Cruise Nightmare: Disney Crew Member Arrested on Charges of Molesting Child on Disney Dream

Ahmed Sofyan - Disney Cruise MolestationNews sources in Florida are reporting that the Port Canaveral Police Department arrested a 36 year old Disney crew member today on charges of molesting a 13 year old girl on the Disney Dream cruise ship.

Florida Today states that "the Port Canaveral Police Department has arrested a Disney Cruise Line crew member today for alleged lewd or lascivious molestation of a minor."

WKMG Orlando, which has been a leader in covering cruise ship crimes, identifies the Disney crew member accused of molesting the 13-year-old girl as Ahmed Sofyan, age 36, of Jakarta, Indonesia.

He was charged with two counts of lewd or lascivious molestation and one count of false imprisonment.

The alleged incident occurred aboard the Disney Dream ship while it was docked in Port Canaveral this morning.

The Port Canaveral Police Department says that at approximately 8:12 AM, Canaveral Port Authority Police responded to the request of Disney Cruise Lines regarding a lewd or lascivious molestation that occurred aboard the Disney Dream cruise ship while docked at terminal 8 in Port Canaveral. Upon conclusion of the investigation, crew member Ahmed Sofyan (DOB: 07/22/77) of Jakarta, Indonesia, was charged with two counts of lewd or lascivious molestation and one count of false imprisonment. The victim was a 13-year-old female not known to the suspect.

Last year Disney refused to timely report a similar incident when a 33 year old Disney waiter molested an 11 year old girl on the Disney Dream. Although the incident occurred while the cruise ship was in port in Port Canaveral, Disney sailed the cruise ship to the Bahamas in what appeared to be an attempt to aid the crew member in escaping justice.  The Bahamas, as expected, refused to arrest the molester and Disney then flew the crew member back to his home country, India. WKMG covered the disturbing story. You can see photos of the incident here and read our account of the crime here.

Indonesian crew members have received bad press lately.  In February an Indonesian crew member on a HAL cruise ship was arrested in a horrific case where he tried to kill and throw a passenger overboard from the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Sexual assaults against children is an issue we have discussed many times on this blog.  In 2010, we reported on a situation - Passenger Indicted for Sexual Abuse of 13 Year Old Girl on Disney Wonder Cruise Ship

A news report from WKMG on the latest Disney Cruises child molestation case is below:

Have a thought about this case?  Please leave a comment below or join the discussion on our Facebook page.

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

Comments (10) Read through and enter the discussion with the form at the end
Barista Uno - April 10, 2014 11:05 PM

At the very least, this reflects a flawed crew hiring system. Shouldn't they be firing their HR managers and changing crewing agents?

Randy H - April 10, 2014 11:25 PM

Very concerning as we were on the Dream and came back to Port Canaveral this morning! My 13 year old daughter was with us and we are now just hearing of this situation that occurred during our cruise. Very disturbing.

Prince Lenord - April 11, 2014 6:56 AM

This is the second such incident as come to light with Disney Cruise Lines (Disney Dream)I like Mr. Karl's Statement we've no tolerance whatsoever for the behavior alleged in this incident. we are sorry that anything of this nature could have occurred on one of our ships !!! But this is very sad & disturbing on Disney Image. At the very least, This reflects a flawed/Poor crew hiring system. Mr. Karl you Should start firing your HR managers for not bringing awareness on training and developing of the crew on sexual predators class so that it can at-least help to some extent to prevent these incidents (The Leaders on aboard its self are the Sexual Predators on their own subordinates crew members) what do you expect from them ? and changing crewing agents? is a must...

Reene - April 11, 2014 11:04 AM

Whether it be a cruise ship or any land based operation, including camps, schools,etc. Where there are children is where a pedophile is going to want to be. Thorough checks are good, but no guarantee of safety because they might never have been caught before. We as parents have to keep our children in our sights at all times. I feel sad for the little girl and her family, but we live in a sick society and should never have a false sense of security, no matter where we are.

Thomas - April 11, 2014 12:52 PM

We were on that cruise. Our first and last Disney Cruise. For all that money and the "Disney" brand you expect a little...elegance? The servers and stewards were like they took the creepiest rejects off the other cruise lines and hired them on to save money. Our cabin had trash in it when we got there and the box of bath soap had caked in hair. We gave up complaining. Crew on the pool deck appeared to be loitering. One thing you can say about Disney parks...you never feel gawked at. Disney needs to completely gut its HR on these boats and start all over again. It's very obvious they're taking liberties because it's "Disney." I hope that family ends up owning the boat.

tinikini - April 12, 2014 3:13 PM

Sadly, this has been going on for years. At 12 I was on the MS Boheme in 1976 and had a crew member following me around. At 11, I was totally unaware he was stalking me, but my father was very aware that it was going on. While my father let me move freely around the ship, and I thought I was real cool being on my own, little did I know that my father was following me the whole time.

I truly believe bad things could have happened to me had my father not been so aware and so overprotective. Never leave your children unattended, no matter where you are. There are freaks everywhere.

Le - April 12, 2014 8:59 PM

when I saw the infomercials re Disney's cruises I thought this is a set up just asking for incidents of this type- Disney cruises EMPHASIZE that parents can party on one side of the ship while the kids are all in the kids clubs--far far away. This is their idea of a FAMILY vacation- everybody going their own way? Yikes.
Even adults get the 'what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" mentality that anything goes on a cruise...so I would never let my kids wander away for hours doing WHATEVER.

C Park - April 13, 2014 12:52 PM

As a former shipboard DCL manager (and not representing the company in any way here) I think your statement regarding Disney attempting to aid a crew member in eluding justice is unsubstantiated, irresponsible and wholly uninformed about how the shipboard process works. There is no perfect system and yes statistically when you have 4000+ pax and crew combined, something is going to happen at sometime but to suggest that any of these well known cruise lines are going to jeopardize the public by abetting a criminal act is both ignorant and untrue. My friends and colleagues in the industry are hardworking and willing to put their lives on the line to keep the sailing public safe. Go chase another ambulance.

Jim Walker - April 13, 2014 3:21 PM

Ms. Park.

Disney's conduct in last year's child molestation case was absolutely disgraceful. The Disney waiter molested the child in a U.S. port. Her grandmother timely reported the crime to DCL security while the ship was in U.S. waters at the port. Disney refused to report the crime timely to the port police, the sheriff's office, or the FBI. It then sailed its criminal employee and the crime scene to the Bahamas and flew the pervert home to India.

You sound like the type of DCL managers involved in that crime's cover up.

Have fun in Dubai.

Lukishi Brown - April 29, 2014 9:44 AM

C Park said, when you put 4000 pax and crew together something is bound to happen. That is a sad statement for the cruise industry and one that will not bode well for the cruise companies, not to mention that its a insindiary remark. If 4000 + people can't exist on a ship together without incident than you know more than you're saying and cruise companies are are not reporting crimes on their ships. Withour Mr. Walker's diligent reporting people would never know the crimes committed on board.