Coast Guard Medevacs Sick Passenger From Carnival Paradise

Carnival Paradise MedevacThe U.S. Coast Guard reports that it medevaced a 66-year-old passenger from a Carnival cruise ship yesterday when the ship was approximately 180 miles southwest of Marco Island, Florida.

The Carnival Paradise contacted the Coast Guard around 2:00 PM yesterday regarding a male passenger who was suffering from an undisclosed medical illness while the cruise ship was sailing to Tampa.

A MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter was dispatched from the Coast Guard's station in Clearwater.

FOX News reports that when the Coast Guard helicopter crew arrived at the cruise ship, the aircrew lowered their rescue swimmer, hoisted the ill cruise passenger and transported him to Tampa General Hospital for medical care.

Photo Credit: FOX 4

Comments (8) Read through and enter the discussion with the form at the end
Passenger - February 27, 2014 8:43 PM

It took medics and crew way WAY too long to respond. Disorganized, no rush, no evac station on deck for quicker response. Horrible and extremely sad. I hope this family sues them!

Sam - March 2, 2014 12:27 PM

I disagree they did a awessome job if it wasn't for the wind blowing so they didn't have to reposition

John - March 2, 2014 5:17 PM

The crew did a fantastic job and did all they could to revive this man!

Linda - March 3, 2014 6:20 PM

The Cruise lines did ALL they could do... they got help there quick an was ready as soon as the HELP arrived...

AWESOME for the crew members that helped GOD will only take you when its your time...

Shawn - March 7, 2014 9:47 PM

I was told that passengers revived him the first time. The crew were very slow to respond. I was told from my family members that were on the ship with him. He was my father-in-law.

Gary - March 20, 2014 12:40 PM

I was five feet from were he collapsed! The crew did nothing for the man. It was the passengers that preformed CPR while they crew watched. One of my friends helped to perform CPR! It took the crew forever to get the defibrulater to them. There medical team took almost 30 minutes to get there and the doctor was seen by another member of our group just walking up. I felt sorry for the family and another of our group gave them water as they watched nothing being done. The son was yelling for help!

Gary - March 20, 2014 12:50 PM

Shawn, you are so correct. Hard to believe that Linda, Sam or John were even there if they thought the crew did a great job! Makes you wonder if they don't work for carnival! My group of 16 were all sitting right in front of were he fell. As I said before, one of my group even preformed CPR on him! I called Carnival when we got back and spoke to someone in customer service and they were going to pass it on to operations. I asked for a return call and still have not heard anything.

Linda - April 27, 2014 12:20 PM

My son and I became sick April 21 2014 on the carnival Paradise. Severe flu symptoms respiratory did anyone else get ill on this cruise? Had to go to my physician and get anabiotics.