manner that the captain and every crew member displayed during this tragedy. We were kept abreast of what was happening every step of the way, and the captain and crew worked tirelessly to find their friend. Many passengers, as well as myself, also tried watching and listening to the waters to help aid the search. We all wanted to be the hero in saving this man. I am so sorry to the family that it turned out this way. I hope you find some sort of closure and peace in your hearts. I have prayed for your loved one. To the captain and crew, you are absolutely amazing and a very special group of people. As to David, there is only one place in God's kingdom for you and it is called Hell. When it is your time to go, which I hope will NOT be until you are an old man, you will meet your Maker and have to explain your actions to Him. Don't forget that you agreed to Royal Caribbean's terms in the contract stating that they reserve the right to change or alter your itinerary. You should re-read it, or perhaps you never did at all. If Luis and Kalpesh on Deck 5 dining are reading this, Scott, Shelly, Ryan and Nacole miss you already!!!

stacey - May 9, 2010 3:04 PM

i was also on the ship explorer of the seas and happened to get room service the night it happened... i asked my room service waiter what happened and he happened to be freinds with him and told me and my family that he was upset that morning because he brokeup with his boyfriend and wanted to get fired and get off the ship so he went and got drunk and got fired and the jumped in the water .....

Mary Ann - May 9, 2010 4:37 PM

My husband and I were on the ship also and were very impressed with the Captain and all of the crew as they responded to this tragedy and kept all of us informed as best they could. We were so saddened to hear that this young man had chosen to end his life. Our thoughts and prayers go out to all of the crew and to the family and friends of Satyanand Buddaru.

I hadn't heard that his body had been recovered, however the article below from The Jersey Journal indicates it was. If that's so, then I'm happy his family will have at least that bit of closure. In time I hope they can get answers to their questions from the authorities and can find peace and acceptance. http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2010/05/bayonne_police_waiting_for_cru.html

Wyman - May 9, 2010 7:36 PM

I was on this cruise with my family and can't tell you how sad we all felt about this. Unfortunately the search didn't end well and our condolences go out to this crew member's family as well as his fellow employees. And just a note to David, your lack of compassion is disgusting, you and anyone like you is what is wrong with this world.

Susan - May 9, 2010 7:46 PM

My family was at the late seating dinner when we heard the code and noticed the boat listing from the sharp turn it was making. Upon asking our waiter what was happening, he said "It is a delicate situation", we just asked if we were sinking, concerned only for ourselves due to the listing of the ship.
I am so sad for this young man and his family. Nothing is so serious or so terrible to end your life over it. That knowledge and wisdom, however, comes with age.
Explorer of the Seas crew were wonderful, considerate and hard working. This situation was handled with dignity and class. I have no complaints.
David, glad I didn't sit with you on this cruise at dinner or meet you at any time.

Bill - May 9, 2010 9:09 PM

I, too, was a passenger on this Explorer of the Seas cruise. From what I could see the ship's crew responded quickly and professionally to the incident. Any reports that they waited "hours" to turn around the ship are, to my knowledge, inaccurate. We were at the 8:30 p.m. dinner seating for a short while when we heard a page for the missing crew member, followed quickly by an emergency code, immediately after which the crew scrambled to their assigned search stations & we could feel the ship turning. The captain kept us informed of their efforts, which were unfortunately unsuccessful. Our condolences to the missing crew member's family. We surely wish the crew or Coast Guard could have found him in time to save him, but from what we experienced it seems they did all that they reasonably could.

Ashy - May 10, 2010 8:17 AM

I was friend with Satyanand Buddaru, mostly known as Vicky. Am in Mauritius at the moment and just found out about the incident yesterday. It's heartbreaking that he ended his life this way, only he knows what was going on. Have known him to be such a joyful, lovely, friendly and adorable guy. I still can't believe that I've lost such a good friend. MISS U VICKY AND MAY YOUR SOUL REST IN PEACE....

John Smith - May 10, 2010 10:08 AM

my mother was on this cruise and the word on the ship was his boyfriend had just broken up with him and he was VERY depressed. Talking with a counselor on board. Not being able to help, he jumped to his death. When he did not report to his station, the ship was searched and the cameras checked. When he was seen plunging into the ocean, the ship turned around to start a grid search until the coast guard was on scene.

Carmelina Fidelio - May 10, 2010 10:10 AM

My family and I were also passengers of the Explorer of the Seas when this tragic happened! First i wanted to say that im very sorry for this young man and for his family and may he rest in peace. Second i wanted to say to all the crew members thank you for responding to this situation in a very professional manner. In an half hour of the incident all the passengers were alerted and the captain turned the ship around. As far as we are concerned the Royal Caribbean crew members went over and beyond what was expected. And even after being up all night searching for their friend they still at 7 am were there at their stations serving the passengers. So please if you were not on board when this sad situation took place please do not judge! Thank you

Nicole - May 10, 2010 10:28 AM

I am so saddened to read this. I used to work on a cruise ship and I cant even begin to imagine how devastating this is for the crew and guests onboard that ship. My cousin works on the Explorer and his parents were onboard that cruise and they too have expressed their sadness at the incident. They've also commended the crew and staff for their efficiency and professionalism. I just want to say to the family of this young man that no matter what, the great memories of him should always remain in your heart. I pray that you will find comfort in this time of grief and pain. And I say to the world.. Royal Caribbean staff is the best!!

dishon bailey - May 10, 2010 3:24 PM

royal caribean must pay attention to the crew and not just on the sailer.. crew need attention ..

Concerned passenger - May 10, 2010 4:33 PM

I was also a passenger at the time. We were also in the dining room and it was a horrible and disturbing announcement. My husband and I praise Royal Caribbean for their handling of the situation. Most people I came into contact with were very upset and I think everyone's hearts go out to the family and crew. With so many cameras on board you would need hundereds of people to monitor every one at every second of the day. The captain and crew kept us well informed and never lied to us. There were not only 3500 people on the ship disembarking on Saturday but an additional 3500 people waiting to take the next cruise out that same day, and they somehow had to be organized enough to make that happen. Most people with a heart understood.
And David, you are a total waste of life. I'll bet your family is really proud of you. I'm glad you weren't at my table for dinner. If it was your family member would you feel the same? It's people like YOU who make this world so screwed up. So he "f**cked you and your family cruise"...family man, huh? Hope you don't talk to your kids like that. I can only hope that you NEVER have to deal with a family member's suidide or unfortunate accident, much less one of your childrens'. Or maybe that would ruin your vacation too?

Cris - May 10, 2010 8:29 PM

Our nine member family vacation was impacted by the tragedy of Mr. Buddaru's suicide, but rather than be angry about delays, it made us all stop and consider what if it had been one of our family members...and how grateful were we that it wasn't. Many of our family kept watch during the night, in hopes of helping with a rescue and recovery. Our wonderful stateroom steward, John - deck six - would not hear of it when I told him the following morning that he did not need to attend to our room, we could make our own bed and use the same towels, etc. He told me he knew Mr. Buddaru well, as probably did most of the crew. They live and work together for months at a time, and become their own second families. Some are married, many date. The general mood of most of the passengers on Thursday, I felt, was rather subdued. Unfortunately, I did overhear some people complaining..what makes these people tick, I will never know. The crew, while maintaining big smiles, were deeply affected, as you could see by their eyes. Poor sweet Kelly (the girl with soooo much energy when you entered the buffet) was obviously in much pain, it broke your heart, but she still had that smile on her face. I have never witnessed such professionalism, in time of distress, then from the Crew. After an incredibly long, stressful night, it was MY needs that were attended to the next day and until the end of the cruise, when in fact, it should have been theirs. I wanted them to sit down, and let me serve them. While the passengers were assured that counselors were available for the crew, they didn't have the opportunity to close the door, lower the blinds, not answer the phone....as many of us would have done to have their own private time in dealing with a tragedy like this that has no answers. Our prayers are with the family, both immediate and the Royal Caribbean family.

Jonhson - May 11, 2010 4:24 AM

Royal caribbean waiter overboard ??
Not surprised,i have worked almost two years and
many times have the intention to jump because of
so many pressure ,no salary and so many guest
didn't paid the gratuity after so much hard work.
Working in the ship is like working in jail...
GOD BLESS BUDDARU !! i leave on time ...

DSouza - May 11, 2010 4:30 AM

I understand because i'm a crew of ROYAL CARIBBEAN
and the company priority is PROFITS NOT PEOPLE
They screw-up ...and the last moment...simple jump...

Rags366 - May 11, 2010 8:58 AM

It was a sad day for all of us, passengers and crew, onboard the Explorer of the Seas last week.

Mary Ann - May 11, 2010 8:59 AM

This new article now states that this young man's body was not recovered as previously reported - see last pp.

Diane - May 11, 2010 2:00 PM

our family of six was also on this cruise..Vickey served us bread and coffee every nite, with pleasantry, smiles and very well mannered. However on wednesday nite at dinner we did notice a difference in Vickey, he really wasn't smiling, it was forced..and there was sadness in his eyes..He missed the "O solo mio" sing, and told us he would sing for us tomorrow nite. That never happened. For whatever reason, he chose to take his life that night. I am very sorry for all who knew him, the loss must be tremendous. In the short time we knew him, he felt like family.
God Bless Vickey!!I hope your in a better place and your sorrows are resolved. I know your fellow workers miss you. My heart, prayers and thoughts, go out to them and your loved ones.

raj - May 12, 2010 2:08 AM

hello after hearing the news about the incident on cruise ship... i will add something that people dont know it's a real f***in job on board myself have experience it.. salary not good zot exploit mauritian and other nationalities.. lots of pressure on work and shift are not good...

Raj

Cruise Ship Reviews - May 12, 2010 6:00 AM

This is a serious situation. It is spoiling the reputation of the ship which it earned putting so much efforts over the years.

humanity - May 12, 2010 12:26 PM

i am happy to see so many passengers giving their condolence. but how many of you sre contributing in creating pressure to guy like vicky by not paying the tips which is their salary and for you it is nothing . they suffer to make your tour a success please dont let others do it pay them what they merit. money is nothing we come empty handed and go empty handed.

angel - May 12, 2010 12:36 PM

i sympathy the family buddaru. you want to know the reason of your brother's death plz contact his friends they may tell you . i feel friends always know more than families. plz this time don't let them get in trouble they are already suffering with lot of pressure. hope you find your answer

george - May 12, 2010 3:15 PM

i was on the explorer of the sea, vicky was our asst. waiter, the night he went overboard he was very sad and was crying my daughter ask if he was ok he said yes, and ask why he didt/t sing for us he said he would the next night but he did/t we knew something was wrong with him, he even hugged some of the other waiters and said good bye to them but no one did anything for him

char H - May 12, 2010 7:13 PM

There is an immense amount of effort and time and care that goes into the security of the ships!! The crew work as hard as they can to prevent such tradedies but if somebody wants to kill themself then it will happen anywhere be it a ship, at home on land!!!

Annie - May 13, 2010 7:23 AM

I was on the Explorer of the sea when this tragedy happen. I was sleeping when I heard an announcement from the captain saying,OSCAR OSCAR OSCAR. I woke up scared and sat up on the bed. Turn on the T.V. and noticed that we was still in the same spot, like we had never moved. The captain made another announcement letting all of us know that one of their crew member had lowered himself to deck 5 and is missing. He also stated that we are turning around to find him. There was a search for him, but no luck. Satyanand Buddaru, mostly known as Vicky, you will be missed by your family and friends that love you very much. My prayers are with the family, both immediate and the Royal Caribbean family.

Sad situation - May 13, 2010 1:31 PM

I was on the Explorer of the Seas cruise that was delayed because of this incident. What happened to the crew member is very tragic. Reading the comments of the family made me upset and their grief must be great. The whole situation seems unusual. Why did he lower himself over the side if he was committing suicide?

Here's the deal though. I don't believe Royal Caribbean handled this situation properly. The ship was extremely late to the dock and we were left high and dry, with no lodging, for around 9 hours.

This delay resulted in additional transportation and food costs. Also, we lost a full day of a cruise that was already paid for. More specifically, we were herded into the terminal during chick-in like cattle. The total check-in process lasted approximately 2 hours. This created huge problems and turmoil for many passengers. We were supposed to board at noon...but we didn't get on the boat until around 11pm.

Despite the delay, RC did nothing to compensate the passengers. The extent of their efforts to make amends was to offer us a piece of paper that essentially repeated the story found in the article above. There was no compensation or apology whatsoever for the lost day on the cruise. Nothing. Not even a "sorry you lost a day." They simply acted like it didn't happen and then moved on.

This is not what I would call dealing properly with the situation. We were told that Royal Caribbean made the decision not to offer compensation. Likely, the company did a balancing test. On the one side was passenger satisfaction. On the other side was a small profit. They chose the small profit. This was very poorly handled and we do not plan to go on another cruise with Royal Carribean.

Shelly - May 13, 2010 6:08 PM

You know what David and "sad situation," at least this did not happen on your cruise. It was very scary and worrisome. It left a dark cloud over our cruise from Wed night through Sat. It was traumatic to have been a part of this. In addition, my family of 4 could not get a flight home because of the delay so we had to rent a car and drive 6 hours home, when a plane would have done it in 1 hour. You don't hear me complaining about the situation. I have nothing but empathy for everyone involved in this unfortunate incident, including you for being inconvenienced. Why should you be compensated? Your cruise contract clearly states that RCCL reserves the right to alter or amend your itinerary. That is exactly what happened to you and you agreed to it when you booked your cruise. Besides, you really did not lose a day of your cruise. RCCL does not need to board until after 2:00 (it's luck if you get on earlier) and you don't sail until 5:00. Where is the day you lost? I was inconvenienced more than you were and received no compensation, but I have nothing but good things to say about RCCL and have written a letter to them commending their performance. Quit your complaining; you sound like a 5 year old!!!

jimmy d - May 13, 2010 8:53 PM

Well, My wife and I were in the dining room when all of this transpired. The crew reacted immediatley to the calls of Oscar, Oscar, Oscar, and the Captain also reacted once he knew all of the facts. It is so sad that no one knew just how fragile "Vickys" mindset was that night. Our cabin was aft on the ship and we could see where he lowered himslf down into the tumultous waters. I may never be able to look at a ships wake again without thinking of him. I spent much time on that balcony all night looking and hoping as did many caring passengers on this ship. The Crew is to be comended for their untiring search for Vicky, and their attention to duty, during ,and following the search. They are all very special, and I hope Royal does somthing for them for their efforts. My heartfelt sorrow to all of his family and friends, and all who knew him in life......and as for you David, my sorrows to the people who "HAVE" to live with you and be "Subjected" to your selfish, moronic views....May God have compassion on all of them by taking you away, somehow' so they may have a chance to learn the real menaing of life......Love one another " As I have loved You " to quote somebody really famous>

Reverend Biker - May 14, 2010 12:34 PM

I was on the Explorer of the Seas during this unfortunate instance. The captain and his crew did everything possible once his absence was reported. There was much more going on with this crew member than anyone has touched on, and I will not violate the late crew member's privacy by airing his personal issues on a public forum.

His room-mate on board and fellow workers I am sure would be able to offer his family an explanation, though none satisfactory in explaining someone's decision to end their life in such a manner.

The crew acted with great care in conducting a search once his disappearance was noticed. His absence was radioed to the coast guard and we immediately headed to the location once it was determined he was overboard and that the Coast Guard was not going to make it on scene until the following morning.

As for those people who said RCI did nothing for them, the captain said RCI staff was set in motion to notify all in-coming people for the next cruise that it was going to be roughly 12 hours late and to not arrive at the port until well after we docked. They also did their best to accommodate the passengers that were on the cruise with flights to make proper arrangements (at no charge for ship-to-shore calls and reimbursing for ticket change charges).

The last few days of the cruise one could feel the palpable tension both among cruise staff and guests and it certainly impacted everyone on board, right up to the captain himself. You could see the sadness in his eyes as he moved through the dining room when he chose to stop by each table and speak with everyone during the dinner service.

The reason behind someone's choice to end their life is a personal one and in spite of the comments regarding "no one watching the CCTV cameras", the point to make is that people can't just fall overboard with the high rails and wind-screens in place for safety. It must be a deliberate act and someone intent on going overboard can and will succeed.

Should someone have noticed sooner, perhaps. He was not well the entire day prior to this incident his co workers and room mate stated he was visibly upset and him missing a shift could have been attributed to a cold or illness. The entire ship was searched prior to turning around, making sure he was not ill or hiding in the cargo hold. By the time the determination was made, time had passed and due dilligence was taken in conducting the search on board before assuming he did go overboard. The careful review of CCTV tapes confirmed him going over and that was when the ship was turned, nearly two hours after he was reported missing for his shift.

I am sure the captain and crew did everything within their power to find Mr Buddaru with no avail.

As for the person who suggested a hidden raft, there is no chance that something could be smuggled like that. We tried to bring a bottle of water on board and it was taken promptly. Imagining someone sneaking a motorized raft aboard is totally absurd.

I feel the worst for those people who feel their vacation was ruined or their own life inconvenienced by a man who clearly felt so alone and upset that his only solution was death. It is those people, who feel they need something more, something free, some kind of compensation in light of the loss of life that just make me sick. I heard plenty of the seniors on the boat complaining over everything from the drinks, to the weather... this is just one more thing for these inherently unhappy people to complain about.

My condolences to Mr Buddaru's family.

The Reverend Biker

Anonymous - May 15, 2010 6:47 AM

I was on the explorer on the day of day of this unfortunate incident.

I was very upset on hearing this young man had taken his life, this is because although I did not really know him, he would always greet me and my wife when we dined in the wind jammer/island grill (11th floor dining) with a smile, he seemed like a genuinely nice person and my heart goes out to his family and friends and to all those his life may have touched. During the morning of the incident the young man was very upset and it was very clear he had a lot on his mind, he looked as though he was going through a very difficult time.

Although there is a lot of praise for the captain and crew, I believe more could have been done to prevent this incident.

1) Cameras should definately be monitored at all times (I know there are possibly hundreds of cameras and this may seem like a tedious task but....this is what happens in shopping malls / shopping centres)

2) If someone can purposefully leave the ship without anyone knowing, just imagine a child or young boy / girl accidentally falling overboard.... how long before someone notices???? (cameras should be monitored)

3) Crew members at the bottom of the pay scale should be treated with more appreciation. Upon talking to some members of the crew I was appalled that crew members were not guaranteed a wage for each cruise.... for those working in windjammer there was no wage, this is where Vikki was working when I met him?? All of the staff in this dining area both windjammer and island grill where excellent.

It should also be noted that these guys were the face of the company and the image of the Royal Caribbean was portrayed through them. Guests such as myself were constantly in contact with these members of staff......What i'm saying is, Royal Caribbean should re-address the way members of staff are treated.

In no way am I blaming Royal Caribbean for this incident, however, I don't believe that on this occasion the crew spotted the state the crew member was in before he unfortunately took his life.

Once again my heart goes out to the family, for the few times I met this young man he was genuinely very pleasant.

george - May 16, 2010 11:51 AM

vickey was our waiter, he became very close to my family, from the commmets i read its seems it no fun working on a cruise ship, my family would like to know if he was found.

Lynn - May 16, 2010 3:46 PM

This is a tragic loss no matter how you look at it. Suicide, personal disappearance, either way, his family and friends have lost him and that is the sad reality.

As for my past fellow employees (yes, I used to work on the Explorer, not that long ago) do not use this story as an excuse to complain about all of the terrible hardships in your life.

People choose where to work. No one working on a cruise ship is a slave, but yes, it is true, they may get paid a low guaranteed wage and count on gratuities to support themselves and their families. That is no different from your typical bar or restaurant server on land - often not tipped appropriately by the wealth of underinformed and/or cheap patrons they serve. As an employee, if you do not like your job or feel it is too much pressure - find a new one.

As a patron, if you receive good to excellent service, tip for it to encourage and reward such service. Don't cheap out, just because you think someone out there owes you this kind of service. Also, learn about the tipping programs, because being underinformed on what is appropriate is simply unacceptable in this day and age of internet information availability.

As a note to anyone questioning the timing of the anouncements, ship turning around, etc., it is simple. Every emergency is dealt with as it comes, end of story.

Procedures, such as the Oscar calls happen only once certain protocols have been followed. The suggestion that someone could know the minute someone lowered themselves/jumped overboard is reasonably ridiculous, unless someone was standing there on deck watching. Between the wind, waves, miles of deck, and thousands of people, no "system" exists to send an alarm to the bridge if someone goes over the rail. How could a system determine what is a waving arm vs a high wave vs garbage blowing in the wind?

The fact that his peers obviously recognized a shift in his behaviour and identified his disappearance as quickly as they did allowing the search to commence is amazing. The moment it would have been determined for sure (ie. reviewing 1000's of cameras of video) that he went overboard would have been the moment the Oscar call was made. That is protocol and Captains do not take protocol lightly.

The moment an emergency situation is identified at sea, the majority of decision-making ability for the Captain is locked in. There are very strict maritime codes of conduct that determine the need to participate in rescues, searches, etc. The vessel stops being a cruise liner and becomes a maritime vessel that happens to have passengers aboard.

For anyone - either onboard or who had to board late on turnaround day that week - who believes that RCI owes them compensation for this situation, you need to give your head a shake. Travel is a choice and should always be considered to have some risk involved. It isn't as though your cruise was cancelled - it was adapted by a few hours. A very small price to pay for someone's life. Especially considering that every passenger is told to check boarding information prior to departure and was thereby informed over 24 hours beforehand. If you cannot deal with unexpected circumstances in life with a modicum of dignity, then you should stay home and save the rest of us from ever having to deal with the likes of you.

Cruising is a wonderful way to travel, and probably about 90% of cruise employees and guests are wonderful people to meet and learn about. It is the other 10% that create such negative experiences that seep over onto everyone else. The most unfortunate thing is that 10% won't even recognize themselves as being the ones indicated here.

becky - May 17, 2010 4:59 AM

Thank you Lynn. I was on the Explorer on this tragic cruise. After reading many of the comments here from cruise staff, I was beginning to feel like a slave master. I was feeling like never taking another cruise if I was inflecting all this stress on fellow human beings. As to compensation, why should RCL be expected to make any compensation. If an unstable individual jumps in front of a subway train, we do not expect the transit company to reimburse the passengers for lost wages or any other expenses. If someone is determined to commit suicide, there is no way to stop them. Even if someone saw him go over the side and managed to lower a boat immediately, no one could have forced him into the boat if he choose to stay in the water. I just thank God that no one else was hurt by his actions.

Sad situation - May 17, 2010 10:46 AM

I know for a fact that many on the cruise were disappointed that RCI didn’t provide a small reimbursement for the delay because I spoke to them personally. Thousands of passengers lost time, money, and experienced emotional costs as a result of this incident. Many of these individuals are likely holding back because they are scared of being chastised online or seen as insensitive to the situation.

Let me explain my personal situation to provide more context. I flew to New York early to visit the city and booked lodging for two nights. Due to the late arrival of the ship, I was trapped in New York without lodging for approximately 10 hours (1pm-11pm). I also had to pay additional transportation and food costs due to the delay. All I’m saying is that it would have been nice to receive some, small token from RCI to acknowledge our troubles. For instance, a $25 Seapass credit or free drink would have been more than enough. This is what is expected from any hotel or luxury establishment. I have received reimbursements from hotels in the past and RCI has previously given compensation under similar circumstances. In this situation, RCI chose not to offer any compensation or apologize for the turmoil this incident caused. Some small reimbursement would have been nice to not only recognize how much this man’s apparent suicide meant to the company and show that they are willing to do what it takes to make sure it doesn’t happen again. Also, it would have shown the passengers, who incurred losses, that RCI wants them to continue cruising with them.

In addition to the delay, we had many other problems on the ship like stateroom issues, low food quality, Portofino reservation problems, excursion issues, etc. All of these incidents as a whole led to my decision not to cruise with RCI again. This was my 8th cruise and I have never complained previously.

Despite the monetary, temporal, and emotional loss that I endured from this incident, I did not allow this single incident to ruin the cruise. I greatly enjoyed Bermuda, the spa, and our stateroom attendant was fantastic.

Lastly, if anyone read my first post, it is clear that I have compassion and sadness regarding this very sad situation. My sympathies go out to the family and crew members who were surely hurt by this incident. However, I highly resent the individuals on this thread telling me how I should feel about the situation and condemning me for mentioning reimbursement. Rather than being driven by emotion, I am focusing on the facts: there was a loss incurred and reimbursement was expected. Many who feel the same way are holding back because they don’t want to be viewed as insensitive. I don’t believe it’s insensitive to discuss reimbursement for an incurred loss.

Mrs.Burbuda - May 25, 2010 8:51 AM

My husbnad and I were on the oasis and we heard that someone has fell or jumped over board, the code 3 is a common code we hear all the time in the hospital where I work. I am a dr. and When we hear this, its alarming to others more so than to us. We see alot of suicides and alot of people leave this planet fast but for someone to call people names on here is wrong.

No one ever talked about it on the oasis, i hope no one did jump

Tom - May 25, 2010 12:18 PM

I recently returned from a RCCL cruise and I have to admit that the lure of jumping is there.
I just learned that some of the employees earn tips only. I have also cruised on Holland America Lines and they get everyone to give automatic baseline tips which are divided among the staff. You may also tip individuals extra you want. A policy like this may help RCCL with employee satisfaction.

Ted Cummings - May 25, 2010 2:26 PM

I, too was aboard when the incident occurred. I am ex-Navy, and I can assure those that do not know, everything that COULD have been done-once it was CERTAIN that the staffer was not still aboard-WAS done. The one thought that still nags me was the announcement that videotape had shown him "lowering himself" off the ship. IMPOSSIBLE! There was no device for lowering...the staffer made a deliberate act to jump overboard. In my (knowledgeable)opinion, this lost soul was deceased when he hit the water. The height-above-waterline from which he jumped would assure this. Maritime protocol insists certain steps be taken, and they were. One of the things that must follow is a certain amount of time to be spent searching, prior to our American Coast Guard taking over the search/rescue effort. This was done, and you will not hear me complain about it, as it is true for a soul being "over the side" NO MATTER WHAT THE REASON. There is NO chance that this lad survived, yet every resource was brought to bear on WHERE he entered the water. Tapes were re-wound, and the timing correlated to the ships position, tidal charts, and sea-states, and tides were consulted all to help with the search. And while I extend condolences to his friends and family, I certainly do not shed my tears for a young man that deliberately took such a way out. I reserve them for people that fight through their adversities, only to have fate take them regardless.

catmandoo - May 27, 2010 11:18 AM

DAVID...Its just selfish people like you ...as to why the world is screwed up. Its all about DAVID...DAVID thinks he's entitled...poor David he never got compensated.
You have no idea who this person was, you have no idea what EVEN HAPPENED TO HIM. If your wife or family member had gone overboard would you have felt the same way ...Oh no you would have gone balistic if the captain of the ship said, "Oh my, Im sorry David but we are on a schedule and we can't turn back to find your wife." Now doesn't that sound stupid?
POOR DAVID....I hope you don't get a dime back! There is something wrong with you when all you can worry about is the money you lost and the time you lost and when you can't have compassion for people. Your a very sad excuse for a man...

jwk - May 28, 2010 1:18 PM

catmandoo, thank you for saying that.

I've worked in the cruise industry for 6 years and it's people like that who just make me sick. There is no compassion, and everyone is looking for freebies and hand me outs.

It's not like the ship was swimming with Norovirus, I definitely know how that is because I was just recently on the Celebrity Mercury during the 1 month epidemic in March (Wash your hands!!). This is about a man named Dillon Roache, not your petty money.

The company did what any one would and searched for the crew member. That man's life had more value than just missing the port of St. Thomas. It's unfortunate that people are willing to take advantage of such a serious and sad situation. It makes me sick, and extremely sad to see how people can be.

I know what was done on the ship as I have many close friends on that ship right now who are crew members. It's so easy to bash up on Cruise Lines, why not have some compassion for the situation.

guest - May 28, 2010 10:50 PM

I was also a guest on the ship during this incident. Our assistant waiter was his roommate and told our group a lot about him as we had become close. There were issues, which I wont air here, but they did not involve a failed relationship. It was our waiter who had to call his family; we felt for him that next day, but the look in his eyes during dinner was just so sad. They also were both from the same island as well as being roommates.
I think RC did a fairly good job handling the situation itself, but it did not do as great a job with the guests after. You could not get connection trying to call from your room to either somewhere on the ship or to land. Lines for the guest relations were outrageous; there should have been stands set up elsewhere on the ship in order to give guests more options of where to go. I feel for him, but I agree that it was a selfish act to do. With the blocking of the phone lines, our group of 21 had trouble getting in contact with our travel agent and bus company to inform them of time changes. Waiting areas were not the most convenient, as many were stuck in the freezing cold, uncovered ice rink. I do commend them for the way they delt with the situation and kept us informed, but the aftermath could have been handled much smoother.
Also, does anyone know why the ship itself had to search for so long? We understood legally they would have to, but why was it not up to the coast guard before 7 am? Out of all the things that frustrated us, it was knowing there were capable people who could have been searching, but instead we were delayed looking. This would have made things more convenient for both the guests on board as well as the ones waiting to board.

crew member - May 29, 2010 2:22 PM

i am a RCI crew member and there are many things behind the scenes that you as a guest don't know that can make one of us take terrible decisions, like guests treating us as servants, making us run in the dinning room because the potato didn't have the right shape or after a week drinking for free those great martinis in the diamond lounge you just don't show up because you know you have to tip the bartender, or simply make a complaint for any reason just to get something for free.
And it's true housekeeping, bar and dinning room staff salaries are gratuity based, we just get TIPS from you the company only pays us 50 US a month, and we have to pay expensive flight tickets to come back to work

Kelly - June 1, 2010 12:40 PM

I too was a passenger abpard the Oasis on 5/22 and I think it is ridiculous that anyone can make any comments about someone who takes their own life, regardless of why they did it, it is not fair to make any accusations because if it was your family member trust me you wouldn't have anything to say. You would want them to take all the same measures they did. My condolensces go out to the family and his friends for this tragedy. But again don't pass judgement or comments about someone or somehting you know nothing about.

Tears for Buddaru - June 20, 2010 1:59 AM

To the writer "Sad situation - May 13, 2010 1:31 PM" Its guests like yourself that break my heart... I can't believe taht you would think about compensation after such a "Sad Situation" you are sick!!!!! Royal Caribbean truly don't treat their employees well most times, the money and time you lost means nothing to the employees because we don't get any of it. we work every single god darn day for our entire contracts.. you may get 2 or 3 days off in 6 months if you have a nice manager.

tragedy - June 28, 2010 2:30 PM

My family and I were on the ship when this tragedy happened. All I can say is that I am so sad to read how heartless many of you are. My heart aches for the young man who didn't receive the help he needed so that this could have been prevented. My heart aches for his family who must be in such pain, and I am so sad for our assistant waiter who was Mr. Buddaru's friend and roommate. We saw our assistant waiter, a delightful and happy young man...change overnight to a young pain filled with pain over the loss of his friend. These men and women who work for the cruise industry work SO HARD day after day to provide a wonderful vacation at an unbelievable price. And, not only do some of these selfish comments make me sick, but when I hear people complaining on the cruises (not just this one), and always about the pettiest things, it just makes me so angry. Their jobs are difficult enough without insensitive and demanding passengers. How lucky you are to take such a special vacation...how can people complain about the smallest things? I feel sorry for you that life is so difficult (this is sarcasm for those of you who just don't get it).
To the Royal Caribbean family, I am very sorry for your loss. I am also sorry that you don't treat your staff better. And, please make the tipping mandatory. I know that staff have a choice...they don't have to take these jobs. But, they can earn good money so that they can provide for their families back home. Better money in most cases than they can earn in their own country.
To anyone who works on a cruise line who is reading this, I hope that the difficult passengers you encounter are very small compared to the ones who appreciate your hard work, dedication, and kindness.

Ana - July 29, 2010 1:11 PM

Ive work on a cruise ship before with Royal Caribbean and I have many things to say ( good and bad), but I can guarantee everyone that in this type of cases they do their best. To the unhappy employers: just do it like me, quit! dont came here complaining about money, working hours etc.., you choose to work there, nobody force you, I know its hard to think like me when you have a whole family to support but life is made of choices and you choose. To the unhappy passengers, its Royal Caribbean fault to create monsters like you, when a big company like this assume that they can and they will please everyone, they forgot about the lack of humanbeing in some of the costumers. To the guest like David I feel nothing but sorry of you and the people around you, dont think youre alone here there are many garbage like you cruising excepting to suck employers and company on your dream vacation. To Vicky and his family, all my heart goes with you, wish you can find I little peace wherever you are

a friend - September 5, 2010 2:39 PM

jeez david you think he was selfish? did you even read over what you wrote?! for christ sake sure it wasn't the vacation you expected but sh*t happens! suck it up! a person died and all you care about is your precious vacation? you need to get a heart.

Rajiv - September 6, 2010 3:14 PM

I was a closed friend to Vicky as we worked on EX for almost 2 yrs. All I can say that, he was a very nice guy and humble person. Still can't believe that he jumped overboard. Its just today I learnt through a friend about this incident happened.
I still remember the day he came to receive me at the airport and the day I met him and his brother,few days before he was supposed to join EX in Jan 2010.Can't believe ur gone!

To Vicky and his family, all my heart goes with you.

RevTrip7 - December 13, 2010 2:20 PM

I'd like to respond to David's post on May 8, 2010 at 8:58 AM regarding the death of this youngster.

Sir, you are the scum of this earth and I'm extremely embarrassed that I share this planet with you.

You speak of this youngsters selfishness, when selfishness is the only trait of your character your post portrays. You may not have enjoyed the inconvenience this mans death has had on your cruise, but that is an issue you have with him and will have to save it for when the two of you meet in the afterlife. You obviously have not considered who else might be reading it and I can't imagine how his family and friends would emotionally respond to your post.

I would imagine that you've been starved of attention as a child as it would seem that "everything is always about you." And how dare you even consider suggesting compensation and that your feelings might change towards the situation if you received it? Looking for handouts in a time like that? You're a different kind of scum.

And "He blew his mind out in a car
He didn’t notice that the lights had changed" was quite literal you idiot. He ran a red light. If you were my father or brother, I'd be ashamed that you wrote something like that for the world to see and did so in my name.

Shelly - December 26, 2010 8:02 PM

I can't believe people still read this blog and comment so long after the incident, but I think David's comments are so selfish that people feel compelled to tell him what an ass he really is. After reading this again, it infuriates me all over again that there are people in this world that think money will make them feel better, even at the expense of someone's death. On the other hand, it is heartwarming to see so many people defend the young man, his family, and how they may be dealing with this tragedy. They obviously have a clear view of what life is about!!!

simo - May 5, 2011 8:27 AM

I worked on The Explorer six years,I finished with the company 2 years ago......it is nice working there if you don't have a family back home......David!you don't know what is going on on the ship,all the trainings,a hard life.If You are e weak person,you are done.Ohhhhhh,poor David,did you enjoy your vacation?Maybe he jumped because of you,did you TIP your waiter?
All you know to do is to complain, all the ships are full with guests like you,you have to know that in a 7 months contract,a waiter has no day off,serving you....I could tell you a lot of things,in 10 years I got a lot of experience at sea with RCCL.....

Toniann - February 29, 2012 3:19 PM

At the risk of my post being irrelvant and out dated I just want to say that I have read each and every comment pertaining to this blog and it warmed my heart that so many people expressed their condolences to Vicky and his family. I am certain that it is just as hard today as it was when it first happened. May God be with the family each and everyday and may Vicky be resting soundly in Heaven. As far as David is concerned, I hope it eats you to the core to comprehend the selfishness and disgusting comments you said on here. Although in retrospect someone who could have the balls to write it in the 1st place is heartless and without a soul in my opinion. We should be praying for YOU DAVID as it appears you are in need of some serious help. How dare you belittle a mans life because you didnt have the perfect vacation. Did it ever occur to you how dark of a place Vicky must have had to be in to take his own life or how the family has had to adjust to life without their loved one in it. Did that ever occur to you? You are spineless and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Once again, God bless the family of this man and may he rest in peace knowing he was loved and appreciated.