Girl Dies After Falling on Carnival Glory

Carnival GloryA 8 year-old girl died Saturday morning after falling from a deck in an interior atrium to a lower deck on the Carnival Glory

A representative of Miami Fire-Rescue Department said the child fell "about two stories" inside the Carnival cruise ship around 8:15 a.m. after the ship had returned from a cruise in the Caribbean and Mexico and had docked at the port of Miami. Photos taken after the accident posted online show the atrium lobby with railings and glass panels around the interior decks.

A passenger (a retired emergency medical technician) reportedly performed CPR on the girl, until the ship doctor arrived.  Fire-Rescue paramedics then transported her to Jackson Memorial Hospital's Ryder Trauma Center in "extremely critical condition."

A Miami-Dade police detective later reported the child had died. Police indicated that they would work with the cruise line "to determine the details surrounding this incident," according to Local News 10 in Miami.

This is not the first time that a child was fallen from an upper deck on a cruise ship. Six weeks ago, a 3-year-old girl fell from the balcony of the Carnival Breeze which was heading back to Galveston, Texas. The child survived the fall.  Several years ago, a one-year-old child crawled through an 12th floor railing and fell to the pool deck below on the Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas

Have a comment? Please leave one below or join the discussion on our Facebook page.

October 17, 2017 Update:

Miami Herald: Girl, 8, got on ‘tippy toes’ to peer over cruise ship railing, then fell to her death.

Photo credit: Mark Dennis CC BY-SA 2.0, commons / wikimedia.; video credit: Local News 10 Miami.

Comments (8) Read through and enter the discussion with the form at the end
Owen - October 15, 2017 11:42 AM

One Question.Where were The Parents???...........this is truly their fault

Gordon Kirkwood - October 15, 2017 3:32 PM

Sad because that ship visit us here in Belize last week.

leslie - October 16, 2017 8:47 AM

"The child apparently went over the rails while the family was in the process of using the atrium elevator to disembark from the ship."

Donna - October 16, 2017 1:40 PM

This is for sure a sad way to end a cruise but why were the parents not watching the child?

moni - October 17, 2017 11:52 PM

So easy to say this. Parents can't watch children every second. I used to be very judgemental until I became a parent and learned just how quickly children can slip out of site especially when handling multiple children. I'm sure they were watching her. Perhaps they turned away for a few moments. That's all it takes. Even an adult could loose their balance and fall. Is their adequate railing to prevent this? The parents will have the rest of their lives to regret and blame themselves.

jesse laprade - October 19, 2017 1:19 PM

This is terrible!

Lisa - October 19, 2017 8:22 PM

The parents have now "lawyered up", the uncle stating on the news that they "want justice" for their child. Apparently, according to several news stories, the parents were not with her- they were in an elevator at the time. (?!)
That's just what I saw on the news- I don't even know how to mentally process how they could take that position. I would be out of my mind with grief- not thinking about wanting a lawyer to "get justice".
I will never understand this thought process as long as I live...

Bob Marchant - October 24, 2017 8:09 PM

August of this year I travelled on the Glory with my family. On 2 occasions objects were tossed/thrown from the upper floors of the Atrium, once nearly hitting my granddaughter by approximately 3 feet. We reported the first instance to customer services, their only concern was to clean up the “mess”. When I voiced my displeasure with there response (no concern for the safety of their guest ) I received a call from the security office. When I suggested a need to address the safety issues around the Atrium and the need to follow up on such incidents,I was told that they knew what had to be done. The second incident took place the following day,again with a no concern attitude on the part of the crew. I notified the cruise line regarding my concerns,and never received a response.
I am a retired NYC Police Commander and have dealt with public safety issues. The crews response was unprofessional and the corporation’s non response demonstrates their lack of concern for their passengers. Secureing the upper levels of the Atrium may have prevented a death.