Are Crew Members Receving the Tips You Pay? Watch Royal Caribbean's "Screw the Crew" Scheme

Cruise lines have mastered various way to steal the tips which are intended by passengers to compensate waiters and stateroom attendants.  Carnival's P&O Cruises implemented a policy this year to withhold forwarding the tips paid by cruise passengers if the crew member's performance falls below a 92% rating as determined by management. Read Profits Over People: Carnival's Exploitation of Crew Members is Standard Industry Practice.

This is a real hardship because waiters and cabin attendants are paid a salary of only $50 a month and depend on tips to send money home to their families.

As you can see in the video below, a Royal Caribbean crew member alleges that the cruise line has devised a scheme to systematically divert money intended for the crew into the cruise line's coffers.

Leave a comment below or leave a comment on our Facebook pageRoyal Caribbean Tipping Policy

February 20, 2013 Update: Royal Caribbean objected to the video, threatened the crew member who posted it, and was successful in taking the video down. So much for freedom of speech.  Read our updated article: "Screw the Crew" Video: Banned By Royal Caribbean & YouTube!

Comments (12) Read through and enter the discussion with the form at the end
jovan - December 30, 2012 6:17 PM

i am working as a cook,no tips for me :*

Will B. - December 30, 2012 7:18 PM

Horrible...but I always wondered about that. I KNEW there had to be something that would screw the guys out of the bulk of it. Odd that there is this much profit by the cruise lines, but out of all the stocks I have...they are the lowest gained percentage in my portfolio.

What I don't understand is this: Why do the cruise lines take additional to compensate for what might be paid to them in cash outside their system. So what? The cruise line is not like the IRS...they are not RESPONSIBLE to collect a pound of flesh. (Considering that they don't pay tax with it, anyway....)

thomas serrao - December 31, 2012 2:45 AM

sir i really like ur post but if u go deep n check the sitution behind the scene u will find the actul facts what princess cruises are doing to the dishwashers these guys are working in a very horible conditions sometimes strecting to 20 hrs also but are paid only 550$ a month dey r also told to do the loading n unloading of the food stuff n so on pls post n article on this matter hope to c it ...........

crew - December 31, 2012 4:37 AM

Time for a worldwide tv interview with all these shipping ceo's and straight questions.
Time that they stop doing crew and workers in. The people at the top have so much money that they do not know what to do with it all and yet the crew are suffering.
America is a poweful country and have alot of say in world matters, so its time that this country help crew worldwide.

Sue Hayes - January 1, 2013 10:20 AM

We will not pay into the cruise ship's scheme, just sign the paper to opt out. The worst one we encountered this year was HAL who refused to let us sign the form till the last day of the cruise and on a 21 day broken into to segments in January, we had to sign twice!

Dana A. Strickland - January 2, 2013 10:09 AM

Happy New Year!!
I have only cruised on Carnival and to make sure that my room attendant receives the tip that I think he\she deserves; I only tip in person!! I always have my tips removed from my sign and sail card and I put my tip money personally into the hand of the person I am giving it too!! On the other hand; the last cruise I took my room attendant was horrible and I didn't tip her at all!! Tips need to be earned; not just automatically given!!

Xcrew - February 6, 2013 4:28 AM

Applaud for this guy! This is so true and most passenger don't even tip. And think that some part of this tips goes not only for the 'support team' but goes out also for housekeeping supervisors who give hard time to stateroom attendants. If they don't like you,they inspect you like hell and send you to the bottom ranking of stateroom attendants. Then you will be out of your section for 2 weeks with $100 per week pay. And fire you if you keep repeating on going " BACK OF THE HOUSE".
This is how royal caribbean built their new ships not from investors but 3rd world countries crew members who have no choice but to give support for their families.
As a former stateroom attendant,no matter what you say to the management and even the captain they dont care as they will tell you if dont like the system go find another job as thousands are vying to get yours.So what will you do? Just close your eyes and follow the flow. Sad but true.
Hope that every passenger give tips to the deserving person who services them,not just walk out after the goodtime.

SECRYED - February 19, 2013 9:30 AM

HII GUYS AND TO ALL CO WORKERS ON THE HIGH SEAS, WE KNOE THAT THE SHIP POSITION ARE DIVIDED BETWEEN CREW, STAFF AND OFFIECERS, I WAS EMPLOYEE FROM ROYAL CARIBBEAN AS A ROOM SERVICE ATTENDANT AND THATS THE HELL, WE WORK SO HARD ON THIS DEPARAMENT DEPENDING ON TIPS IN EVERYSINGLE ORDER GATHER A BASIC SALARY, THAT IS A SHIT, NOW THE ONLY WAY TO MAKE MONEY IS OR WAS IN RESTAURANTS AND THE RUMOR IS TRUE THAT ROYAL WILL PLACE FIX SALARY FOR DINNING OR FOOD SERVICE.. NOW IT DOESNT DESERVE TO BRAKE MY ASS FOR ONLY 1200 DOLLARR WHEN WE CAN MAKE THE DOUBLE OF IT,, HOW ABOUT MANAGERS OR HEAD WAITER. THEY MAKE SO MUCH MONEY WHAT THEY DO IN A MONTH I MAKE THAT IN MY WHOLE CONTRACT...IS NOT FAIR WHAT IS GOING ON AT THE DINNING CREW... NOW THEY WILL CHANGE THE SALAY DEPENDING ON TIPS AS A FIX SALARY FOR SO LESS RANGE.... THTA IS WHAT I HAVE TO SAY ABOUT ROYAL...THEY TREAT PEOPLE LIKE SHIT,,,,

xcrew - February 19, 2013 11:02 AM

HI ALL PEOPLE WHO WORKS IN THE HIGH SEAS,,, WE KNOW THAT OUR JOB IS TOO HARD AND BEING SO FAR FROM OUR LOVE ONES,,,NOW THE COMPANY ROYAL CARIBBEAN WANTS TO GAVE US FIX SALY AND THAT IS A MISERY OF SALARY, WE BREAK OUR ASSES IN THE DINNING TO GET A GOOD MONEY BASED ON TIP, NOW THIS PEOPLE WANT TO GUIvE ONLY 1200 DOLLARS WHEN I CAN MAKE THREE TIMES MORE,,SO MEANS THAT DOESNT DESERVES TO GO ONBOARD ON THE RESTAURANS,,,,, I CAN HANDLE EVERYTHING IF THE PAYMENT IS PRETTY GOOD, NOW THE TREATMENT FRO CREW IS TOO HARD,, THOSE MANAGERS AND SUPERVISORS DONT KNOW HOW MANAGE PEOPLE, WE ARE HUMANS BUT THEY BELIEVE WE ARE MACHINES WITHOUT RIGHTS... IM EXCREW MEMBER WHO WORKED IN THE ROOM SERVICE FOR NOTHING,,THERE NO MORE MONEY BASED ON TIPS.... SO CHIP PEOPLE COMMING ONBOARD... my best regards.

.Ex Crew royal Caribbean - March 10, 2013 11:31 PM

Royal Caribbean has more audits than the I.R.S that's a good thing but hell let the crew receive the tips that the guest paid, Royal Caribbean headlines that Cabin Attendants has not receive raise in tips for 13 years, so they approve an increase from 3.50 to 5 dollars so what happen is Royal Caribbean takes out 1.50 per day per guest and we receive 4 dollars per day per person an increase of 50 cents around 20 percent of the guests does not tip at all. So calculating on a 7 days cruise approximately 400 is taken from tips for one stateroom attendant. On a ship the size of the Jewel of the seas carry 72 stateroom attendants, it would be more or less 30000 (30 grand) in one week alone. Imagine on the Oasis of the Seas with around 300 Stareroom attendant, Imagine. Royal Caribbean is laughing going to the bank every week, months and years. How can they loose money. It's a shame the way they are ripping off the poor hard working crew. Please can anyone be helpful, the shame and humiliation that the poor crew is going through, this must stop, please we need help. Slavery on the high seas, shame on Royal Caribbean.

karl - June 8, 2013 10:15 AM

Ya, I'm glad crew talks here, so tourists can find out that your room steward and your waiter get actually only 50usd/month as salary, that's for at least 12 hours a day EVERY day (without ANY day free for 8 months at a time) hard work and courteous smiles and trying to make the passengers feel as royalty, so for all of that their ONLY income is your tips ! your room steward and your waiter feed their families back home exclusively FROM YOUR TIPS !!!! And that's the only reason they're working on ships, to try to make you happy enough that you accept paying their tip. So please, please, people, if they've done their job, always pay their tips IN PERSON (in cash, direct to your Stateroom Attendant) because as of new, the cruise lines have started withholding the Stateroom Attendant's tips, so please pay IN PERSON !

Peter - January 26, 2014 4:19 PM

Check out this link on why auto tipping is good and bad. And it is true, Royal Caribbean does share information with their crew members and not just on the auto tipping. I filled out a survey on a cruise in December 2014, and complained about 2 crew members who in turn the next day let me know about it. One ignored me and refused to take my drink order and the other one non-stopped called my cabin looking for me to contact the ship and take it back.

The problem with passengers not auto tipping, they wait till the last night and skip out going to the dining room and getting away without tipping. I'd suggest not opting out of the auto tipping until the last night, that way your good service continues. As long as you do tip. Remember even okay service is better than what you get at home.