A Comment from a Former Crew Member: "So Many Injustices"

Cruise Law News from time to time will feature a comment to our articles by one of our readers.

Comments by crew members are often poignant. The cruise industry's current state of affairs places tremendous pressure on ship employees from Carnival, Royal Caribbean and other cruise lines. Hours are longer notwithstanding the lofty goals of the MLC 2006, pay is lower, cruise lines are stealing tips intended for the crew, and recently Carnival Cruise Lines terminated the crew's retirement benefits claiming that the MLC forced it to do so.

Cruise Ship Working ConditionsHere's a portion of a comment by a former crew member we received today, expressing some of the angst felt by cruise ship employees:

"You have no idea what is daily "MORAL HARASSMENT"!

During some meetings regarding how afraid the ship's managers and "the office" were . . . of USPH. The F&B supervisors used to call us "THALIBAN", just because we are from that side of the planet ... many times we were called like that.

Most of you have no idea how hard it is to wash 800 plates, clean floors, chemical machines without a single glove in a 14 hours shift . . .

Yes, you may say ... we signed for that. No, we signed for what a smiling recruiting agent showed us how life onboard would be like. And we own money to them.

I left Carnival Cruise Lines and continued my studies. I am free now.

P.S. I met all kind of guest too. The wonderful ones and their families are my good friends now. Many crewmenbers too. But the bad stuff ... it probably flows from the Miami office to the ships ... they don't care.

So many injustices."

Watch Video: Sweatships - Working Conditions on Cruise Ships

Comments (6) Read through and enter the discussion with the form at the end
Nanette M - October 24, 2013 8:48 AM

As one insightful crew member put it on our final cruise, "we toil under the invisible whip". I will never forget those words.

Mouse - October 24, 2013 9:40 AM

It's not only in carnival or royal it's everywhere I'm asking my self why they don't speak about Disney why they say nothing about the girl what she disappear and they don't know ???? Why ?? Maybe because Disney pay a lot of money

krishna - October 24, 2013 10:59 AM

yes this is true that onboard its like a helll

superiors comes and shouts like the juniors are dogs

the common sentence said by them is WE WILL SEND BAD EVALUATION THEN YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO JOIN CRUISES AGAIN........

Danielle - October 31, 2013 12:35 PM

Of course there are always going to be comments made that "you signed up for the gig, so you put yourself in that position". However, in other jobs where you "sign up" so to speak, there are employment statutes and human rights codes in place to protect vulnerable employees. I'm not saying that having laws in place guarantees that employees will be protected, but at least there is something that employees can rely on to protect themselves from the evil treatment by employers. Cruise ships seem to be immune from any application of human rights codes or labour law/employment law statutes. Why should these employees not have the protections that are afforded in other workplaces? Just because you "sign up" for a job on a cruise ship, doesn't mean you should accept being grossly mistreated.

anonymous please understand - October 31, 2013 11:19 PM

The truth is ...yes life on board is extremely difficult...unless you have a rank, most likely your sleeping quarter is like a walk in closet and you really don't matter. You are not allowed to have extra pillow case( which, is made up of foam , not down like guests/ ranks) Besides working all day why would you need a nice pillow?)I remember once they took our blankets , saying we were not allowed to have them (again ranks, managers, guests can have down filled comforters) they gave us a thin fire safe blanket that did not warm you at all....and then when you went to buy a warm , they would take it as not allowed ...guests have no idea what it is like to work on these vessels and as an American on them I have lot to say as much as I loved my experience on them I know what it took to be there. They laugh with MLC...why?It is a joke. They fudge the hours on the vessels and cover it all up...I saw and had happen to me. I actually worked more hours with the MLC policy as they implemented than prior. They cover up everything on those ships and make it seem as if they care about their staff. No we as staff members care about each other because we have too. They don't ...They say, they have an alcohol policy, well I can say that I saw my roommate get fired for over limit , while a high driven revenue member was not and even after harassment, he was still covered.

Danielle - February 5, 2014 5:21 PM

Anonymous please understand: I agree with your comment about rank. Apparently there are many crew members who disagree that privileges come with your rank. See http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2013/01/articles/crew-news/life-below-deck-4-what-passengers-dont-know-the-cruise-lines-wont-tell-them/