Reason No. 7 Not to Cruise: Cruise Lines Exploit Foreign Crew Members, Like You'd Never Believe

Cruise Critic ran an article a couple of weeks ago about the Top 10 Reasons To Cruise.  I responded with my article "Top Ten Reasons Not To Cruise."  I previously addressed the first six  reasons not to cruise, which are at the bottom of this article.*

The purpose of this series is not to convince you not to cruise, but to educate consumers regarding the dangers inherent in and the consequences of cruising.  I'm not your big brother, trust me.  It you want to cruise, that's entirely your business and none of mine.   But at least educate yourself before you take your family on a vacation you may regret.

St. Vincent - Royal Caribbean - Exploitation - Crew MemberThe 7th reason not to cruise may not leave much of an impression on most of my American readers because it involves "foreign crew members" who most passengers will never meet.

Our firm and clients have been featured over a hundred times on every major television station, cable news network, radio, newspaper and magazine in the U.S. and abroad.  But the news sources are interested almost exclusively in crimes or injuries involving U.S. passengers.  An injured or victimized crew member from Jamaica, India, or Nicaragua is usually of no interest to U.S. reporters.

The exception was several years ago when The Miami New Times ran a story "Screwed If By Sea - Cruise Lines Throw Workers Overboard When It Comes to Providing Urgent Medical Care."

The article focused on one of our crew member clients from the little island of St. Vincent who, after suffering second and third degree burns on a Royal Caribbean cruise ship sailing to Alaska - was sent by Royal Caribbean on a journey from Alaska to Los Angeles to Miami to Barbados to St. Vincent - as part of a plan by the cruise line Royal Caribbean to abandon him in a third world country with no medical treatment.

Take a moment and read the article.

You will smell the crew member's rotting flesh half way through the article.

Is "evil," or "diabolical," or "criminal" too strong of a word for this degree of corporate malfeasance?  I suppose it depends if it involved you - or a "foreign" crew member.

The exploitation of crew members, particularly "utility cleaners" who often work 360 hours a month for around $540 a month, continues.  Last year we addressed the problem in an articles entitled:

"Titanic Dreams" - Royal Caribbean Wins "Worst Cruise Line in the World" Award; and

Cruise Ship Medical Care - Royal Caribbean Gives Their Crew Members the Royal Shaft.

There are few Americans who would cruise if they knew how poorly the cruise lines treat their crew members.  The absolute worst cruise lines which abuse their crew members are Royal Caribbean and Princess Cruises - the only winners of Cruise Law News' popular "Worst Cruise Line In The World Award."

Read the first six reasons not to cruise and then add this article into the mix.  Are you really going to cruise with your family on one of these foreign-flagged cruise ships which exploit the souls of the hard working men and women from Jamaica, India, Nicaragua and St. Vincent?

Tomorrow - Reason No. 8 Not To Cruise: Blackwater, Blackwater, Blackwater

Credits:   Jim Walker's Cruise Law Flickr Page

*Cruise Law News' Last  6 Reasons Not To Cruise

No. 1: Cruise Lines Are A Perfect Place To Sexually Abuse Children

No. 2: Cruise Ships Are A Perfect Place to Commit A Crime, And Get Away With It!

No. 3: Carnival, Royal Caribbean And NCL Are Corporate Felons

No. 4: If You Are A Victim On A Cruise Ship, The Cruise Line Will Treat You Like A Criminal

No. 5: If You Are Retired Or A Child, The Cruise Line Considers Your Life Worthless

No. 6: If The Ship Doctor Kills You, Too Bad

Comments (7) Read through and enter the discussion with the form at the end
Greg - April 27, 2010 11:15 AM

Now under Admiralty Law, ships are required to provide Maintenance and Cure for workers. How does this not qualify under that?

Mariana - May 5, 2010 2:47 PM

Dear Sir Walker,

That's true,the cruise lines exploit some crew like
unbelieve and some back home injured and ignored.

I notice from crew menbers of rcl in my last cruise.

kaitlyn - June 27, 2010 7:30 PM

I used to work for Carnival. If you are a woman, the sexual harassment is constant. From both guests and crew. If an officer touches you or demands sex from you nothing will happen to him and no one wants to hear it. I was followed back to my cabin many times.

On the flip side, prostitution is a cottage industry among the crew at Carnival. For both guests and crew.

Dennis - November 10, 2010 2:21 PM

Incredible! I had fears about the basic human rights being protected for these crew members. It is a sad commentary on our world to see industry exploit people in such a manner. So, here is my question:

Is there a cruise line out there who treats their crew members with dignity and respect? I have only been on two cruises (both with Holland) but I am seriously considering ending such trips unless there is assurance the cruise line is acting responsibly.

Thanks

Lee - January 23, 2012 6:50 PM

I use to work on Carnival and RCCL. When I saw the sinking of Costa, I can only say that this "accident" happens when the people at the top put profits well, well, well ahead of peoples safety. Some people think the Captain steers the boat, but that's laughable. The "driver" is a poor Filipino who ears $20 a WEEK. Yes, less than $3 a day. They are the lowest paid members on the who don't get tips. People who get tips, are paid about the same, but have to pay for their flights, which will always cost more than what their entire salary will be. Some people say, "well no one forced the crew members to work there"; This maybe true, but what is also true is the misleading stories that the cruise lines sell future employees about life on board. Once your on the boat, it's too late.
Regarding life as a seaman, guests you to ask us, do you eat our leftovers. As gross as this sounds our response was always, "we wish!"

Lee - January 23, 2012 6:50 PM

martin - May 20, 2013 7:46 AM

sorry for mi bad english, im work for RCL for 3 yers.... all you sey is true,,, if samebody have questions. please send me mail,I am happy to answer whit true.... thanks
kabesa2004@hotmail.com