NCL CEO Del Rio on the Norwegian Breakaway Bomb Cyclone Fiasco: "Weather Can Be Unpredictable . . . (It's) All Good"

NCL Holdings president and CEO Frank Dek Rio rang the bell this morning at the New York Stock Exchange in celebration of the five year anniversary of NCL's listing. Del Rio was later interviewed by CNBC when he was asked about cyclone Grayson, often called the "bomb cyclone" storm, which terrorized the passengers aboard the Norwegian Breakaway as it sailed into the storm while heading back to New York last week.

Smiling, CEO Del Rio stated this morning (video link here) to a national television audience:

NCL Cruise CEO Frank Del Rio   . . . weather can be unpredictable . . . and that's what happened this weekend . . . the great news is our ship is back in the Caribbean carrying 4,000 happy cruisers . . . so . . . all good.

Meterologists all agree that the storm was perfectly forecasted well in advance. Many of the traumatized passengers on the Breakaway felt that NCL's priority was to get back to port in New York to pick up new passengers so NCL would not lose any money. (You can read about NCL recklessly sailing into the storm in this article by Mashable).

Del Rio's insensitive, flippant comments are typical for this greedy cruise CEO, who made $31,900,000 in 2015 alone.  Last year, he told the audience at last year's Seatrade Global conference that he loved fewer regulations under President Trump because "they make us money." In 2005, he defended NCL's increase in gratuities by saying "every dollar increase in yield translates to approximately $15 million to the bottom line." And in 2005 at the Miami Cruise Shipping trade show, he told the audience that “Libya, Syria, Egypt, and Lebanon could be more lucrative than Cuba.” (I couldn’t help tweeting at the time “have you heard of ISIS?”) The next day, fanatics targeted cruise-ship passengers who sailed into the Capital of Tunisa, slaughtering and injuring 38 passengers.

I posted Del Rio's interview on our Cruise Law News Facebook page, and quickly received the following comments:

• Weather in the 21st Century is not ALL that "unpredictable." Responsible Officers have to get up to date conditions and forecasts and make responsible decisions based upon that information. That "responsible decision " would NOT have been to sail through the conditions the Master took that ship through. "Responsible Corporate Management would not have embarked passengers or planned port calls with passengers embarked,for Mid Winter cruises from Northern latitude Atlantic ports such as New York in this season. Greed can be the ONLY reason for such actions.
  • Clearly, he is totally out of touch and lying through his teeth. The weather had been predicted days prior.
  • Admit nothing deny everything. What a putz.
  • Fat Cat personified.
  • That ship should have cancelled the cruise with the advance weather report they had.

Have a comment? Please leave one below or join the discussion on our Facebook page.

Photos/Videos: CNBC.

Opening Bell, January 11, 2018 from CNBC.

Comments (8) Read through and enter the discussion with the form at the end
George Walchusky - January 12, 2018 2:00 AM

While sailing into the storm, my family and myself were at the Cirque Dreams show. A young female acrobat fell from approximately 10 feet to the floor landing on her side. This happened right in front of us ... so .......... all good! DelRio

Sue goble - January 13, 2018 11:36 PM

My family and were on this cruise. We were terrified by what was happening to the ship. We feel the reason we had to endure cruising through the extreme weather was all to get back to New York to pick up the next bunch of passengers.

Sue goble - January 13, 2018 11:36 PM

Sue goble - January 13, 2018 11:37 PM

Sue goble - January 13, 2018 11:38 PM

Deborah Meadows - January 14, 2018 12:26 AM

I've read comments of some of those so called 'happy' passengers who aren't so happy because of things being closed due to damage from that storm! So.... all good?!?

Russ semeran - January 14, 2018 7:13 AM

I was in that cruise. And also invited my friend with family from overseas
NEVER again with NCL.
Arrogance and disrespect of CEO is hard to comprehend.
I wrote him letters about horrible service on the Ship and dangerous route he took with bringing us to the cyclone.
Never got reply. This cruse also made my meniscus injury worse as I literally rolled off he bed at night because Ship was going on The angle ( one of stabilization devices failed as crew member mentioned )
Desimbarkation was a joke ( I had done it smoothly on 15+ other cruises )
They had no respect for people with disabilities. When I told SUOERVISOR that I am very glad to leave this shop she said ‘good’
Good idea for DOT to start investigation.

Karen McIntyre - January 14, 2018 10:37 AM

I was on the Breakaway with 35 other people. It was the most terrifying wxperience I have ever been thru. It still haunts me every night with nighmares of what I went thru.
All of the weather channels predicted this storm..why did Norwegian risk all of the lives of its passengers and crew to travel thru this horrific storm. It is such a lie that the weather changed at the last minute. The Captain decided to try and beat the storm to get back to New York early for its next sailing.
How did that ship go out on Saturday with so many things broken on it ? He also put those passengers at risk.
Is money more important than lives. I sure hope the CEO and the Captain can live with themselves.
Norwegian do the right thing and give a full refund and an apology to all that were aboard that nightmare cruise from hell.